• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Intended Place of Residence/IPR (merged)

Wow. OK. Let me ponder that for a bit. Really appreciate the help. If this is the case, it would be nice to have had this explanation from Brookfield.

Sorry, but I am still confused.

What about all the Custom benefits listed? I am being told that Custom benefits in my case amounts to $1300 - no money for Realtor fees, land transfer, etc etc.....all the things you need to pay for Sale Of House and Purchase of House. Why are those things not available to me?

ajuks nerrad said:
Sorry, but I am still confused.

What about all the Custom benefits listed? I am being told that Custom benefits in my case amounts to $1300 - no money for Realtor fees, land transfer, etc etc.....all the things you need to pay for Sale Of House and Purchase of House. Why are those things not available to me?

Custom benefits are payable but the "total" amount is restricted to the dollar value assigned from the Funding Formulae  (14.7.02).  35% of the one way travel costs and 35% of the estimated cost to ship 1,000 lbs of HG&E to the IPR location.

So those benefits are payable.  The problem is, $1,300 won't go very far.    :(

Wow. I think you have solved this for me. Thanks so much.

It sucks!!

How can they list all of those things under Custom Benefits, then a few paragraphs later show a Custom formula that will never really amount to much? The two things don't really match in any way whatsoever.

ajuks nerrad said:

It sucks!!

How can they list all of those things under Custom Benefits, then a few paragraphs later show a Custom formula that will never really amount to much? The two things don't really match in any way whatsoever.

I wonder if in cases like this if someone isn't gaming the system and hasn't taken an IPR before if the grievance route to allow for a paid for IPR would be beneficial.

The Regs are pretty clear on the continuous service piece but does a disservice to folks like the OP.

At the end of the day I think it is really amazing that after 33 years, some Reg, some Res, finally getting pensionable, I get 2G benefit for an IPR move. What was the point of even dealing with Brookfield?

ajuks nerrad said:

It sucks!!

Yup, there's not much funding there for any of the big ticket items or even the small ones for that matter.

ajuks nerrad said:
At the end of the day I think it is really amazing that after 33 years, some Reg, some Res, finally getting pensionable, I get 2G benefit for an IPR move. What was the point of even dealing with Brookfield?

Pretty sure Treasury Board sets the rules, Brookfield is just a lowest-bidder company assigned to implement the policy.

The realtor % on a Brookfield move, which I am obviously paying for, is much less than normal - so there is that, I suppose.

What about people like myself who did not CT, I actually left and returned to Reg from civi, should I still be able to get the core benefits for a move equivalent to a return to place of enrollment (immediate annuity qualified)?

Well, I thought I would get the core benefits too, but the core formula does not allow for it.

What a ****ed up way of presenting things in the manual. Baffles me that they list all those benefits, but how can you possibly pay for them?

PuckChaser said:
Pretty sure Treasury Board sets the rules, Brookfield is just a lowest-bidder company assigned to implement the policy.

True, but they're not above interpreting policy in their own interests.

"Look at all these benefits available to you under an IPR 4a release!! Unfortunately, there is very little funding available to you."

I wish they had just said that on day 1.

Gizmo 421 said:
What about people like myself who did not CT, I actually left and returned to Reg from civi, should I still be able to get the core benefits for a move equivalent to a return to place of enrollment (immediate annuity qualified)?

Re-Enrolments are treated slightly different.  If you retired from the Reg F, were entitled to an IPR at the time of release but DID NOT exercise your entitlement and subsequently "re-enrol" back into the Reg F prior to your IPR entitlement period expiring, then the benefit will be extended.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-amend-ch14.page#art-14-01-05

Maybe this is a really silly question, but here goes:

Movers packing, loading, transporting my stuff: What pot of money does that come out of, or am I paying for that too?

ajuks nerrad said:
Maybe this is a really silly question, but here goes:

Movers packing, loading, transporting my stuff: What pot of money does that come out of, or am I paying for that too?

I do believe that you will be entitled to all the Benefits outlined in Sect 1 and 2 of the policy manual.  14.3.07 merely takes some of the benefits which are normally CORE and relegates them to the Custom Benefit.  So Shipment of HG&E is a Core Benefit and stays that way.

PS - I modified some of my posts above to be more reflective and accurate after I read 14.1.05 with regards to Re-enrolment in the Reg F who could have elected an IPR but didn't and the time limits had not expired.

Yes, thanks DAA as always, very helpful, I completely forgot about my original IPR election timeline that had not expired before re-enrollment.

I have to say it really is amazing how many (including those working at Releases) look at that policy manual and conclude that the list of benefits is what you get, period. I'm not the only person who ever did not go a few pages further and study the funding formula. It's akin to being one of those tiny asterixes with all kinds of fine print, but it's even worse than that, because the wonderful list makes no mention of that formula.

I may have said it before, but I cannot think of any scenario (under 4a releases) where that formula would allow for even a few of those listed benefits to be covered. It's an absolute joke that it appears you get X+Y+Z, yet the formula doesn't even allow for X.

33 years in, 28.5yr pension, and I get $2000 and move of my stuff for IPR. I have never been an "entitlement" person, but this is crazy.

Did you get an IPR move when you transferred to pres in 96? Or was that a different system then?

Back