• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AESOp ( MOC 081)

• Thread starter Thread starter aesop081
  • Start date Start date
You will find the instructors top notch, always willing to spend extra time after cloass or on  weekends. I was onthe first BAC in Winnipeg back in 2002, lots of fun, lol.  I soon realizd,not studying was not going to cut it, lol.  As the above poster noted, you get a lot of info thrown at ya.  Unlike some courses where u do only 1 or 2 subjects at a time, on BAC you may have 3 or 4 on the go,so on emust prioritize the studying. Weather was actually a fairly complex subject, lots of info.  People fail, yes, not sure what the percentage is, but its not becuase the instructors won't help!!  I belive ur a navy guy CallofDuty, too easy to arrange a famil flight or pop in to one of the Squadrons near ya. Aesops love to talk about their job!!  Just dont come to late inthe afternoon as you may be lonely!!

I live a couple of minutes from shearwater and have met some AESOPS who seem to LOVE their job......thats why I'm so interested!!
  How long is the academic side of things?
C.O.D.

I'm no longer in, for some reason I thought best to move to be with my wife in the USA, lol  Now I have to suffer going through University to become a Registered Nurse.  I belive BAC is around 6 months in duration now?? I'm sure others Will chirp in with a more accurate time line.  CP 140 MOAT in Greenwood is approx 5 months depending on weather and a/c serviceability,not sure how long  the helo course in Shearwater is, again depends on a/c serviceability and weather. 
I found BAC to be high paced during the academic phase, lot thrown at ya, but once you started into the trainer (if one makes it that far,lol) the pace slowed down a fair bit.  Keep in mind I was on the first BAC course in Winnipeg, prior to that it was ABATS in Comox BC. Lot of new material/ teaching methods on BAC, so we were the guinea pig course. 
Accomodations on BAC are top notch. Own room, has a ful bath/shower, TV with cable, small fridge, coffee maker, microwave,computer desk, air conditioner/heater (u control the temp), pretty spiffy, lol  Even had maid service!!  Was not suppose to but the Aesop accom are in transient quarters, so  the building maids cleaned our rooms, but we treated them well. Al the empty beer bottles they wanted, lol plus gifts!  Best trade in the Forces, miss it a lot.

Wow accomadations sounds amazing.....and it would be great to have the room to yourself and not worry about noisy roommates and such.  Actually it sounds like the officer quarters at shearwater or Juno towers even, with the maids and all.
  Would be hard to be away from the wifey and kids that long though, thats for sure.
C.O.D.

Not sure if they still do the maids. We were not entitled to it, but if ur nice to people, they tend to be nice back at ya. 

CallOfDuty said:
  Wow accomadations sounds amazing.....and it would be great to have the room to yourself and not worry about noisy roommates and such.  Actually it sounds like the officer quarters at shearwater or Juno towers even, with the maids and all.
  Would be hard to be away from the wifey and kids that long though, thats for sure.
C.O.D.

Come and be an AC Op instead.  You live in a hotel and get maid service daily while you're on course.  8)

Why not give your naval career a chance before seeking other avenues? Personally if a brand new OS came into my section already looking to get out all it would demonstrate to me is a poor attitude....

Point taken EX...
Can you belive it...been in the Navy almost a year now......and still it will be another year or more until I even see what a ship looks like on the inside?
Can't wait to try it out sometime :o
C.O.D.

Well guy you are on a demanding course and these days with technology being what it is we need people that know how to repair the systems cold. I would rather have someone that has spent 3-5 years off a ship learning the system then someone that is a tinkerer and figures things out as a hobby.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Why not give your naval career a chance before seeking other avenues? Personally if a brand new OS came into my section already looking to get out all it would demonstrate to me is a poor attitude....

Have to agree with Ex-Dragoon.  I intended to become an AES Op from the first day I joined the army.  However, I didn't apply until I had about 6 years in and I didn't get selected until I had 8 Years.  I wouldn't trade those 8 years with the Dragoons for anything.  The biggest thing to remember is - the best way to be a competitive applicant is to be a strong performer in your current trade.   

Could not agree more than with what x-zipperhead stated.  Enjoyed my time in the navy, a few yrs less would have been ok  though!! lol

CallOfDuty said:
C.O.D.

True it would be hard to be away, but you could be posted on the west coast, where you would be looking at over a year away from home.  At least you have the chance of doing half of your training in your own backyard!  Short term pain for long term gain!

As for AESops loving the job, I am still looking for the one that hates it!  That quest is proving to be the most difficult yet!

I knew of a few disgruntled ones, mostly due to posted where they did not want to go, but actually hating the job, or wished they were back in their old trade, can't think of any!

Got my offer this morning, once everything is finalized I will officially change my name to Sub_Hunting_Guy..... Ok that might sound a little gay, perhaps I will have to put more thought into it.....

Anyway I am looking forward to the new challenges that await me....

Congrats Sub_Guy!  And good luck with the name change thing.  ;D

Congrats and welcome to the trade.  I remember what a great feeling it was when that offer finally came.  You will be quite busy over the next 12-18 months but you have just joined the best trade in the CF, IMHO.  You should have a COTP INSTR message follow shortly ,IIRC, and then a BAC CRSE LOADING message.  Best of luck getting on the earliest course possible.

BTW, keep working on the new moniker because, yeah, Sub_Hunting_Guy is kinda gay ;D

You could just be unoriginal like me and go for x-Sub_Guy.

Edited; because my keyboard and I are not getting along today

Congrats sub_guy......

Now dont be like that last bunch and fail BEW

Seems to be a fair amount of pre-BAC students fail BEW. One gets a lot of info thrown their way on BEW and if your not used to studying, can be a difficult course.  Congrats, I stil recall the day I got my acceptance letter, I just happened to be painting my bedroom an airforce type of blue,lol  Congrats and best of luck.

flames9 said:
Seems to be a fair amount of pre-BAC students fail BEW. One gets a lot of info thrown their way on BEW and if your not used to studying, can be a difficult course. 

More than a fair amount last week....... :o

I hope it was a wake-up call for those guys.....

Back