• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone from C SQN RCD or A 8CH in Gagetown 90 to 96

E

Ex-Zipperhead

I left in 96 on a remuster and was just trying to find if there's anyone here i know?

Depends on who your looking for.....

What's your name?

Mr Hand maybe?

Regards

No I'm not Hand but i did see him a few times in Kingston when i was on my P.O.E.T. course.

I would be Brian Henstock

Does anyone know how Rob ovens is making out now? I think he's back in Gagetown now?

Yeah....Rob's still alive in Edmonton. Last time i saw him he just got off his 6A and was waiting for his 3rd hook.

Good to see you here Brian....last time I saw you was when you were in Adm troop working for SSM Mercier(or was it Aligator Al?)

Al Luomala is here as well...he just doesn't post here very often.

Regards

It's always good to catch up to old Army buddys. The Air forces is great place to go after the Army, but i miss the great people i met in the Army.

We must go on though.

I hope there is more people here i know, bring's back good old memories.

Wheres that brother of yours these days?  He was on my QL3 and we were in Germany together.  How is his liver holding out after all these years?

LOL, i think his liver is holding out still, he got out about two years ago though. Lives in Edmonton still.

Do you mind me asking who you are, i went to your QL3 grad but i don't think i met everyone he was on course with.

LOL, How life as a medic, it's being quite some time, you remustered just before me as far as i remember.

How's life treating you?

Don't get him started Brian  ::)

You'll never get him to stop ;D

Regards

Life's good...or as good as it can be in Petawawa.

being a medic's not bad....got some good goes, been places, done stuff...its all good.

Until Franko shows up for his hemorrhoids check up

the rcd's are stationed in gagetown as well? i thought they were only in CFB petawawa

It's only the school now, but the RCD's were there until we rebadged 8CH when the boy's from Germany came home.

Some of the older guys will know for sure, but i think they always switch depending which Regiment was in Germany and which was in Pet, even though all you did was rebadge not get posted.

The 2 Regiments were trading bases for the better part of 30 years.

Hussars were in Pet in the mid 80s until they went to Germany then the Dragoons took over the old Hussar lines in Pet.....hence the Coriano Jr Ranks. RCD hill was known as Hussar Hill, most of the monuments in Pet are from the 8CH.

Before that the Hussars were in Gagetown and the Dragoons were in Pet while (IIRC) the Fort gary horse were in Germany.....

George would have to correct me on that one though.

Regards

OK Franko....

These dates are not exact, I am just giving close approximations, but we are working on exact dates at work for the new museum display.....but of the top of my head,  the RCD were in Toronto and St Jean in 1940 when we said farewell to the Horse and hello to Mechanization.  Of course the RCD were D Day Dodgers as they vacationed in Sicily and Italy while all those other Armd Regiments got their feet wet at Normandy.  They moved on to Southern France where they took a leisurly drive through the French countryside to partake in the Liberation of Holland.  After returning to Canada, I think it was around 1946 when they moved out of Toronto and St Jean to live for a while in Borden (ON not PEI) and then moved up to Petawawa in 1948, where they had trained during summer concentrations since 1905.  In 1953 a bunch went over to Korea as Strats, as did a bunch of Fort Garries.  In 1954, Dog Sqn RCD went to Korea.  Later in the 50's, the RCD moved to the new base in New Brunswick and lived in Oromocto (1956).  Various Sqns rotated into Cyprus, Egypt, and Germany as part of Nato or UN taskings starting way back in 1951.  In 1970 the RCD moved to Iserlohn in time for the move south to Lahr, where they stayed until 1987.  They replaced the 8CH (PL) in Petawawa and have been there ever since. 

Back in the 1950's it was the Fort Garry Horse who replace the RCD in Petawawa, until Unification and they were disbanded. 

RCD Hill was RCD Hill in 1980 when I was a Hussar.  The old Snr NCO Mess was called for Lamone Crossing which is a RCD Battle Honour.  Coriano is near Riccione and south of Rimini where the RCD advance went.  So both Messes have significance to the RCD.

GW

I KNEW I'D GET YOU OFF TO A RUNNING START!!!!!

Tanks for the info George....mind you I know a few Hussars (old guard) that called the hill Hussar hill.  ;)

I am NOT going to tell them that they are wrong!  :eek:

Regards

the RCD were in Toronto and St Jean in 1940 when we said farewell to the Horse and hello to Mechanization.

Do you remember the name of your horse, George? What ever became of him?  ;D

Ex-Zipperhead said:
It's only the school now, but the RCD's were there until we rebadged 8CH when the boy's from Germany came home.

Some of the older guys will know for sure, but i think they always switch depending which Regiment was in Germany and which was in Pet, even though all you did was rebadge not get posted.
My brother hated me calling him a "Drahhhgooooon" he still flip's I'm a Hussar!
Yeh right you Hoooozar !!LOL
We still give stick to each other and he's still proud of being a Muscle Head. :salute:

Back