• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AEC - Goose Bay?

TimBit

Inactive
Reaction score
Questions to controllers out there (in here?):

I know at least one of you has controlled a fair amount of time at 5 Wing Goose Bay - can anyone tell me if anyone is still controlling there? I cannot see any position in APS. I`m very familiar with the sad fate that 5 Wing has undergone but has the air management been turned over to Nav Canada? Is this a permanent move or is this only while training is down (read non-existant)?

Sad... sounds like the kind of place my wife would love  ???  ::)

Timbit,

The CF no longer has controllers in Goose Bay.  SERCO has been providing air traffic services there since 1998.  I am not sure how the airspace works now, I think it still belongs to DND though.  As for the future, I don't think you will ever see military controllers back in Goose Bay.

Air4ce

Air4ce- 100% correct. I was the last controller to sign off duty in the MTCA in '98. Sad day for sure.

Goose was more than just a great place to live (and it was a GREAT place to live!)...but the traffic was incredible! Daily launches of over 100 fighters at a time (you have to see a CAMEO launch to appreciate it) and the recoveries- you'd have all of these fighters returning at roughly the same time, along with helicopters, twin otters, Dash-8's, and heavy Civ airliners. Being sequenced #15 on approach (of formations!) was normal. No one ever did squares, and often the count went over the magic 100 movements per hour. X-Rwy operations was always in effect- and we had to control an active waterdrome 3 miles out as well!

Busy doesn't cut it...

That training in NATO ops was priceless for our controllers- imho we'll never see that level of traffic again-including Maple Flag ops.  Wost thing is the Allies have pretty much left the Goose- meaning the glory days are over anyways.

Cheers- Garry

Back