• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 Jan 2020 U.S. Events (Split from A Deeply Fractured US)

Then the onus is upon you to prove it
I did. I provided unthread the definition of what an insurrection is. This fits the bill. Just because you feel differently doesn’t make you right. I don’t think you grasp what it actually means. The fact that you asked about weapons in order to see if it fits “your” definition demonstrates that. You don’t necessarily need weapons to have an insurrection.

It is. Plain and simple. But no amount of proof or evidence will convince you.

lots of people will be going to jail for this.

The FBI "SWAT TEAM" is (are?) clearing out the capitol.

Question: Why are law enforcement wearing army camouflage (ya know, green, olive drab, brown, black etc.)?

I did. I provided unthread the definition of what an insurrection is. This fits the bill. Just because you feel differently doesn’t make you right. I don’t think you grasp what it actually means. The fact that you asked about weapons in order to see if it fits “your” definition demonstrates that. You don’t necessarily need weapons to have an insurrection.

It is. Plain and simple. But no amount of proof or evidence will convince you.

lots of people will be going to jail for this.
It does not fit the bill

When you provide the truth then I will be convinced

Edit - Reimus, if you mean "an outbreak against authority", then it may be true but not in this case.

Think Rodney King - now that was an insurrection

Depends on what defines "stolen". Some felt Trump "stole" the last election, but didn't base their opinions on accusations of electoral fraud. They instead held a notion that an election could be stolen by improper or unfair influence - false things promoted, true things obfuscated. Today's unrest has many root causes; seen a certain way, events of the last four years could really piss off some of Trump's supporters. Imagine the people at the extremities of that dissatisfaction. It isn't necessary to excuse them to understand them.

The last straw is not the only one. It is amusing to see so many public figures racing for the highest seat on the horse; no one is to blame but Trump. Apparently there is some unforgiveable threshold of provocation that, out of all the things said and done, only he crossed.
No, he is not the only one who crossed the threshold, the list is legion. But, he is (was) the most powerful person in the world, and that sobriquet comes with unimaginable (to most of us) authorities and responsibilities. His words and decisions reverberate, and have and can literally mean life and death.

This action today, completely unavoidable, and 100% precipitated by Trump and his supporters, will have domestic and global ramifications for decades.

Democracy is messy. We're in the middle of a massive voter realignment exacerbated by a demagogue and a pandemic. It's only going to get worse before it gets better.

I expect France in May will be "Hold my beer". They always have the best protests.

I'm not supporting their behavior (I really don't know whats going on). Their behavior inside is a stark different than what mom and pop stores get treated to by another group, interesting differences to say the least.
Their was also a stark contrast and differences in the escalation of force by law enforcement.

I wonder if CJOC has one of those pre-made plans in their filing cabinet for a peace keeping mission in the USA when a good chunk of the population has a highly contagious virus?

I find it strange that people can seemingly push their way into what I can only imagine should have been a pretty secure building.

It's not as if the electoral vote thing was a surpsie, I assume someone in a position of authority must have considered this event. Yet here they are.

Is this sort of how police will innocently leave a police cruiser in the path of a protesting crowd which surprise surprise is set on fire (and recorded then played on the news)?

Seems like there's more security at a Taylor swift concert.

Signing off

I'll address any slings and arrows tomorrow

Cheers everyone - hope you all had a good new year

I am amazed at how little force protection was assigned to the Capitol building. Today was a long-planned event, and anger has been stoked for months by certain US political commentators and elected officials.

There have been numerous posts on Parler and other conservative social media websites calling for violent uprising in DC and elsewhere throughout the country today, so this should not have been a surprise to any law enforcement or security officials. Hopefully a detailed investigation is convened to determine how this ball could have been dropped so badly.

I could imagine this going very differently depending on who is doing the protesting.
Based on the last six months, if it was a BLM protest the riot police (supplemented by federal agencies) would have been in place beforehand and they would have been kettled and tear gassed outside the building with mass arrests. So far they've only arrested 13 people, which can't even cover a fraction of those that were actually in the building.

Shots were only fired after they tried to force a door open and someone inside thought they had a gun. It's a stupid prize for a stupid game, but 'whataboutism' doesn't make what happened today okay. But you are showing a few people behaving relatively calmly while there were also reports of others with weapons, possibly a pipe bomb, and a bunch of restraints, so lets not pretend this was a peaceful protest.

If we had protestors try to storm our Parliament fully expect someone would get shot, actually pretty surprised at the restraint the on duty cops showed. Hopefully they can get home safe, hug their family and get some extra paid time off.

As an aside, noticed pretty much none of these yahoos wore mask, so the whole thing could be a massive super spreader event as well.

This action today, completely unavoidable, and 100% precipitated by Trump and his supporters, will have domestic and global ramifications for decades.

100%? Doubtful. As Trump influenced his supporters, so Trump was influenced by others. Had the unwarranted and unnecessary four years long quest to delegitimize (if not end) his presidency been foregone, he might not have become so embittered.

Hillary Clinton, in a notable interview from the fall of 2019, called Trump "an illegitimate president". In what sense she meant - unqualified to run, improperly elected - I don't know, but it doesn't matter. That was almost 3 years after his election; we are only 2 months into this one's outcome. Best get ready for a long grind.

Back