• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Marine's Last Words

• Thread starter Thread starter D-n-A
  • Start date Start date
D

D-n-A

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,77279,00.html

SNOHOMISH - Marine Cpl. Jeffrey Starr's last letter arrived home more than two months after his flag-draped casket.

It came unexpectedly, weeks after his parents had placed his dusty, worn combat boots on the fireplace ledge.

It arrived weeks after two U.S. Marines stood in uniform on his parents' porch, bringing the worst possible news.

Brian Starr discovered the letter on his 22-year-old son's computer, which had been stored with his other belongings near Camp Pendleton, Calif., awaiting the soldier's return from Iraq.

Brian Starr had to fiddle with the computer to get it to work. When the screen finally flickered on, he saw an icon labeled "LetterHome." Jeffrey Starr had written the letter in November 2004 to his girlfriend, Emmylyn Anonical, 22. It read:

"Dearest Emmylyn,

I'm writing this for one reason only. On April 13th 2004 I thought I was going to die. My only regret is that I hadn't spent enough time with you. That I hadn't told you everything I wanted to. Being in Iraq for a 3rd time, I don't want to feel that way again because it was the worst feeling ever. So this letter is in case I won't ever get the chance to tell you.

Obviously if you are reading this then I have died in Iraq. I kind of predicted this - that is why I'm writing this in November. A third time just seemed like I'm pushing my chances. I don't regret going, everybody dies but few get to do it for something as important as freedom."

Rest of the article can be read here
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,77279,00.html

Oorah Marine, Thank you for building upon our elustrious Corps and passing your ideas and values. All that you have done will live on through our country's freedom and will be passed down throughout the Marines for generations to come. I cannot say enough what your ultimate sacrifice means to our Corps and our country. Semper Fi, Marine!

Back