• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Weapons Controllers?

Judy

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking for qualified air weapons controllers....

I just finished the weapons course in Cornwall, and will be starting into the 'real world' soon.  Want to know what I should expect, etc.

AWC hey?  Sorry to hear that.  But look on the bright side (pun intended), the Hole's days are numbered and soon you can move above ground with the rest of your AEC brethren.

Hey, I'm THRILLED to be weapons - so much more exciting and interesting than air traffic control.  Way better posting options too.

I don't think I could do ATC every day... too dull.

Judy Judy Judy,

You won't be in "the real world" for a bit, but welcome anyways.

And btw, you're an "Aerospace Controller".

Saw the 42 sign, you coming to Cold Lake?

Cheers-Garry

I also want to be an Aerospace Controller. I currently have it in as my second choice in my application, my first is pilot but I heard there is not much chance to get that. I'm wondering what are the requirements to be accepted to this job? I have a degree in Arts and not much else, but I recently started work on a private pilot program. Can anyone tell me more about the job that the website doesn't say? :)

Shadow - I did my OJT at 42, and I may be coming back for the August TFC course - are you there now?

Garry - thanks for "correcting me" that I'm not yet in the "real world" and that I'm an "Aerospace controller".   Ask any weaponeer and they call themselves an air weapons controller - just like people in ATC call themselves Air Traffic Controllers.   You're obviously in the trade - AEC Op, so you would know that too.   Also - I wanted to talk to a weapons controller... not just a general AEC person - so why not specify???  If I said "Any AECs out there?"... I would get some VFR controller telling me about the tower! But thanks for that great tip.

strongchristian said:
I also want to be an Aerospace Controller. I currently have it in as my second choice in my application, my first is pilot but I heard there is not much chance to get that. I'm wondering what are the requirements to be accepted to this job? I have a degree in Arts and not much else, but I recently started work on a private pilot program. Can anyone tell me more about the job that the website doesn't say? :)

Christian - Im AEC and I have a Kinesiology degree!

PM me, and I'll give you all the info you want. 

Hey :)

I'm really jealous of you! Congrats on getting in!

Well, to start, what's your average day like on that job?. How long is your contract there? What base are AWC usually stationed at, how often do they have to go overseas? Is it fun?!

Was that too much? :D

Vancouver recruiting office seems slow as molasses, just between you and me  ??? Still havent even gone in to write my CFAT yet

Geez Judy, you seem to be getting a little defensive with Garry.  You are now on the "dark" side of the trade are are bound to get more ribbing from your more "enlightened" ATC brothers and sisters.  You will find that the barbs flow both ways.  As for getting a reply from another AWC, you probably won't get one.  There's no checklist for it.

You are very correct about AWCs having the better posting options.  But as far as excitement levels are concerned, I think you'll find with the lack of aircraft and pilot shortage in the CF that both sides of the trade have their dull moments.  This is when you'll get to hear all the "Well in my day..." stories.  I know Garry has a few of those.

Any how, from an old "VFR" controller, welcome to the wonderful world of "AEC".

I wasn't trying to be rude with him, I just didnt think it was necessary for him to be "scolding me" like the little Jr. O that I am.

I was just trying to post a friendly thread to find another AWC to talk to - not trying to assert how great I am now that I finished Cornwall! :)

What are you doing now? 

Judy,

Yes I am an ATIS Tech with 42 now... posted here in Jan 05. Love it. Great place to work ... Don't know about ops side of things but the tech (maintenance) side is good. Lots of good folks in ops too.

Cheers

Judy

What am I doing now?

I'm currently working out of trade.  Trying to "broaden my depth of experience".  It doesn't appear to be working.

Actually Judy I wasn't scolding a "Jr O", I was ribbing a fellow AEC.

The "ribbing" will get worse when you get on Squadron, and much worse if you ever make it to the Mess.

...particularly if you see me there :)

Cheers-Garry.

Why? Friendly ribbing I can see, but I would be disappointed if experienced AEC weren't professional and helpful to the new people. I'm expecting alot more maturity than what you see with privates and drill sargeants starting in the infantry.

strongchristian said:
Why? Friendly ribbing I can see, but I would be disappointed if experienced AEC weren't professional and helpful to the new people. I'm expecting alot more maturity than what you see with privates and drill sargeants starting in the infantry.

Strongchristian,

I would suggest that you grow a stronger skin if you view the mild exchange that has gone on as excessive.  As well, seeing as you are not yet in the military let alone the infantry maybe should refrain from broad generalizations regarding people, institutions, and cultures you know nothing about.  As has been said before many time on this board, "Stay in your lane."

Garry - are you in Cold Lake at 42?  Or are you on the "dark side" aka ATC? :)

I probably know more about Air traffic control than you "ammo tech."  :p :p :pI've been in ATC towers and I'm a pilot. I wasn't talking about anything going on in this thread, but I'm just aware of how complex the ATC job is and I'm just hoping the Air force are as good at training new people as Nav Canada is. I'm currently in the application process for both the civilian and military ATC jobs.

strongchristian said:
I probably know more about Air traffic control than you "ammo tech."   :p :p :pI've been in ATC towers and I'm a pilot. I wasn't talking about anything going on in this thread, but I'm just aware of how complex the ATC job is and I'm just hoping the Air force are as good at training new people as Nav Canada is. I'm currently in the application process for both the civilian and military ATC jobs.

And ammo tech knows a lot more about serving in the military than you do at this point. As this is army.ca, not navcan.ca and as you have expressed an interest in taking the Queen's shilling my suggestion is listen to the advice offered.

strongchristian said:
I'm expecting alot more maturity than what you see with privates and drill sargeants starting in the infantry.

So notwithstanding the totally empty profile you have, please enlighten us as to your vast experience of the relationship between Sergeants that teach drill (we don't have Drill Sergeants in the CF) and the Privates they are instructing.

strongchristian said:
I'm currently in the application process for both the civilian and military ATC jobs.

My bad. Didn't realize that you hadn't joined yet. Just a lot of pokers in the fire, trying to determine your commitment I guess.

Back