• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Shows

My wife was SCUBA diving in Lake Ontario a couple of weeks ago. I was on the Etobicoke shore. The Lancaster flew over where I was standing. Awesome.

A few years ago we had a B-17 spend a few days out our local airport and it did some runs above town. It was several hundred feet up (probably even over 1000ft) and still quite loud, but my favourite memory has to be heading to work morning, sitting at an intersection and seeing it flying low (maybe 100 or 200 feet) over the farmland parallel to the highway before banking left and following the road back to the airport. Quite impressive.

Sorry for reviving a necro-thread. I had originally posted this in the "Master of Air" thread, but it didn't appear it was getting noticed. And I thought people might in interested in this. Anyway, the "Flying Legends of Victory" will be flying around Ontario/Quebec this summer with an appearance here in Kingston from 16 - 21 July. More info here:

www.azcaf.org

Here are the dates for other tour stops in Ontario and Quebec: (And US stops)

www.azcaf.org Tour Stops

I was able to crawl through their B-17, B-25 and B-29 a few years ago when they swung through Ontario and highly recommend it. My pockets aren't deep enough for a ride.

A B1B Lancer overflew the house one day at an air show in Winnipeg. It went west "dirty" but on its return it was clean and about 500 feet off the deck. Very impressive. And noisy

The B-29 would be something else!!
We even got into sections that weren't open to the public through a friend-of-a-friend.

Actually, I was more impressed with the B-25 and B-17; 'impressed' in the sense of how little space there was and what it would have taken to crew it. i can't imagine how difficult it was to move around in them wearing bulky clothing against the cold and a parachute, let alone in a panic. I get a similar sense about the Lancaster but I've not been on board one.

I get a similar sense about the Lancaster but I've not been on board one.

Lanacaster crew survival rates were not good.

41 Lancasters were shot down on the three raids on Revigny, France in July 1944. Of the 290 aircrew, 59 survived.

We even got into sections that weren't open to the public through a friend-of-a-friend.

Actually, I was more impressed with the B-25 and B-17; 'impressed' in the sense of how little space there was and what it would have taken to crew it. i can't imagine how difficult it was to move around in them wearing bulky clothing against the cold and a parachute, let alone in a panic. I get a similar sense about the Lancaster but I've not been on board one.
I crawled through the Lancaster at Nanton. Not ergonomic. At all.

Sharp corners, everywhere. The wing box was a bugger to climb over.

I also walked through a B17 in Edmonton. It was smaller inside than I imagined.

Back