• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

The reason I asked is I recently met someone who invested in scotch and whiskey. And it as part of his long term financial plan. Wasn’t his only plan and I doubt he’d be starving if it didn’t work out but was part of it. It made me think that this may be a similar sort of thing.

Now the Libs will read that and start coming for scotch and whiskey.

Whatever you do don't invest in classic cars. Money pits and the value you put in you will probably not recoup.
Most of my collections are personal or sentimental. And not anything that would be worth anything beyond passing it down or donating. Or hiding from wife who just wants me to declutter lol.

Do people really invest in guns as a nest egg or retirement plan? Just curious as I have no idea if a gun collection is actually an investment vehicle or not.
There are. Mainly with military surplus firearms but some will use hunting rifles, etc. I wouldn’t consider it particularly wise, but there have been plenty of firearms in the last decade which have gone up substantially in comparison to how much they used to cost. It was also relatively predictable for some, as rifles like the K31 there was clearly a limited supply coming in and there isn’t really going to be more, at least not in large batches.

A few rough examples. A Ross rifle 10 years ago was about 1000$, today around 3k. A K31 10 years ago was 250-300$ now is 900-1000$. A mosin nagant m91/30 which was 120$ 10 years ago is 400$ today. M1 Garand was 800$ 10 years ago, 1800-3000$ today.

Examples of things that have substantially lost money though. PTRD anti-tank rifle, 1200$ 10 years ago. 6k two years ago, prohibited today.

Some of the firearms you could see the writing on the wall for ‘investment’ purposes (AR-15s, CZ858s, Swiss Arms, etc.). Others like the anti-tank gun listed above was a large blindside because they didn’t even talk about banning rifles like that until they did it.

In other news the Liberals won’t give up on expanding C21 even though they have been beating the horse on that legislation for a while.

Yeah, it’s why I ask. If it’s actually a thing. From what I’ve seen by cursory searching is that it isn’t a wise thing to bank on unless dealing with really rare historical things.

I'm not sure how many rest their retirement on it but I know lots of people who see them as investments.

The milsurp market has gone crazy with prices. Sporterized Enfields are selling for $500, 5 years ago you could get 2 for $300. Non sporterized are $1500 or more, depending on some variables. They sold them for $25 ea or less at Sears.

I have a No.5 JC I bought for $500 3 years ago, pristine. I could probably get $1200 for it now.

I wish I had bought crates of SKSs when there around. I bought one 5 years ago at CT for $160 and I got to hand pick it. Now they are now $500 or more.

These are just a few common examples.

As a guy with a young family I am pretty much priced out of the milsurp market now.

In a week I'm going to blow off all my M1 Carbine ammo... Because I know the end is coming for that rifle for me.

I'm looking at lever actions these days but I think I need to go deployment lol

I should clarify. My 'nest egg' is diverse and not just firearms. I am very liquid. Others of my acquaintance, not so much.

While on prices, a nice Russian SKS could be had for $99 not many years ago. Now they are $600.

If the current govt stays in office after the next election, I wouldn’t be surprised if my 12ga pump is limited to BB and smaller shot. Slugs will be banned, buckshot. Centerfire will be decimated.

Time to start looking at/learning crossbow/compound/traditional archery. Nothing that shoots over 350 FPS though so don’t go wasting money on those swept-up Tenpoints…

That answers some of my curiosity about it. So not that stupid but niche. And similar to other things. Thanks.

The reason I asked is I recently met someone who invested in scotch and whiskey. And it as part of his long term financial plan. Wasn’t his only plan and I doubt he’d be starving if it didn’t work out but was part of it. It made me think that this may be a similar sort of thing.
See, I couldn't do that. If I use a rifle, I can put it back in the safe. If I use my scotch, it's gone.😁

That answers some of my curiosity about it. So not that stupid but niche. And similar to other things. Thanks.

Absolutely. And there are some really high end guns as well that fetch big prices.

Check out there is some really interesting and expensive stuff out there.

www.gunpost.ca

If the current govt stays in office after the next election, I wouldn’t be surprised if my 12ga pump is limited to BB and smaller shot. Slugs will be banned, buckshot. Centerfire will be decimated.

Time to start looking at/learning crossbow/compound/traditional archery. Nothing that shoots over 350 FPS though so don’t go wasting money on those swept-up Tenpoints…
I just bought one of these. It fires .68 cal ammo. The kinetic rounds, even at 300fps, will fuck you up. Lots of videos out there.
Had it out last weekend and it was putting dents in the wood stable boards at 50 feet.

I just bought one of these. It fires .68 cal ammo. The kinetic rounds, even at 300fps, will fuck you up. Lots of videos out there.
Had it out last weekend and it was putting dents in the wood stable boards at 50 feet.

Hmn…looks like something for the cottage….

Tracey Wilson just posted this on FB 2 hours ago:

Here’s a short breakdown of what’s new or coming:

 Ensure new guns receive their FRT number prior to being sold
 Permanent alteration of long gun mags to limit to 5
 Ban sales on mags that can hold more than 5
 Reinstate CFAC (load with anti gunners)
 Prohibit ghost guns
 Define, regulate “essential components
 Indigenous rights statement
 Review definition in 5 years
 Ban new semi auto, centrefire, with detachable mags that hold 6+ and are made AFTER C21.

Everything legal now stays legal.

Tracey Wilson just posted this on FB 2 hours ago:

Here’s a short breakdown of what’s new or coming:

 Ensure new guns receive their FRT number prior to being sold
 Permanent alteration of long gun mags to limit to 5
 Ban sales on mags that can hold more than 5
 Reinstate CFAC (load with anti gunners)
 Prohibit ghost guns
 Define, regulate “essential components
 Indigenous rights statement
 Review definition in 5 years
 Ban new semi auto, centrefire, with detachable mags that hold 6+ and are made AFTER C21.

Everything legal now stays legal.

Ya, I got the CCFR email after work today…

I hear restoring old boats is a great investment.

Back