• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your daily 'thing to be afraid of'

No worse that the rats I've seen on the Halifax waterfront at night.

Especially the ones that hang out at the ferry terminal. (Norwegian Browns there too)

Saw one take out a pigeon while I was on the observation deck.

eek...

Giant lizard gives Australian man a fright – then a photo op

A 1.5m long goanna gave a man a fright when it scaled the outside of his home. Eric Holland had been working in his shed in Thurgoona, New South Wales, when he saw the unexpected visitor darting across his property. Holland, who managed to snap a picture of the goanna, said: “I saw movement as I came out of the shed and I had a look and thought, bloody hell what is this thing? When I recovered from the shock I went inside and got a camera.” Goannas are often found in eastern Australia but generally live in the bush. They are typically wary of humans but are considered potentially dangerous on account of their bite. This one, thought to be a lace monitor goanna, hasn’t been spotted since it scampered away. A spokesman for the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage said the lace monitor could grow up to two metres in length and weigh up to 20kg.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/picture/2015/dec/04/giant-lizard-gives-australian-man-a-fright-then-a-photo-op

daftandbarmy said:
eek...

Giant lizard gives Australian man a fright – then a photo op

A 1.5m long goanna gave a man a fright when it scaled the outside of his home. Eric Holland had been working in his shed in Thurgoona, New South Wales, when he saw the unexpected visitor darting across his property. Holland, who managed to snap a picture of the goanna, said: “I saw movement as I came out of the shed and I had a look and thought, bloody hell what is this thing? When I recovered from the shock I went inside and got a camera.” Goannas are often found in eastern Australia but generally live in the bush. They are typically wary of humans but are considered potentially dangerous on account of their bite. This one, thought to be a lace monitor goanna, hasn’t been spotted since it scampered away. A spokesman for the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage said the lace monitor could grow up to two metres in length and weigh up to 20kg.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/picture/2015/dec/04/giant-lizard-gives-australian-man-a-fright-then-a-photo-op

Most Aussies just call him "George".  ;)

chuckjonesabsm2.jpg

'Burglar' eaten by alligator as he hid from police

Matthew Riggins, 22, is thought to have jumped into a lake to escape a police search team

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/12039325/Burglar-eaten-by-alligator-as-he-hid-from-police.html

:eek:

Shanghaiist

LOOK: Human-sized Chinese giant salamander collected from cave outside of Chongqing

Giant%20Chinese%20salamander.jpg

A Chinese giant salamander was recently discovered lurking in a cave outside of Chongqing. The 1.4-meter-long giant amphibian, weighing 52 kilograms, has since been seized for protection and further study.

According to experts the salamander, listed as a Class II Protected Species due to critical endangerment, may be over two centuries old. The Chinese giant salamander is the largest amphibian in the world and generally lives around 50 years in captivity and 30 years in the wild, so this little guy is a bit of an overachiever.

(...SNIPPED)

Oh come on - in the weeks of Star Wars hysteria, no one has made any Jabba the Hutt references to that salamander yet?

Dimsum said:
Oh come on - in the weeks of Star Wars hysteria, no one has made any Jabba the Hutt references to that salamander yet?

Forget Jabba the Hutt... it reminds me of the dance floor view when the lights come on in those Fredericton night clubs at closing time. :)

Vegetarians: we all knew it, didn't we?

Vegetarians are ruining the environment, and other reasons to fear for humanity

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/vegetarians-are-ruining-the-environment-and-other-reasons-to-fear-for-humanity

A cheetah on the loose...in BC?  [:'(

Vancity Buzz

So there's a cheetah on the loose in Creston, B.C.
By
Lauren Sundstrom
8:11 AM PST, Fri December 18, 2015

While B.C. is known for many things – rugged beauty, the Rocky Mountains, air so clean you can bottle it and ship it to China – giant felines native to Africa isn’t one of them.

Until now.

According to the Creston RCMP, there’s a cheetah on the loose in the small town in the Kootenay region of the province. The large cat was spotted near Crawford Bay on Thursday evening at around 4:30 p.m.

