• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A "First Nations" Unit Merged Thread.

dangerboy said:
This is probably worthy if yet another split; the RSM is not the Battalion's Second in Command that job is done by the DCO (Deputy Commanding Officer) an RSM will never take command of a BN unless there is not a single officer left in the unit.  His job is much like the Coxn's job in the Navy (discipline, dress and deportment, manning) but his most important job (in my opinion) is to advise the CO and represent the NCMs in the unit.  He is also in charge of PWs and casualties during BN attacks.  There are a couple of actual RSMs on this site that can expand on what I wrote and probably explain their job better than me.

Dangerboy has this right. I represent the NCM view to Niner and provide advice on the health and welfare of troops.

My chief responsibilities are the five Ds - Dress, Disicipline, Drill, Duties and Deportment.....

Notice their is no "budget" responsibility.....I don't tread in that area unless some knob on the floor is spouting "budget" problems when he shouldn't be.

>The author clearly does not understand the complexity of First Nations societies.

To be fair, if the "James Wilson" who wrote the article is identically James Wilson, the Manitoba Treaty Commissioner, he probably has some grasp of the complexity.  But the idea is over-optimistic.

The author is also clearly unaware of much more pressing issues affecting the Armed Forces.

As well, units will probably evolve in much different directions (for example a Stryker Brigade Combat Team has integration of various elements right down to the Company level, to use perhaps the most extreme example, but looking at how the Russians use their SPETSNAZ forces is illustrative of another approach to modern war), so the issue of "who" is being recruited for the unit will hinge on aptitude, adaptability and ability to learn, rather than the person's cultural or ethnic background.

Indeed, I could hardly think of any better way to cripple a unit than to focus on what is essentially an irrelevant criterion to the organization and staffing of a unit. Just get the best possible people; period.

What we should be doing is focussing our efforts in how best to do what we do best....what our prime purpose is....bringing death and destruction to the enemies of our nation.

But....being who we are we focus on things that ultimately cause us to lose focus on what we are supposed to focus on.....

Follow that?

Hamish Seggie said:
What we should be doing is focussing our efforts in how best to do what we do best....what our prime purpose is....bringing death and destruction to the enemies of our nation.

But....being who we are we focus on things that ultimately cause us to lose focus on what we are supposed to focus on.....

Follow that?

Like high visibility rank and name tags, or WWII era rank badges for officers?  ;D

ballz said:
Also to note, too much attention gets paid to 2Lt, Lt, and Capt. Our current system of promoting people to Lt and Capt based on when they graduated university means that you can have a Capt and a 2Lt who finished Ph IV together commanding a platoon at the same time. The Capt is not miraculously more checked out by virtue of rank. They are still both Pl Comd's that just came out of Ph IV.

Interesting point thanks.

Brad Sallows said:
>The author clearly does not understand the complexity of First Nations societies.

To be fair, if the "James Wilson" who wrote the article is identically James Wilson, the Manitoba Treaty Commissioner, he probably has some grasp of the complexity.  But the idea is over-optimistic.
That's what it says at the end of the article - one & the same.

Brad Sallows said:

Wouldn't be the first time somebody was responsible for something they didn't understand.

ModlrMike said:
Wouldn't be the first time somebody was responsible for something they didn't understand.
Here's a bit of his military experience according to his LinkedIn profile ....
.... Infantry Officer 23A
Canadian Armed Forces
1999 – 2006 (7 years) Loyal Edmonton Regiment (4PPCLI)

US Army
Infantry Soldier, 2d Bn, 75th Ranger Regiment
1994 – 1996 (2 years) Fort Benning, Washington ....
.... so one while his military knowledge about the CF isn't zero, one can't tell how much exposure he's had to the potential intricacies (and pitfalls) of forming a new regiment.

To me, the best line so far in this thread is this:
PuckChaser said:
What problem is solved?
While Commissioner Wilson seems to appreciate what Bold Eagle or similar programs do for some individuals, that doesn't necessarily mean creating First Nation regiments would be good or easy as well.

Also, as others have said, which Aboriginal culture will the Regiment embody?  I'm FAR from expert, but I know of at least three distinct cultures in Ontario alone, each pretty different from each other, much less across Canada.  Easier said than done ....

Hamish Seggie

Besides all this, where would the leadership be found for this unit?

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada :nod:

Lots of leaders there.

A First Nations unit is a bad idea. If you thought the CF already had too many Chiefs and not enough Indians, just wait.

Back