• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 Jan 2020 U.S. Events (Split from A Deeply Fractured US)

Some context below:

Hillary Clinton says Biden shouldn't concede 'under any circumstances' (msn.com)

Misleading headline. Clinton actually said that Trump may hold an advantage on Electoral Day, but Biden shouldn't immediately concede, until legal options have been considered, and any recounts conducted. I am not a Democratic fan, but will also not twist their words.

For two months, I have watched with increasing dismay and finally disgust, as Trump and his team has careened from the obvious to the ridiculous. He lost. He has used dog whistles and an utterly unbecoming response to deny the obvious, and like many a fascist before him, used inflammatory language to incite his supporters. That manifested today. He needs to go, and he should face charges for what he has inflicted on the U.S.
Hi weinie, you have a valid point.

So if everything is above board (Dem side) why are they so determined not to allow an investigation? If there is no fraud, then allow the inspections to take place and prove Trump's team wrong.

"But at least we know more about what they’re going to do. And Joe Biden should not concede under any circumstances,” she continued as Palmieri raised her hands in joy, 'Because I think this is going to drag out and eventually I do believe he will win if we don’t give an inch.'”

What's the difference

Initial reports of "all secure":
Heavily armed police have secured the U.S. Capitol nearly four hours after supporters of President Donald Trump pushed past barricades and forced themselves inside the complex on Wednesday, amid violent clashes at the heart of the U.S. government.

Washington police said at least one civilian was shot and that protesters deployed "chemical irritants on police" to gain access. Police Chief Robert Contee said several police officers were injured.

The chief said at least five weapons have been recovered and at least 13 people have been arrested so far.

At least one explosive device was found nearby, but law enforcement officials said Wednesday afternoon it was no longer a threat ...

Katstevens I can’t tell if you are defending this or not. But yes. This is a clear attack on democracy. All they’ve done is prove what people were warning about for months about a peaceful transition.
I'm not defending it in the slightest, it's fucking stupid. I'm pointing out that none of the people I mentioned have even been considered as seditious. Just struck me as odd. Carry on

I'm not defending it in the slightest, it's fucking stupid. I'm pointing out that none of the people I mentioned have even been considered as seditious. Just struck me as odd. Carry on
Should they be? The people you mentioned?

I believe in the democratic process but this election was stolen
Given the attitude, behavior and hatred on both sides of the election I'd bet there was voting fraud on both sides. I don't think the election was stolen, but maybe it was.
Hypothetically say it was, based solely on the presidents behavior, it would probably still be better this way. He's out of control Shawn.
Should they be? The people you mentioned?
If you're talking about the people who took over the police precinct then yes absolutely.

There is pressure on members of government, and there is putting their physical safety in danger.

Fine with the former, the latter is a disgrace.

Yes. No-one who in the course of rioting, destroying property, barring access to necessary services, etc, puts anyone - elected or not - in danger should go without consequences.

They dislodged an entire precinct of cops, obstructed fire and EMS from doing their jobs, and destroyed an entire section of a city, declaring autonomy while they were at it. That's not insurrection?
It is. Glad we agree. The thread is about the events of 6 jan. The insurrection to prevent the democratic process from going forward.

Yes. No-one who in the course of rioting, destroying property, barring access to necessary services, etc, puts anyone - elected or not - in danger should go without consequences.
I agree, but lets put extra emphasis on elected officials.

Putting elected officials in a situation where they need to be locked down, and actually flee, is nothing less than a attack on democracy.

election was stolen, but maybe it was.

Depends on what defines "stolen". Some felt Trump "stole" the last election, but didn't base their opinions on accusations of electoral fraud. They instead held a notion that an election could be stolen by improper or unfair influence - false things promoted, true things obfuscated. Today's unrest has many root causes; seen a certain way, events of the last four years could really piss off some of Trump's supporters. Imagine the people at the extremities of that dissatisfaction. It isn't necessary to excuse them to understand them.

The last straw is not the only one. It is amusing to see so many public figures racing for the highest seat on the horse; no one is to blame but Trump. Apparently there is some unforgiveable threshold of provocation that, out of all the things said and done, only he crossed.

There is a lot wrong in the US voting system and it has a history of various attempts to rig the vote, from outright fraud, to vote buying to rigging ridings to include/exclude groups/communities. Democracy works on trust, trust has been steadily eroded over the years, Trump took advantage of the games the Dems and GOP were playing for years.

I must say once inside they didn't trash the place

https://cdn.townhall.com/trash/liveblog/2021-01/capitol-guy.jpg

Putting elected officials in a situation where they need to be locked down, and actually flee, is nothing less than a attack on democracy.

Yes, but "democracy" covers a lot of ground and thus many things happened in the past 4 years that by my reckoning amount to "attacks on democracy". Some were more severe than today's events, so I'm not possessed by the righteous indignation that has consumed so many. I expected this (and worse), but not so soon. There will be more if the people pushing blacklists, punitive expeditions, and the shopping list of take-no-prisoners political reforms have their way. Immoderates beget immoderate responses.

There is a lot wrong in the US voting system and it has a history of various attempts to rig the vote, from outright fraud, to vote buying to rigging ridings to include/exclude groups/communities. Democracy works on trust, trust has been steadily eroded over the years, Trump took advantage of the games the Dems and GOP were playing for years.

I must say once inside they didn't trash the place

https://cdn.townhall.com/trash/liveblog/2021-01/capitol-guy.jpg

It is not an insurrection
Yes it is.

"Depends on what defines "stolen". Some felt Trump "stole" the last election, but didn't base their opinions on accusations of electoral fraud."

Hi Brad,

And four friggin years of Russia collusion, peetapes, the steel dossier, losers, etc. (rolling eyes)

But you're right - it wasn't about election fraud

Back