• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice needed - Best Winter Gloves?

DirtyDog

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm currently on Christmas leave from St. Jean BMQ and will be doing our field training in Farnham shortly after getting back.  Our  instructors have stated they will allow us (and even advised we do so) to purchase and use our own winter finger gloves.  Personally, and I know it's the case for many others, I find the issued combat gloves at basic (with the leather outers and felt inners) to be less then ideal and I have hands that are difficult to size gloves for (short and stubby :D).  Also, many of the gloves issued are used and some have large holes in them.

So I'm looking for advice on what are some of the best gloves I can purchase out there on the civilian market (I have no QM access).  One stipulation was that they had to be black (or atleast mostly black).  I used to buy Mechanix type contractor gloves when I worked construction and they would give a nice tactical fit allowing me to operate the C7 and do things like buttons up easier, but I'd be worried about them not being warm enough when not on the move and active.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

We used to have an issued piece of kit titled "Mittens, trigger finger", or something close to that.

They were good leather mittens, complete with a good liner, which had a "trigger finger" appendage built in.  If you were carrying your weapon, you had your trigger finger in its' respective place, while your other three fingers kept warm together in the main mitt.  When you didn't need your trigger finger handy, it went into the mitt with its' mates, and all was cozy.  (Picture a normal mitten, with a thumb "receptacle", then add a "trigger finger" receptacle in the appropriate place).

I don't know if that mitten is still on issue - if it isn't, it should be, if it is - get some.

I beleive we were still issued those mittens.  I own a similar pair in civy life.  Popular with Hydro workers.

Anyway, I was hoping for something that offered a little more dexterity.

I like the "Best Defense" Gore-Tex (TM) gloves issued to the US Army.  Good, tough, outer leather, good dexterity and quite warm and dry.  You can buy them online for about $80 CAD.

DirtyDog said:
I beleive we were still issued those mittens.  I own a similar pair in civy life.  Popular with Hydro workers.

Anyway, I was hoping for something that offered a little more dexterity.

Seen.

The other method we used to use was to wear combat glove liners under the Arctic mitten.  When you need the dexterity of all five fingers at once you took your gloved hand out of the mitten, did what you had to do, then put it back into the mitten.

As a former Winter Warfare Instructor, I truly do not believe that you will find a glove that will keep your hands warm in extreme cold,. Just look at your hands - there's absolutely no fat there - you can see the bones.  There is no insulation in your hands - I understand that you need dexterity, but I also understand that you only need dexterity for a few minutes at a time.

If you DO find such a glove, I'd be very interested to know about it (I still live and work in a cold climate - Canadian, eh?)

Haggis said:
I like the "Best Defense" Gore-Tex (TM) gloves issued to the US Army.  Good, tough, outer leather, good dexterity and quite warm and dry.  You can buy them online for about $80 CAD.

Will definitely look it up.

Where's the best place to look online?

I'll need to get them shipped up her by Jan 5 if I go with them.

Thanks.

Roy Harding said:
Seen.

The other method we used to use was to wear combat glove liners under the Arctic mitten.  When you need the dexterity of all five fingers at once you took your gloved hand out of the mitten, did what you had to do, then put it back into the mitten.

As a former Winter Warfare Instructor, I truly do not believe that you will find a glove that will keep your hands warm in extreme cold,. Just look at your hands - there's absolutely no fat there - you can see the bones.  There is no insulation in your hands - I understand that you need dexterity, but I also understand that you only need dexterity for a few minutes at a time.

If you DO find such a glove, I'd be very interested to know about it (I still live and work in a cold climate - Canadian, eh?)

Yes, I definitely understand what you are saying.

The weather so far this winter has been "unseasonal" to say the least, so I'm not entirely sure what we will be in store for by the end of January in Farnham.  I agree mittens are unavoidable in a harsh winter climate, but if perchance it will be cool to mild, I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks.

Roy Harding said:
Seen.

I'll second this; if there's any mountaineers or ice climbers here, they'll tell you its better to slip your bare hands out of a good pair of mitts once and a while, rather than risk losing circulation from cold glove hands.
 My suggestion? A thinner pair of insulated tac gloves under a big comfy goretex based over mitt.

Outer:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442543895&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698935&bmUID=1166557726683

Inner:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442544477&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698971&bmUID=1166557815764

Inner:
https://ringersgloves.com/viewcart.aspx

Ringers gloves can be ordered from the "Source Shop", in Toronto.

Don't forget; lightweight synthetics melt easily, take that into account when handling things like kit stoves & vehicles.  Also, check out Marks work warehouse for cost saving alternatives- there's lots of other brands than goretex that work just as well, such as hyvent & powersheild.

Good luck!

Although I like papatango's layered approach just remember that the field is hard on gloves and I hate paying lots of money for gloves that'll get ruined by diesel, naptha and hard wear.  I always carry a few pairs of these puppies.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442617636&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698971&bmUID=1166558182594

Combined with these

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442617627&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698935&bmUID=1166558391678

Makes a cheap yet effective way to stay warm.  The gloves order a size smaller than normal and you'll have little to no difficulty in operating anything.

