• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Withdrawal of U.S. award

Of course we don‘t need all the silly little decorations that the Americans have. Some of them have some significant though. The CIB being one of them.
The Combat Infantryman Badge

There is nothing wrong with this decoration being awarded to the Canadian "Infantiers" who took part in the ground operations in Afghanistan. In fact, it is such an important award to the Americans that it should be an honour to even be considered. There probably aren‘t many American troops that worked with the PPCLI on operations over there that would oppose such an award. These days when every other guy has an OT in the works I say let‘em have it. Maybe it will keep some guys in, loving what they do...

A interesting topic. I may be wrong with this and if I am I will stand corrected. But I think if you research the way the US CIB is issued you may find that the solider must have been under enemy fire. So many US Infantry soldiers in Afganistan will not recieve it. Our soldiers overseas did a great job but Combat Patches or CIB, are not Canadian. What next will all those who served in Bosina and Croatia with the UN and were in combat there get to wear a UN patch for service in action in those areas of operations.. Or should not the soldiers of the Canadian Airborne Regt recieve CIB‘s for they were under US command in Somilia, and did a excellent job. The US Force Commander in Somilia held them in the highest regard. I think perhaps there was a little bit of politics on the Canadian side to the US side for such an award. And it was shot down by the US brass, and in my mind rightly so. The 3PPCLI Battle Group did what we pay them for overseas like countless other Canadian soldiers in the past. And I as a Canadian and ex soldier thank them for that. I think we would do well to stay clear the US patches and US customs, we after all have our own. Medals are a different matter dating back to the WW2. The famous Tommy Prince of the PPCLI served in the First Special Service Force, the joint US and Canadian force, and was awarded the US Silver Star. He wore that medal but not the US CIB. We are not Americans, at least not yet:)

FF

I agree with that, I think Canadians should stick with canadian patches and even still should only recieve them if the soldier did something extrodinary, soldiers shouldn‘t recieve patches for just doing there job.

Ofcourse this is only my opinion, but myself I think that these soldiers deserve nothing great, just the thank you‘s that they shall recieve. They should be happy and satified with just knowing they helped and did a good job.

They did do a good job and they did act bravely but so would most other soldiers if they were sent out to fight for and represent this great country

Back