• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

21 years later & I get my shot at Pilot

Happydiver

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm writing this narrative in the hope that my story gives someone the strength to hang on to their dreams.  Back in the mists of time, when I was around 10, I formed the idea that I would become a pilot.  Dutifully, at the age of 19, I applied for ROTP and with my 20/15 vision was bundled off to ACS at Downsview.  Everything went well until the very last medical test involving the ultrasound.  A mitral valve prolapse (MVP) was picked up and all I remember was a Full Col telling me that I couldn't be a pilot.  This was a relatively common condition that I was told could incapacitate me if I was subjected to high G forces.  'Devastated' and 'utterly' would be the words I would use to describe how I felt.

Due to my performance at ACS, I was offered entry as a ROTP ANav.  I finished my degree in civilian university, did the usual military courses to get going and eventually started Nav school in Winnipeg.  Making a long story short and coincidentally substantially shortening my military career, at the age of 20, I really pissed off the LCol in charge of the school.  If I knew that pulling myself off the Nav course was going to get me into that much trouble, I would have at least had a go at his daughter while I was at it... ;)  With hindsight and the experience of raising teenagers and helping out at the local air cadet squadron, I absolutely understand how wrongheaded I was at the time.  C'est la vie.

Fast forward a few years to Oct 05 when I start my application process to rejoin the military.  My choices were MARS and MARE since I'm currently employed with the Coast Guard as a Leading Seaman/Rescue Diver.  During the normal course of the application process the RC asked that I get the opinion of a civilian cardiologist as to what's been going on with that ticker of mine. " Sure", I say, off I go.  The Dr puts me through the wringer and lo and behold, he can't find a thing!!!  The wheels in my head spin and I boot it down to the RC and politely ask if I can switch my choices to place Pilot as #1.

The recruiters were very accommodating and set me up for all the required prerequisites before I was once again trundled off to ACS.  Again, everything went well.  Again, I got pulled aside because of my MVP but this time the Dr explained that in my case the MVP was slight enough that I could pass the medical now.  I felt as if I had been given my life back.

About a week ago, the RC called to say that the Pilot boards had sat and they've approved a spot for me.  I've been waiting 21 years to hear that message.  All I'm waiting for now is an enrollment date and when they want to send me to training.  I guess I'll suck it up and wait a few more weeks.... :D

Even if I don't get my wings, though I'm planning on moving heaven and earth to get them, I'll be a happy man that I was given a second chance at fulfilling a life long dream.  All I can offer for advice to those of you waiting for your heart's desire, is never give up, have confidence in yourself, stand up for what you believe in and keep looking for that silver lining no matter what life gives you.  Don't sit back waiting for life to come to you, get out there and grab it hard with both hands.

The things people do to get out of MARS training, eh? :D

Thank you for sharing your story, and congrats on being one more step closer to your dream.  Soon enough you'll be adding an 'r' to your name ---Happydriver.

Happydiver said:
I'm writing this narrative in the hope that my story gives someone the strength to hang on to their dreams.  Back in the mists of time, when I was around 10, I formed the idea that I would become a pilot.  Dutifully, at the age of 19, I applied for ROTP and with my 20/15 vision was bundled off to ACS at Downsview.  Everything went well until the very last medical test involving the ultrasound.  A mitral valve prolapse (MVP) was picked up and all I remember was a Full Col telling me that I couldn't be a pilot.  This was a relatively common condition that I was told could incapacitate me if I was subjected to high G forces.  'Devastated' and 'utterly' would be the words I would use to describe how I felt.

Due to my performance at ACS, I was offered entry as a ROTP ANav.  I finished my degree in civilian university, did the usual military courses to get going and eventually started Nav school in Winnipeg.  Making a long story short and coincidentally substantially shortening my military career, at the age of 20, I really pissed off the LCol in charge of the school.  If I knew that pulling myself off the Nav course was going to get me into that much trouble, I would have at least had a go at his daughter while I was at it... ;)   With hindsight and the experience of raising teenagers and helping out at the local air cadet squadron, I absolutely understand how wrongheaded I was at the time.  C'est la vie.

Fast forward a few years to Oct 05 when I start my application process to rejoin the military.  My choices were MARS and MARE since I'm currently employed with the Coast Guard as a Leading Seaman/Rescue Diver.  During the normal course of the application process the RC asked that I get the opinion of a civilian cardiologist as to what's been going on with that ticker of mine. " Sure", I say, off I go.  The Dr puts me through the wringer and lo and behold, he can't find a thing!!!  The wheels in my head spin and I boot it down to the RC and politely ask if I can switch my choices to place Pilot as #1.

The recruiters were very accommodating and set me up for all the required prerequisites before I was once again trundled off to ACS.  Again, everything went well.  Again, I got pulled aside because of my MVP but this time the Dr explained that in my case the MVP was slight enough that I could pass the medical now.  I felt as if I had been given my life back.

