• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
As a matter of fact, all courses I have taken with older candidates (30+) have proven your point. In my experience, the older troops have learned leadership skills from life, and usually have a good repoire with instructors (although I have found instructors have taken it a bit too easy on some of the old guys, its nice to have a "unoffical" communication system with the staff).

Of the 50-something candidates at my selection board last May, I don‘t think there was anyone there younger than 24. The average age was about 27, with a few people in their mid 30s. I am 25 myself. We were all DEO candidates with degrees, though.

So anyway, 27 is definitely not too old. Heck, you‘ll only be 47 by the time you retire; still a young man.

Thanks for the replies guys.... I presumed there would be the occasional "i think i met a man once who.." but to actually see some replies of people around the same bracket just enlisting now is inspiring..

I like to think I am different now than I was 10 years ago, and with that, I will be a better contributor....

And yes.. I look forward to retiring before I am 55 ;)

I was 24 when I first joined. I came back at 33. LOL...one of the guys I am tasked with is 42. He came back last year.

At 27, youre a puppy.

Travis, that story of a 50 year old russian guy is no joke. He was on my basic. He was originally a major with their armoured. He did very well and no doubt an excellent soldier.

There was a 30-35 year old Yugoslavian guy on a unit run basic this past winter, originally an Artillery Captain. I wonder how it must feel to get busted down to Private(recruit)!!! ;-)

Hi This is my first post here and I have Really wanted to join the canadian army for as long as I can remember and I just wanted to know whats the youngest you can be to be accepted ?

I don‘t believe that there is one, except maybe forced retirement at 55.

Like I said before, I had an individual on my course who was 53!

The CRA (compulsary retirement age) for the regular forces I believe, is 55 (as of this time).
But you must be able to complete at least three years of service, which means you would have to be enrolled on or before your 52nd birthday. There is a rumour the CRA may be extended to age 60, but I‘ve beeb hearing that for a couple of years now. Hope this helps.

you can find more info on the reserves at the dnd website. http://www.dnd.ca/ check it out!

so if i signed up now they‘d hold my application untill i turned 16/17?

if you plan on joining when you are 17, and you are only 15 now, dont bother untill you‘re 16. However, if you want to join as soon as you turn 16, and you are 15, then you can apply now. although you would have to discuss this with your unit recruiting officer...well not your unit, but you know what i mean.

Back