• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strike

Correct but the member had to sue the union not the employer.

Read your contract. The employer will recognize the Union as the sole bargaining agent. Then it say something like the employer will employ the members in good standing with the union. In the Union bylaws it will have what a member in good standing is.

If the union comes to the employer and says Joe is not in good standing with the union. The employer must terminate their employment relationship.
Oh for sure. I am tracking. I’m just saying a that many are out there because of that underlying threat.

Oh for sure. I am tracking. I’m just saying a that many are out there because of that underlying threat.
Oh yes and its a threat they have used in the past. Its very real.

You can not name an organization with more real or imagined powers that the union has over its membership. In no other areas of life does an organization have more power over the individual or member. The government is the only other thing but with the many checks and balances. If businesses acted like that they would be shutdown. If other types of private groups acted this way they be stopped and people jailed. I wish people understood what they agree to when you sign the union card. Yes most would still sign but I still wish they knew more of the terms they were getting themselves into. The stories I have......

Oh yes and its a threat they have used in the past. Its very real.

You can not name an organization with more real or imagined powers that the union has over its membership. In no other areas of life does an organization have more power over the individual or member. The government is the only other thing but with the many checks and balances. If businesses acted like that they would be shutdown. If other types of private groups acted this way they be stopped and people jailed. I wish people understood what they agree to when you sign the union card. Yes most would still sign but I still wish they knew more of the terms they were getting themselves into. The stories I have......
Unfortunate that we can’t really opt out. That being said there are plenty that have likely crossed the lines and I don’t blame them. Some just can’t afford to strike. I’m curious if the union will pursue or not.

Yes they can. The government is closed shop. If you are not in good standing with the Union you lose your job. When you sign your union card you sign an incredible amount of rights to them. They are your sole bargaining agent. You can not hire a lawyer and sue your employer. (there are cases that the union will allow you too but they must approve.) If you break union rules and union expels you, you will be ineligible to work at your employer.
I says pardon?? Please put up supporting passages where you got this info please.

Unfortunate that we can’t really opt out. That being said there are plenty that have likely crossed the lines and I don’t blame them. Some just can’t afford to strike. I’m curious if the union will pursue or not.
Some have crossed? Wow.

Correct but the member had to sue the union not the employer.

Read your contract. The employer will recognize the Union as the sole bargaining agent. Then it say something like the employer will employ the members in good standing with the union. In the Union bylaws it will have what a member in good standing is.

If the union comes to the employer and says Joe is not in good standing with the union. The employer must terminate their employment relationship.
that not true of the public service. I don’t know anything about unions beyond the public service but in this particular case it isn’t the case.

There are consequences with union standing etc but termination isn’t one of them.

that not true of the public service. I don’t know anything about unions beyond the public service but in this particular case it isn’t the case.

There are consequences with union standing etc but termination isn’t one of them.
I only know of suspension of union privileges and fines. And even the. I’m not sure fines are enforceable.

No,...but you must pay dues. It does make sense as you profit from any gains made by the Union, previous or present.
This is the main reason I am participating. Plenty of people suffering more than I will are out there and I can afford to stand out there if I will gain the benefits of what may or may not come. I am certainly not happy about it or happy with the union but I feel terrible for those in a worse position than me.

If you do something that union kicks you out the employer will have to terminate you. The government is a closed union shop. Now you doing something that gets you kicked out of the union will most likely get you fired too. But it is still possible. There have been cases. Most of the time settled very quietly.

I am not sure a union can kick out a due paying member. Sounds like a very quick lawsuit in the members favour.

I did just read in the news that they are talking about blockading more than just government workplaces and expanding it to infrastructure such as ports. This is intimidation to try and force a outcome in their favour against all Canadians. If they do make such moves, hopefully they shall be arrested quickly.

An interesting idea: the right of all Canadians to seek employment in any federal government job should not depend on union membership.

If you do something that union kicks you out the employer will have to terminate you. The government is a closed union shop. Now you doing something that gets you kicked out of the union will most likely get you fired too. But it is still possible. There have been cases. Most of the time settled very quietly.
It’s not an option in the public service. Suspension of union privileges and presently unenforceable fines are the consequences. You will not find one place that lists termination as a consequence of not following the union. You can literally google this.

It’s not an option in the public service. Suspension of union privileges and presently unenforceable fines are the consequences. You will not find one place that lists termination as a consequence of not following the union. You can literally google this.
I honestly haven’t heard of anyone getting fired from their job for crossing picket lines or whatnot. Fines and privileges yes and that is what I have been hearing but nothing about losing your job.

It’s written in their constitution what is available to them. It’s also on their information site for people striking. Their constitition can be googled.

There is no secret firing because people crossed the picket line.
CFE9A626-3DFF-476D-B880-5038C817C0AA.png8992E1D2-A50E-460D-A6DD-734112B75FED.png

An interesting idea: the right of all Canadians to seek employment in any federal government job should not depend on union membership.

You can. You are not a member of the union simply by virtue of having a job where they’re your bargaining agent. Being a union member means you voluntarily joined the union. Look up the ‘Rand’ decision. The union has no power over you if you aren’t a member.

In the case of the federal public service that’s abjectly false. A federal public servant in a represented job can choose to join the union or not, totally up to them. The union can kick a member out of being a member of the union as a corporation, but they cannot cause that member’s employment to be terminated and they still have a legal duty of fair representation by virtue of the Rand decision.

You are more full of shit than the diaper of a baby with diarrhea.

There is no requirement to be a union member to be in the federal public service. None. Nada. Rien.

Read up on Lavigne v OPSEU,and the Rand formula, then come back.

Back