About a week ago, the RC called to say that the Pilot boards had sat and they've approved a spot for me.  I've been waiting 21 years to hear that message.  All I'm waiting for now is an enrollment date and when they want to send me to training.  I guess I'll suck it up and wait a few more weeks.... :D

Even if I don't get my wings, though I'm planning on moving heaven and earth to get them, I'll be a happy man that I was given a second chance at fulfilling a life long dream.  All I can offer for advice to those of you waiting for your heart's desire, is never give up, have confidence in yourself, stand up for what you believe in and keep looking for that silver lining no matter what life gives you.  Don't sit back waiting for life to come to you, get out there and grab it hard with both hands.
I thought you needed 20/20 vision to be a Pilot?

20/15 as in better than 20/20...  I have 20/15.  I think 15/20 is worse than 20/20

Pretty sure that's how it works!

Phenomenal story.  It's great to see at 40 you still had the interest/passion to be in the CF.

Way to go!  Certainly a must read for every 19 year pilot wannabe on here.. check that, for everyone who is wanting to join the forces and is so impatient.

kc

hippie said:
20/15 as in better than 20/20...  I have 20/15.  I think 15/20 is worse than 20/20

Pretty sure that's how it works!
Ok, just to confirm something then (I have no idea how vision tests work), my vision uncorrected is as follows:
Left eye: 20/40+
Right eye: 20/40+
Both eyes open: 20/30+

20/20 corrected all around
Does my vision pass or fail me to be a Pilot?

Gorak said:
Ok, just to confirm something then (I have no idea how vision tests work), my vision uncorrected is as follows:
Left eye: 20/40+
Right eye: 20/40+
Both eyes open: 20/30+

20/20 corrected all around
Does my vision pass or fail me to be a Pilot?

you need minimum 20/20 uncorrected

okay, simplified 20/20 is (i think) the 4th line from the bottom.  Corrected I can read the 2nd from, or the bottom line which varies from 20/15 to 20/13. This has varied year to year for 20 years.  The way the eye test was explained to me was that if you have 20/15 vision you can read a line @ 20' that's clear to a 20/20 person @ 15' hence the term 20/15.

(just file this in the TFUI dept!  ;D)

Outstanding story!!

Congratulations to you, and best of luck in the future.

Roy

Just a quick update on my continuing saga, the RC said last week that they would get back to me in 3 to 8 weeks with an enrollment date and joining instructions.  Well, they lied to me and only took one week to get back to me..... :D  My enrollment date is set for Mar 29 and I'm slated to attend Basic in St. Jean starting Apr 16.  Hooorraaaahhh!!!!!!!  I don't need wings, I'm flying already.

Flatspin said:
you need minimum 20/20 uncorrected

What seems to be the official standard can be found here:

http://www.toronto.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/medical/visreq_e.html

You have to be at least 6/6 (20/20 if you prefer) in your better eye and at least 6/9 (20/30) in your other eye when it comes to visual acuity. On top of that, you have to meet the cycloplegic refraction standard as defined in the link.

You can be 20/20 but it is still possible (although unlikely) that your refraction error will be higher than what the standard allows in which can you may be eliminated. You would have to speak with an Ophthalmologist working for the forces to see if they can bend the rules or not.

Congrats Happydiver and good luck in your new career. :)

Just got back from my enrollment ceremony today in Vancouver and I'm officially back in!!!  I start Basic in St Jean on the 16th and one step closer to those magic wings.  ;D

Congrats!!

Reading over your personal story sent chills through me, it goes to show when you shoot for your dreams and stick with it, you will come out on TOP!!

Happydiver, congrats!  Glad things are working out for you, even a "little ways down the road".  Please keep us updated on how you're doing.  Good Luck in St.Jean (and Portage, and Moose Jaw and Portage [for helos... ;)] )

G2G

Congradulations! I guess it does pay off to have a dream and stick with it!

I had the great fortune of meeting Happydiver when we did our ACS together and I can attest to the fact that he is a great addition to the Forces.  His story has kept me focused since meeting him in September of 06 as I too am a little older than most other applicants. As a police officer, husband and father to a darling baby I have had moments of thinking that I was crazy to risk everything to do what has always been in my heart.  Happy's story has been one of my sources of inspiration.

Cheers Happy.  I look forward to seeing you again on the 14th in St. Jean.  The first chance we get it will be my turn to take you to a local establishment to raise a mug.

To St. Jean and beyond.

Very cool.  I wanted to be a pilot originally- but given my height, weight and shape there's no way they'd let me into a cockpit...and I wouldn't want to be anything but a fighter pilot so that kind of limited me...well, that and I don't have university.

But good stuff getting your chance to become a pilot.

Back