• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

Meh. Liberals take action through legal and bureaucratic means, while conservatives take action through physical means. The ends, in both cases, are seldom justified, except for the radicals in both camps, who claim victory. A pox on politics, which currently exacerbates divisions.
No one has ever gotten shot by a legal or bureaucratic arguement though.

Also, are they conservative? They essentially wanted to ignore established laws and ignore the democratic result to impose their agenda, which seems pretty radical and non-conservative to me.

If he was still alive, I think someone like John McCain would have been horrified and strongly condemned this, so I don't think this is a liberal/conservative political issue, and more of someone manipulating populist sentiments to try and force their temper tantrum for their results.

Also, are they conservative? They essentially wanted to ignore established laws and ignore the democratic result to impose their agenda, which seems pretty radical and non-conservative to me.

If he was still alive, I think someone like John McCain would have been horrified and strongly condemned this, so I don't think this is a liberal/conservative political issue, and more of someone manipulating populist sentiments to try and force their temper tantrum for their results.
I can see a other famous Republican that are not with us anymore who would not be happy with whats going on.

Populism is currently associated with Conservatives. It wasn't always so. You have missed my point; to wit, people will go to extremes to gain/maintain power.

Donald Trump’s criminal trial in the classified documents case has been scheduled for May 2024. Prosecution was pushing for December 2023, defense tried to have it pushed til after the November 2024 election. This means that this particular criminal case should be settled prior to Americans going to the polls- however, it will also be after most of the party Primaries. Republicans will have a challenging choice on their hands.

The classified records prosecution has additional challenge because of the need to handle and protect classified disclosure. Trump faces definitely one (NY state), likely two (+ fed), and potentially three (+ GA state) other criminal prosecutions. Tough to gauge whether Republicans will get to see a verdict in any of them before the bulk of the state primaries. What we can be confident of is that the Republican Party will have to pick a candidate for President while their biggest contender is heavily embroiled in criminal prosecutions in multiple jurisdictions.

And from the other side of the table....

H.Res.57 - Impeaching Joseph R. Biden, President of the United States, for abuse of power by enabling bribery and other high crimes and misdemeanors.117th Congress (2021-2022)​

335,000,000 Americans - most of them mostly legal - and these are the choices....o_O

335,000,000 Americans - most of them mostly legal - and these are the choices....o_O
According to US Census Data there are aprox 152M US Citizens over 40 that theoretically could run for President.

The fact we’ve ended up with the choices we currently have is a little mind boggling.

I’m pretty sure the majority of the GOP has entered into some kind of suicide pact, as for the life of me, I can’t understand how or why we have so many garbage candidates, and the fact I’m hoping for a Christie/Cheney (or vice versa) ticket shows you the absolute lack of depth we have. The rest seem to be eager to be Mini-Trumps either looking for a spot on the ticket, or trying to get his base when he goes to jail.

On the Democratic side, you have the current president, (who’s actually been significantly better than I had expected) but still leaves a lot to be desired (IMHO) or the DJT wantabee RFK Jr, who’s a Russian parrot fricken crackpot more in tune with MAGA than the Democrats.

I really wish we could reanimate Ronald or John Mc, or that Romney would consider running.

I really wish we could reanimate Ronald or John Mc, or that Romney would consider running.

I like what a furious President Eisenhower said: "I am about ready to go put my uniform on".

Ron DeSantis is the only military veteran in either party I can think of who is being considered, or potentially may be considered, for Commander in Chief.

As an historical footnote, every Commander in Chief since FDR and before Bill Clinton was a military veteran.

In the 2024 Presidential race, does military service still matter?

doubtful.

I guess times have changed.

Bob Dole, John Kerry, and John McCain were war heroes, but didn't get elected.

Governor DeSantis was awarded a Bronze Star with a V device for valor. But, it does not look like he will get in either.

I guess times have changed.

Bob Dole, John Kerry, and John McCain were war heroes, but didn't get elected.

Governor DeSantis was awarded a Bronze Star with a V device for valor. But, it does not look like he will get in either.
One can respect their actions and service, but also understand they’d be an awful President.

McCain made some unusual decisions in the race with BHO, and in areas where he should have mopped the floor with him in debates often looked lost. I’m not 100% he really wanted to win.

I’m not a big fan of Governor DeS, manly as he goes overboard when dealing with issues. It’s like he took a page from DJT, and that worries the F out of me.

I’m not a big fan of Governor DeS, manly as he goes overboard when dealing with issues.

He could use a visit to charm school.

I remember the fuss over Bill Clinton, and the Vietnam era draft.

Now it seems no big deal for the two current leading presidential candidates born ( even before Bill Clinton was ) in the 1940's.

Although I did read this in today's NBC news.

Ron DeSantis leans into his military service as his 2024 campaign seeks altitude​

DeSantis is the only veteran in the GOP presidential field, but even those who admire his service aren’t sure that it will help him beat Donald Trump.

I’m pretty sure the majority of the GOP has entered into some kind of suicide pact, as for the life of me, I can’t understand how or why we have so many garbage candidates, and the fact I’m hoping for a Christie/Cheney (or vice versa) ticket shows you the absolute lack of depth we have. The rest seem to be eager to be Mini-Trumps either looking for a spot on the ticket, or trying to get his base when he goes to jail.

On the Democratic side, you have the current president, (who’s actually been significantly better than I had expected) but still leaves a lot to be desired (IMHO) or the DJT wantabee RFK Jr, who’s a Russian parrot fricken crackpot more in tune with MAGA than the Democrats.

I'm not eligible to vote in their elections. And, not to suggest any of this is likely to change minds that are already made up.

Nonetheless, I can't imagine the former guy would relish "taking sass" from those two. :)

Or, remembering the ribbing President Clinton ( born 1946 ) took about not serving in the military during the Vietnam Draft, and being reminded that he ( also born 1946 ) did not serve either.

On the Democratic side, you have the current president, (who’s actually been significantly better than I had expected) but still leaves a lot to be desired (IMHO)

There's been some gentle good humour about President Biden's age. Not likely the former guy will wish to be reminded he is only three or four years younger.

Back