(...SNIPPED)

cupper said:
They can usually be found in short dresses, high heels, lipstick and hanging out in hipster bars.  ;D

Younger than Cougars and more energetic and agile.

George Wallace said:
Younger than Cougars and more energetic and agile.

In Creston?  Probably cougars who re-found their leopard print dresses from the early 2000s  :nod:

Cougars wearing Leopard print dresses aside...here's more info on the cheetah on the lose

CBC

Cheetah on the loose might be 'Annie Rose,' known to stalk children

The cheetah on the loose in B.C.'s Kootenay region looks like an adult female named "Annie Rose" that is likely to stalk children, says the owner of an Alberta zoo.

A cheetah was spotted wandering along the side of a snowy B.C. highway north of Creston, B.C. Thursday afternoon, triggering a public warning from the RCMP and a search by three conservation officers.

Doug Bos of Discovery Wildlife Park says the markings, collar and other details of the unidentified animal match Annie, a female cheetah that was at his facility in 2014.

(...SNIPPED)

When they said, don't ever let the bears see you run, they were right...

(video at the link below)

Yahoo Daily Buzz

Video captures excited (and hungry) bears chasing a food truck
Lisa Reddy
The Daily Buzz
January 14, 2016

You know that feeling you get when you see your food coming at a restaurant? Well, that excitement transcends species, as one viral video can prove.

International Animal Rescue (IAR) posted a video to Facebook this week of a group of very excited bears chasing the truck that delivers their food in Agra, India.  As the truck drives down the road through the animal sanctuary, more bears join the group. 

(...SNIPPED)

Massive tapeworm discovered inside man who complained of stomach ache

A 6.2-metre-long (20ft) tapeworm was found by doctors attached to a man’s small intestine after he ate raw meat

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/12114787/Massive-tapeworm-discovered-inside-man-who-complained-of-stomach-ache.html

For you Base Jumpers out there: Razor Wire.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6e0_1453844439#YKYtIcGPRfe0QCic.01

or

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/30679393/video-shows-base-jumper-land-in-razor-wire/?cmp=fb

??? I just lost all appetite for Unagi/eel in Japanese dishes... (pics at the link below)

Yahoo Daily Buzz

Terrifying creature described as “some sort of... eel” washes ashore in Australia

Elianna Lev
The Daily Buzz
February 16, 2016

A creature that can accurately be described as “monstrous” has ended up on a beach in Swansea, Australia.

The terrifying brute resembles a mix between a crocodile, a dolphin and freakishly large sea serpent, and was discovered by Robert Tyndall, according to the Newcastle Herald.

(...SNIPPED)

Spiders and wolves:  >:D

Yahoo News

Mum Finds Deadly Spider Nest Inside Her Lidl Bananas
[Yahoo News]
August 30, 2016

A mum got the shock of her life when she opened up her bunch of bananas she bought from Lidl - and found one of the world’s deadliest spiders inside.

The unidentified woman discovered a Brazilian wandering spider inside her bag of fruit - as well as a giant nest containing dozens of smaller arachnids emerging from an egg sac.

Now the terrified mum is having her entire house fumigated in case any of the poisonous critters escaped.

(...SNIPPED)

CBC

Hunters fend off wolves after dog attacked at wilderness camp
[CBC]
August 30, 2016

A group of hunters say they were forced to fight off two wolves after their dog was attacked at their wilderness camp in the N.W.T.'s Mackenzie Mountains last weekend. 

Only a few hours after the group had set up camp for their week-long adventure, they heard noises outside their tent. When Andrew Stanley went outside to see what was happening, he saw two husky-sized wolves attacking his dog, Charlie.

One wolf had the dog by the neck, and the other was biting the dog's legs, back, and belly. When Stanley approached with his rifle, the wolves let go of his dog and fled, but not before Stanley was able to shoot one of the wolves dead.

(...SNIPPED)

Back