• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any Loyal Edmonton Regt Here?

?

• vv

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • f

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cbt arms sub tech

Inactive
Reaction score
Any Loyal Eddies here, interested in hearing when your getting to the call for positions in the next Roto for overseas in Afganistan, heard your Regiment's name being thrown around by the DCOMM of LFWA during his speech....

Hi, i am just in the process of transferring to the loyal eddies, from the airfarce, i was told my name was gonna be on a list for a dns platoon attatched to 1service battallion. for the roto going over in feb. i hope i get to go.

The LER was tasked to provide a D&S platoon for TF106. We have had a, shall we say "less than excellent" time of it in the last two years and our numbers dropped by about two thirds. We were only able to fill about 20-25 of the 30-odd positions. The Calgary Highlanders sent up a group of keeners (good on them) to fill in the holes. There will be a selection and the remaining troops in the platoon will head overseas in early 2006. No official word on which camp or who they'll be working for.

A res regt tasked to send a platoon overseas.

My, how the days have progressed.

RoyalHighlandFusilier said:
A res regt tasked to send a platoon overseas.

My, how the days have progressed.

You're not kidding! Back when the only place to go was Cyprus, tours for reservists were as rare as hen's teeth. Then came UNPROFOR, and Bosnia, and it seemed that everybody in the Mo (and their dog) was going overseas.

While there are still problems, I do think the army is on the right track in gradually moving to deploying reservists as formed groups, rather than as individual augmentees. For the time being, a platoon is about as big as we could send out here in the west. I believe that with a year's notice, some of the Ontario units could quite possibly send an entire company, with a few specialty pers from the regs of course.

I am afu'd with the LER, and we had a damn good exercise with them.

i just joined the LER was there last wednesday for the first time, looks like i just missed the start of work up training for afghanistan, but i heard they are short of drivers over there, thats what im trying for.

MoRat said:
I believe that with a year's notice, some of the Ontario units could quite possibly send an entire company, with a few specialty pers from the regs of course.

No chance.  I did ROTO 13 Op Palladium with the CRIC.  I put my name in in April 02.  Pre-deployment trg started May 03.  LFCA was barely able to scrape together a Coy, and there were no spares.  Granted there was admin issues and Op Athena Roto 0 that made manning harder.

I would be surprised if there was a single unit in LFCA that could deploy a full Pl. 

I would be surprised if there was a single unit in LFCA that could deploy a full Pl.  

Serves me right for buying into the hype. It seems that as reservists, one of our favorite sports is to exaggerate the numbers we put on parade.

"Oh yeah? Well, in the Blankshire Fusiliers, we get AT LEAST a brigade group out for the weekend!"

The Cal Highs have between 2 and 3 platoons (I stand to be corrected on that) while the rest of us out west can usually get 3-4 full sections out. I had heard that the average southern Ontario unit was substantially larger because of the higher population density.

i was on parade with the LER's the other night and there was like 20 people there

Krazy-P said:
i was on parade with the LER's the other night and there was like 20 people there

You saw that many? Are you including the brass band, the CO's dog, and the stores guy? For a unit that doesn't have to share the recruiting base with a local rival (like Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, etc) we should have three times our present numbers.

But unless the leadership starts taking an intrest in these things, you can get used to low turnouts for one more year.

MoRat said:
I had heard that the average southern Ontario unit was substantially larger because of the higher population density.

Within 32 Brigade there are six infantry Regiments within 100km of each other and four share two armouries.  Those two armouries are maybe 15km apart.  Population density is counterd by unit density as well as higher employment and more post-secondary facilities competing for potential recruits who are increasingly born outside of Canada.

If you take the six most westerly units in LFWA there is 1,393km between the nearest and farthest.  The closest being the Westies and Seaforths, but at least there is a couple of cities between the two.

The grass is not greener in LFCA, but that should not stop Canada's number one pastime of hating Toronto.

the eddies have one platoon for D and S going this feb, and the potentional to help out the CalHighs on TF107 by sending another platoon, or so the rumint goes

MoRat said:
You saw that many? Are you including the brass band, the CO's dog, and the stores guy? ....

The Cal Highs have between 2 and 3 platoons (I stand to be corrected on that) while the rest of us out west can usually get 3-4 full sections out. I had heard that the average southern Ontario unit was substantially larger because of the higher population density.

I am not the COs dog, but I am the stores guy (regimental clothing), and yeah, we seem to be doing very well as far as numbers for the last few years.   Hope the trend continues.   I was afraid there would be nothing to keep me busy in clothing stores but have been very active; busy soldiers are happy soldiers.

I think you're confusing people with your cap badge; looks to me like the Edmonton Fusiliers (the old 101st), but in that tiny little avatar I initially thought you were a Princess Louise Fusilier until ya started talking about Alberta's second best city.

Think they would let me back in?  I'll bet they wouldn't if I kept yelling "Death wears a windmill!"  haha

UberCree said:
Think they would let me back in?   I'll bet they wouldn't if I kept yelling "Death wears a windmill!"   haha

Good to see you over here, UberCree.

we sent almost 30 guys over for DNS, there on there work up leaving in february. the LERs next opportunity is for TF4 07, but the dates for that are not set in stone yet from my understanding, im still waiting on the dates because i plan on going to afghanistan. but im assuming the work up will start next fall sometime

Back