• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone know what kind of snake this is?

Devlin

Inactive
Reaction score
index.php

I'm thinking Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake or Fox Snake, but I wanted confirmation from someone who knows for certain. A friend of mine was in Honey Harbour on a floating mattress when this little beauty slithered across her back...friends on the beach took the picture when it came ashore.

I am not sure what kind of snake it is but if that thing crawled across my back I would have shit myself.

It's a small pic, but it definitly looks like a Fox Snake. The Massasauga Rattler has a slightly  different camo pattern, and a broader head. I had Fox and Corn snakes when I was a kid, I think the Fox is an endangered  species in Ontario now.

Ya I also don't think its a rattle snake, they have more roundish and wide heads.

One problem with the photo is that there are no objects that provide a size reference for Jake (the Snake).

However, I have seen rattlesnakes similarly coloured.  That being said, I have never seen a fox snake so I cannot offer a comparative opinion.

Here's somewhat closer pic at least closer to the tail and there does not appear to be a rattle of any sort

Seeing as there is no rattle on the tail, I'd vote for the Eastern Fox Snake.  It would be nice to have an idea of the size as the Fox snake is 80-140 cm long, an Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake is only 50-70 cm long and the Eastern Milk Snake (also mistaken for the Massasauga Rattlesnake) is 50-90 cm long.  That being said, Fox snakes are excellent swimmers but Massasauga rattlers will only swim when necessary.

Google is your friend.

http://www.rom.on.ca/ontario/risk.php?doc_type=fact&lang=&id=146

Swimming fox snakes are common:
Fox snakes are good swimmers, and they have been recorded swimming over two kilometres between islands.

And, as I said earlier, I've seen similarly coloured rattlesnakes.
Many are mistaken for rattlesnakes and deliberately killed

I, too, would vote for the Eastern Fox Snake.

My first thought was a Milk Snake cause I'm in Alberta and have seen a few in the last couple of years.  I've included a pic (not my own) for comparison.  However I don't know where the pic was taken (besides a locality) and have no idea of their range.
BTW totally harmless (unless you're a gopher!)

edit: found more info

The eastern milk snake (Lampropeltis triangulum) is the only member in Chicago Wilderness of the group of constrictors called "king snakes." Constrictors kill their prey by asphyxiation. King snakes get their name because they often kill and eat other species of snakes, including venomous species such as rattlesnakes.

In Chicago Wilderness, the eastern milk snake may make a meal of DeKay's brown snakes (Storeria dekayi), red-bellied snakes (Storeria occipitomaculata), or eastern garter snakes (Thamnophis sirtalis). The eastern milk snake is the most widespread and variable species of king snake, ranging from southeast Canada, west to the Rocky Mountains, and south to northern and western parts of South America.

And this about the Fox snake

Next I go to nearby Illinois Beach State Park. Here in the sandy soil, the lupines are in bloom. I hear something rustle in the leaf litter. I follow the sound and then I see it — a beautiful western fox snake. It is shaking its tail, sounding just like a rattlesnake. On closer examination, I see the tail has no rattle. The snake is just shaking it on the leaves, impersonating a venomous snake. How clever! It certainly kept me at a safe distance.

Milk Snake top pic and Fox Snake bottom right of the 4 in 1

Without better pictures and a good idea of the size there are a couple of choices.  I would say that it could have been any one of the following:

1.  Northern Water Snake
2.  Eastern Fox Snake
3.  Massassauga Rattlesnake

There is always the possibility it was a Massasauga Rattlesnake, the lack of a rattle doesn't mean anything as they can fall off.  From what I have read, the rattlers are normally found near marshes and bogs, not necessarily lakes.  The Northern Water Snake is often found around lakes, and has similar markings as the one in the picture.  The Eastern Fox Snake has similar markings and is a swimmer too.  There is also the Eastern Milk Snake, which I have had the opportunity to see up close and personal, that is also mistaken for the Fox Snake and rattler but I doubt that's your culprit and they aren't as common around water as the others.  Finally, there is the Eastern Hognose that has the same markings and is found in bogs and marshes but I have no idea if the bugger does much swimming...

edited:  typo  ;D

Hope that helps.

Then send us planes ticket that we can admire them :) !

Wesley  Down Under said:
You aint seen snakes til you come here!

Cheers,

Wes

Well that wasn't very helpful ...  ;) 

That being said, I agree with Yrys, you send over a ticket and I would be more than happy to check out the snakes (and any other cool critters, you know we PMeds dig that sorta stuff... 8))

I went up to Honey Harbour for quite a few years, family cottage. I heard alot about the Rattler, while I was there but never did see one, in fact even though they do inhabit the area to see one is quite rare. We used to go to one island, to get drinking water from the Spring... I can't remember the name of the Island for the life of me, but we travelled there by boat and they had a plaque you could read about the Rattler. Here is a little write up, and picture of the critter that I found in the link that follows.

http://www.science.gc.ca/default.asp?Lang=En&n=94DF84A8-1&edit=off

~Rebecca

Yrys said:
Then send us planes ticket that we can admire them :) !

Ha, the worst local one is the one eyed trouser snake  ;D So ladies (or gents if you are that way inclined) , you've been warned!!

Now, on a more semi serious side, I have a few run ins with snakes here, and yes many are truly nasty, casuing an agonising death within a short period, some even give chase. Tipans, tigers, Fierce, Eastern Browns, and the rest of them. There is also an abundance of phythons too, who have appetites for dogs, cats, native beasts, and the odd attempt at swallowing young children whole.

However, most Australians who are bitten by our poisonus friends, and die from the nip from these creatures, have either tried to kill the beast, or chase it off, so hence the snake is just defending itself. The people die because they are uneducated on 'action if bitten'. There is a simple life saving precidence, and it works!!

The moral of the story, is leave them alone, and odds they'll leave you alone, and if bitten, follow the rules.

Cheers,

Wes

Back