I'll totally agree; but don't expect wind or water resistence from fleece.  If you're spending the money, put it into the outers; you'll be taking them off when performing tactile tasks like filling stoves, etc.

I use a pair of MEC softshell gloves for temps around -5 or so, a pair of the issued trigger finger leather and wool gloves for any colder, and on occasion a pair of snowboarding gloves in a military friendly color. I also use a set of Manzella windstopper liner gloves, they are great for cutting out wind (hense the name) and holding in heat under a pair of gloves. these allow for the dexterity without having to take all your layers of gloves off when doing thoes activities that require some skillful finger work.

my 0.02.

I am not in an extrememly cold part of the country (Chilliwack BC, but I have found some pretty warm gloves at Home Depot, Superstore and Costco.

In fact, I just picked up the Costco ones a couple days ago, and as such, still have them in my backpack, they are Head brand - Outlast model.  They have a tag inside the collar that says Breathable and Waterproof, a small pocket on the back that would fit a heat pack or keys (about 3" x 3"), and have a web strap on the wrist, and a shockcord strap on the collar.  Pretty durable looking material on the palm and fingertips.  The fingertips might stick in a trigger guard, but when I put them on, they don't seem too horribly bulky.

I have not had these out in the cold yet, but when I wore them at about 2 C, my hands were sweating up a storm, so I have a feeling that they are going to be pretty good (for me, I have pretty warm hands) to about -15 C.

Their colouration probably fits with what you need as well, they are black with dark grey highlights.

This is them right here, but at Costco, they were $16.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/HEAD-Outlast-Gloves-Adult-Size-XLarge-NEW-w-Tags_W0QQitemZ130058165905QQihZ003QQcategoryZ21234QQcmdZViewItem

qjdb

DirtyDog said:
I used to buy Mechanix type contractor gloves when I worked construction and they would give a nice tactical fit allowing me to operate the C7 and do things like buttons up easier, but I'd be worried about them not being warm enough when not on the move and active.

Seems like you already know what you're looking for.  Assuming you've worked long hours in a cold environment as a construction worker, you're going to understand the required balance between dexterity and insulation.  You're also going to know the harsh working conditions that'll destroy an inferior glove.  I like mechanic-style gloves for the armour across the fingers, otherwise my knuckles get all cut up when I run.

Personally, I'll recommend for contact gloves a pair of the rubber-coated string knit gloves.  Fairly good insulation (better than the garden/contact gloves we're issued), great grip, and little dexterity loss.  They're dirt cheap (about $5) and easily attainable. 

Best gloves i ever bought were wet suit gloves.  Yes, using for diving.  They are warm even when wet and usually my hands sweat in them.

I used neoprene gloves for a while, and hated them for the very fact my hands would sweat. Eventually when you wear them it will get cold enough to get real unpleasant with wet clammy hands. go for something that is dry and warm, something that wont make your hands sweat.

DirtyDog said:
Will definitely look it up.

Where's the best place to look online?

I'll need to get them shipped up her by Jan 5 if I go with them.

Thanks.

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=5465&TabID=1

Shamrock said:
I like mechanic-style gloves for the armour across the fingers, otherwise my knuckles get all cut up when I run.
Do you tend to fall down a lot when you run?  >:D

JM, look who it is making the remark.  Of course he doesn't fall down, it's just the fact that those knuckles drag while he walks, so imagine what they do when he runs.  ;D

Seems to me he probably drags them on the ground.  ;D

I got really warm, really thin gloves with leather palms from a hunting/sporting goods store. Problem is, as they are synthetic, and I am a smoker (and apparently a dumb one at that) - theres a few holes in them now. Might be something to consider.

[edit: beat to the punch]

I just finished bmq... we had a good time in some very cold weather, on the last couple of weeks.

We were issued the "mortar" gloves and the big arctic mitts. When you're on patrol, that sorta thing, all you needed was a $1 walmart cotton glove liner inside the mortar gloves to keep you fairly warm. After the first k of a march you don't have to worry about being cold any more.

When you're on base sentry at your FOB (you'll see what I mean) you will be very very cold. Standing still gets you. You'll want to wear the mukluks, the balaclava, the goggles, and the arctic mitts on top of whatever other gloves you have on. We were out when it was -20 or so and snowing and it wasn't too bad with all the gear on. I didn't have the mukluks or the arctic mitts on and so long as I kept moving I was ok.

If you're heading out into week 11 (hoochies etc) you probably won't ever be super cold.. I can't really recall any significant period of time spent sitting still!  ;D
week 12 is the base defense stuff and you'll want to bring all your winter gear (if issued) and that should pretty much suffice.

Basically, if you're worried about the thinner gloves being too cold.. don't be. Whenever you're wearing them you'll be moving enough to stay warm. If you're on base sentry you have time to grab your kit and get warm anyway. Bring everything on the list your COC gives you and anything extra you think you'd like. The water canteen tends to freeze solid so the thermos might be a good idea... anyway that's kinda off topic.  Have fun!

Back