• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]

05Mountie said:
Its not all that intensive...

No, it isn't that intensive; nevertheless, the school has had people fail exams and Progress Review Boards have considered cease training from AEC for repeat failures.

Aerospaced_out said:
No, it isn't that intensive; nevertheless, the school has had people fail exams and Progress Review Boards have considered cease training from AEC for repeat failures.

All right, don't freak me out. I haven't even done basic training yet.  :p  :blotto:

Thanks for all the information - I was wondering if you could give some insight into the general promotion periods for AECs?  As in around what times in your career you should expect to be promoted to Lt./Capt./etc.  Thanks for any help!

Aerospaced is right with his comment, I can see people failing... multiple times.  Its like everything else, just put in your time and you'll be fine.  What I meant is that its not rocket science, but if you're not willing to work hard, you will find a way to fail.  Just study and you'll be fine.

Grando, as its been mentioned many times, eligibility for Lt. is 1 yr after your commission date and Captain is 3 yrs after commission date.  You will get your Lt. after you check out , so if that's more than 1 yr after your commissioning date (as it likely will be), then you will be back paid to your eligibility date.  Pretty sure this is standard across the board for all occupations.

Hello everyone, this is my first post.  I cant believe how much info there is on these threads.  My apt. test scores were just a bit shy of AEC.  I have my rewrite scheduled for 2 weeks yesterday morning.  I have been preparing like crazy.  I do believe that one can prepare or 'study' for an apt. test.  I have gotten my hands on a passbook for the General Aptitude Test (Battery) and this thing is my new bible.  I got it at the Brantford library.  I phoned my recruiter a few weeks ago and spoke to him about rewritting and he dropped hints like "you're close...you're close" and "okay, so, brush up on your math and we'll see you".  Ive gone back to grade 1 math to prepare.  I want this job soooooooo bad.  being on these boards make me want it even more. 

Here is a cold hard fact about AEC academics... no one has successfully qualified as an AEC who hasn't first achieved an overall academic average at the school of at least 89%. In fact only two people have ever even graduated CFSACO with an academic average of less than 89... they both failed qualification. There is a couple of theories as to why this is the case with the most prevalent being that if you are not prepared academically for the simulations it makes them harder. At a certain threshold (apparently 89%) the lack of knowledge causes a cascade effect that snowballs people into eventual failure.

Now you know why the CFAT threshold for AEC sits at the 60th percentile while for all other officer classifications it is 38. Smart people tend to do better academically. However that isn't the whole story... is it ever? Motivation also seems to be a key factor. I say this because as Mountie points out... it ain't rocket science. The academics in the D/L and even at CFSACO are arguably at the same level as grade 11 or 12. The material does come at you fairly quickly but it isn't onerous. Suffice to say it is all quite "doable" so long as you actually do it and give it your best. So staying motivated may be just as important as being smart.

That's all very interesting, not to mention slightly intimidating. Motivation isn't a problem for me. When I want something, I give it 100% and then some. The smart part, however...well.... :p  LOL  Hopefully, it will all work out for me and for other AECs-to-be here. I'll be sure to give my absolute best effort with both the D/L and courses at CFSACO.

Ahhh... you've been trapped! As an AEC you came through the CFAT filter. Now, CFAT is not the best predictor of AEC success but it does tell us quite a bit about your cognitive ability. At the 60th percentile you are smart so you have no excuse not to do well academically.  :)

Thanks for the information - I've been quite aware of the main posts on AEC in here, and wasn't aware of the Capt. promotion period.  I appreciate it though!

Grando said:
Thanks for the information - I've been quite aware of the main posts on AEC in here, and wasn't aware of the Capt. promotion period.  I appreciate it though!

Nice to see you posting, Grando! Where are you in the process now...OJE?

sinistersuperspy said:
What determines the length of OJE anyway?

I would say the course dates for CFSACO probably determine that. We will likely be on OJE roughly April - August just from looking at the '09 course schedule, Kyle. That is my guess, anyway. We'll know soon enough!

How did the M&G go today, by the way? :)

Really good! Although i was the only AEC surrounded by a bunch of arties, lol. It was a good time though. I ended up giving Alex a ride home - so we had a great chat about expectations andwhat not.

You ready?

sinistersuperspy said:
Really good! Although i was the only AEC surrounded by a bunch of arties, lol. It was a good time though. I ended up giving Alex a ride home - so we had a great chat about expectations andwhat not.

I'd have loved to have been there to increase the AEC number. lol We sure do have a lot of Artillery guys on our course! ;) I'm not nearly as adventurous as Jeff and Matt, though! The next M&G will be at the Mega!

You ready?

As ready as I'm gonna be! Just 3 and a half weeks left!  ;D

Jeff said there were two other AEC's at the ceremony today with him - but didn't come for the m & G. one set for jan 5, and one for jan 18(?).

Hard to believe so little time - tomorrows my last day at work - then 3 wks with the fam - ignoring the "separation anxiety" elephant in the room.

how do they determine where our oje will take place? i'd rather be closer to home then say - comox - but the sched i got from you, i think, says we take our yearly leave at the same time ..... i know i know - getting ahead of myself.

sinistersuperspy said:
Jeff said there were two other AEC's at the ceremony today with him - but didn't come for the m & G. one set for jan 5, and one for jan 18(?).

Hard to believe so little time - tomorrows my last day at work - then 3 wks with the fam - ignoring the "separation anxiety" elephant in the room.

how do they determine where our oje will take place? i'd rather be closer to home then say - comox - but the sched i got from you, i think, says we take our yearly leave at the same time ..... i know i know - getting ahead of myself.

Not long ago, I was talking via PM with an AEC who was doing his OJE at the time. He told me that the AEC Career Manager is really good at keeping AECs close to their families for OJE. Thus, I am hoping for one of the air bases in NS, preferably Shearwater. I also saw that info re: taking annual leave during OJE (which came from Aerospaced_Out, I believe). It would be nice to have a little time with family (in my case, my daughter) immediately after BMOQ, but we'll see if that is possible or not. One step at a time, eh. ;)

I feel a bit like split personality - one side wants to jump in and get going, the other is aching to ease into the initial "aloneness" - but im just glad to be finally underway - i know you had to wait a long time too - just means it will be all the more worth it.

Apparently Dustin and I are the "big guys" as Jeff said today. I think it was a compliment .....lol

Good luck, Staloney - making the effort and preparing is 90 % of the battle. Just don't burn yourself out, lol!

sinistersuperspy said:
I feel a bit like split personality - one side wants to jump in and get going, the other is aching to ease into the initial "aloneness" - but im just glad to be finally underway - i know you had to wait a long time too - just means it will be all the more worth it.

I think we'll be so busy, there won't be much time to feel homesick. Also, we're going to be bonding with our platoon members and doing stuff with them all day every day...that has to help assuage any loneliness, at least for the first while.

Apparently Dustin and I are the "big guys" as Jeff said today. I think it was a compliment .....lol

LOL...He's probably afraid he might have to carry one of you after the ruck march. Him not being such a "big guy" and all. ;) {Does he lurk in the AF section? lol}

Back