• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

ScottS said:
I think it's probably true that waivers are permitted in rare cases,

You are basing that on what experience ?

If a person is physicaly too large to fit a cockpit, how could you just waive that away ? Think about it.

CDN Aviator said:

If a person is physicaly too large to fit a cockpit, how could you just waive that away ? Think about it.

Just supersize the cockpit  ;D

CDN Aviator said:

If you read back in this thread, you would notice that some people have first hand experience of this occurring.  I didn't mean anything more than that.  I've read a study done by DRDC on the Hawk, and they said it's actually very unlikely that someone would be physically unable to fly the aircraft because they're too large, the requirements are determined for safe ejection clearance.  So basically someone who's too tall could still safely fly the aircraft until they had to eject, then they're in trouble.

And Magic, I was hoping to go 5-9 Jan but was told the other day that it was cancelled cause not enough people were going.  It kind of sucks for my schedule, but I'm now hopefully going the following week.

ScottS said:
  So basically someone who's too tall could still safely fly the aircraft until they had to eject, then they're in trouble.

6 of one, half-dozen the other. That person should be sent to a more suitable cockpit, plain and simple.

He fit fine in the cockpit of the small f16 performing flying duties. He explained that his "leg" bones are to large and under ejection he poosibly could fracture his legs since if they are nestled the wrong way.

Like already said, I don't believe the forces or anyone would train someone with a potential hazard to themselves on a specific platform. The CF have measures in place to determine your suitability prior to any training.

This gentleman was on the Viper East demo team as a exchange pilot from England. 

Well I am at ASC currently awaiting my first run at the CAPSS sim.

I must say the room which I was put me is nice and the people are very friendly. There are currently 11 applicants here mostly ROTP but a few CEOTP. I have ample amounts of time to do whatever.

My first day(today) started early at 0740. We wrote an experimental test untll 1130. The test you cannot prepare for and is quite fun. HOWEVER, it does not count for anything.

My first CAPSS trial is in about an hour or so.

Wish me luck !

The test you cannot prepare for and is quite fun. HOWEVER, it does not count for anything.

Is that the one with the computers and joysticks? Sure looked fun when I went, but they were still setting it up.

Do you still have to write the written AirNav exam?

Guess it's late for a good luck on today's session, but good luck on the others  : )

yes, I still have to write the ASWO exam I beleive Wednesday. The "joystick" exam was fun and abit challenging on the later stages.

My first sim sessions went overal pretty good i hope. I messed up once when I was suppose to do a striahgt a level flight I had sworn they asked for a decend to a different altitude. I however did not crash the machine.

Tomorrow is another day !

Hello everyone, thanks in advance for viewing this post. I have searched the forum numerous times but I could not find a specific answer I was looking for.

I am currently a 09-10 ROTP applicant(1st choice - RMC; 2nd choice - UWO CAMP; Pilot was the only trade listed on the application), waiting to attend the Aircrew Selection at Trenton very soon.

I wish to know if it is mandatory for 'Pilot-only' applicants to write the ACSO written exam besides the CAPSS. I was assuming that the written exam is for applicants who put down both Air Nav and Pilot as their options on their application(Please correct me if I am wrong). I also read from one of the posts saying that DEO applicants are not required to write the ACSO exam. I am a little bit confused as I am trying to cram all the informations into one clear answer.

I would greatly appreciate if any of the readers could provide some of the details.

Thanks again for your time and good luck to all applicants.

EDIT: If it is 'voluntary' to write the ACSO exam, would it cause any disadvantage for the applicant if he/she chooses not to write it?

Why wouldn't you want to write it? 

Edited to add:  Also, if the system allows you a free shot at another (related) trade, I'd take it and at least see how I did.  But I'm obviously being biased here    :2c:

Not answering the questions but if you right it and score well wouldn't it just make your file look nicer and make you look like someone who makes an effort?

Thank you and I appreciate your opinions.

It may sound stupid some readers but I wish to fully concentrate on CAPSS and do not take the extra pressure and burden on my shoulder preparing for the written exam(Only if the test is 'optional'). If it is a necessary exam, however; I would definitely put my best effort. I have already all-in for pilot and it is the only goal I am dreaming to achieve(Please don't get me wrong, I do not mean to neglect other trades).

I guess I'm just nervous and feel like I'm short of time.

It's been a long time since I've written the Air Nav exam, but I didn't think there was even anything to prepare; you walked in cold (or at least I did when it was done at CFRCs.)  So, it shouldn't take away any studying time from the CAPSS. 

It could have changed since then though.

If you really don't want to take ASCO, then I would not bother doing it.  It would be a waste of time for everyone, you included.

As was mentioned above, successfully writing the ACSO exam may make your application more attractive.  If you were DEO and only wanted pilot then you'd obviously not want to or not care about writing the ACSO exam.  The difference if you go to RMC is that you will be enrolled without an MOSID; you will be assigned an MOSID grouping (Pilot, ACSO, and AEC are in one group, Air Operations).  You are assigned an MOSID after 1st year.  You will be ranked against your peers in your grouping and offered MOSIDs based on where you ranked and what MOSID you wanted and/or met the eligibility criteria for.  I can't say specifically how the selection board for RMC enrollment works, but I would imagine that an Air Operations applicant that met the eligibility criteria for all three MOSIDs would, all things being equal, be a more attractive candidate.  You can decline the MOSID offered and release from the forces without penalty after your first year.

That said, there isn't much to prepare for either the CAPSS or the ACSO exam.  The ACSO exam is basically an aptitude exam with an emphasis on math and spatial awareness.  The math required is high school level as you'd expect so some review if you need it may help.  CAPSS attempts to predict your probability of passing PFT and BFT.  The only studying I'm aware of that is noted to have any effect on your ability to pass the CAPSS is actual flying training... one of the reasons that the only way to do CAPSS a second time after a failure is to get a pilot's license or upgrade to a higher level license (ie private to commercial).

Thanks again for taking your time to post great advice.

One thing I am really worried about is that: if I have taken the opportunity to write the test and receive an unsatisfactory result it would bring down my competitiveness, in terms of my application. If this was the case, wouldn't it be better not to write the exam in the first place rather than failing it?

I'm starting to think, why not just take the challenge and write it because the chances are 50/50 anyways? :p

Thanks again everyone, I'd appreciate any further advice.

Back