• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

I have to say I'm surprised at this. I listened to Jenni Byrne a fair bit on a podcast where she'd spar off against Team Red & Team Orange former operators and she sounded smart and sincerely in line with Team Blue's approach. She didn't strike me as someone who'd let this happen, so barring other instances down the road, I'll take this as a "holy f**k" moment.

That said, I'm not a sports fan, but if you look at this sort of "signalling" or "mimicking" thing from a tribal perspective -- wanting to show that you're "part of the team" or "part of the action" in some way -- how different are these .....
View attachment 87481
View attachment 87483
View attachment 87484
View attachment 87485
... from these?
View attachment 87486
View attachment 87487
View attachment 87488

At one level ....
View attachment 87489
Optimists might say it's just wanting to feel like a part of the bigger-than-me experience that politics & sports can be - just a bit of fun.

Pessimists might say it's an outer manifestation of the inner acceptance of and integration with the bigger-than-me being that is the team/the party/tribe - for better, or worse.

You be the judge ...
All nightmare fuel.

I have to say I'm surprised at this. I listened to Jenni Byrne a fair bit on a podcast where she'd spar off against Team Red & Team Orange former operators and she sounded smart and sincerely in line with Team Blue's approach. She didn't strike me as someone who'd let this happen, so barring other instances down the road, I'll take this as a "holy f**k" moment.

That said, I'm not a sports fan, but if you look at this sort of "signalling" or "mimicking" thing from a tribal perspective -- wanting to show that you're "part of the team" or "part of the action" in some way -- how different are these .....
View attachment 87481
View attachment 87483
View attachment 87484
View attachment 87485
... from these?
View attachment 87486
View attachment 87487
View attachment 87488

At one level ....
View attachment 87489
Optimists might say it's just wanting to feel like a part of the bigger-than-me experience that politics & sports can be - just a bit of fun.

Pessimists might say it's an outer manifestation of the inner acceptance of and integration with the bigger-than-me being that is the team/the party/tribe - for better, or worse.

You be the judge ...
Drifting from the CPC here, but most of that seems to be the US focus on “teams”.

Pro sports obviously, but think about how many US alumni wear their college merch vs Canadian university alumni. Aside from Homecoming weekend (if that’s a thing with all universities in Canada), it would be unusual to see people wearing U of T or Queens gear after graduation. Contrast that with any of the big (or even small) US universities.

I’m just glad that we in Canada don’t generally go as merch-happy for political parties.

Drifting from the CPC here, but most of that seems to be the US focus on “teams”.

Pro sports obviously, but think about how many US alumni wear their college merch vs Canadian university alumni. Aside from Homecoming weekend (if that’s a thing with all universities in Canada), it would be unusual to see people wearing U of T or Queens gear after graduation. Contrast that with any of the big (or even small) US universities.

I’m just glad that we in Canada don’t generally go as merch-happy for political parties.
Interesting observation. it used to be common to see someone where a university or college jacket (I had one). Maybe it's the cost, maybe it's not considered cool anymore.

Interesting observation. it used to be common to see someone where a university or college jacket (I had one). Maybe it's the cost, maybe it's not considered cool anymore.
While I was at Costco today hoarding toilet paper, I saw someone wearing a “uOttawa Proud Father” hoodie. Carleton doesn’t seem to sell those for some reason…

The US is very tribal.
Actually so are we. BC is a tribe all its own, The Western Tribe is Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba but Alberta sorta kinda is the boss. Ontario has two - the Golden Triangle, and the rest of Ontario. Quebec is a distinct tribe. As for the Maritimes they are similar to the West with no one in charge. Newfoundland - god love em, are a very distinct tribe.

Actually so are we. BC is a tribe all its own, The Western Tribe is Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba but Alberta sorta kinda is the boss. Ontario has two - the Golden Triangle, and the rest of Ontario. Quebec is a distinct tribe. As for the Maritimes they are similar to the West with no one in charge. Newfoundland - god love em, are a very distinct tribe.
Careful - you're starting to sound as if you believe Canada has no mainstream, no core identity ;)

Canadaland goes over the PP Video.

At the end of the episode, Jesse and his guest host (a teacher and Tik Toker Frank Domenic) go on this odd tangent on how conservatives are able to make fun of themselves (ala Jeff Foxworthy). I'm still trying to figure out what they were getting at. Is it a bad thing that conservatives have inside jokes? Are lefties that puritan that they are unable or unwilling to laugh at themselves?

Also Jesse puts a plea to future Jesse that he is not a person that should be named to the Senate (re: Charles Adler and the unmentioned Mike Duffy)

…until folks are outside Canada, then it’s “close ranks and defend against outsiders besmirching our hockey and maple syrup”

😏
Strangely when I travel, Canadians say they are Canadians while travelling. Americans almost always identify with their state when asked where they are from.

Strangely when I travel, Canadians say they are Canadians while travelling. Americans almost always identify with their state when asked where they are from.
Then we get asked if we know Fred from Toronto. :confused:
When I get asked from Americans where I'm from and I say SW Manitoba, I get a "Where the heck is that" look. Then I say its just across the border from North Dakota and the look never changes. :ROFLMAO:

When I get asked from Americans where I'm from and I say SW Manitoba, I get a "Where the heck is that" look. Then I say its just across the border from North Dakota and the look never changes. :ROFLMAO:
“Just North of Minot…”

Oh, got it! 😆

“Just North of Minot…”

Oh, got it! 😆
Funny thing, I was in the Starbucks line at Carling and there was a US Space Force Guardian beside me and we got to chatting. She asked where I was from in Canada and I said. "A place you've never heard of" She replied "I was posted to Minot, I know where you're from!" LOL.

Get the same thing in Italy :)
Similar to many responses I get when I tell Americans I’m from north of Minnesota :)

Funny thing, I was in the Starbucks line at Carling and there was a US Space Force Guardian beside me and we got to chatting. She asked where I was from in Canada and I said. "A place you've never heard of" She replied "I was posted to Minot, I know where you're from!" LOL.
I'd be more worried if someone from one of the US intelligence branches walked up to you and, unprovoked, said "I know where you're from!"

Back