• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Withdrawal of U.S. award

John Nayduk

Inactive
Reaction score
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- The U.S. military has withdrawn a proposal to give Canadian soldiers who served in Afghanistan a U.S. combat patch recognizing their efforts. The unprecedented award would have given Canadian soldiers the recognition they feel they deserve for serving in the dangerous Afghan desert. All Canadian soldiers who served in the region will receive a medal recognizing their service in Canada‘s contribution in the region. Soldiers who served in Afghanistan will receive an extra bar on the medal. But many here believe they should be receiving a unique medal that differs from that given to navy and air force personnel who served in the comparatively more comfortable and safer Arabian Gulf region. U.S. leadership in Kandahar over the last six months proposed the combat patch after working closely with the Canadian battle group based here since February. No reason was given for the withdrawal of the proposal. It‘s the second U.S. honour proposed for Canadian soldiers that has been derailed.Canadian snipers who impressed the Americans with their work in Operation Anaconda earlier this year were nominated for one of the highest awards given in the U.S. military -- the Bronze Star. But a decision by Canadian protocol officers on the award is still pending.
© Copyright 2002 The Ottawa Citizen

thats really idiotic they deserve the recognition

Why is it idiotic? and why do they deserve the award?

they desrve it for serving there for 6 months and being a large contribution for the war agains terrorism

So you are saying that they deserve an award for showing up?

No - they deserve recognition for having distinguished themselves in battle, and in doing so brought honour upon the reputation of the Canadian soldier.

They deserve praise for having demonstrated outstanding/remarkable proficiency at arms.

They deserve something for having fought well, won a battle, and in doing so rescued some American troops who were pinned down by enemy fire.

Our guys do NOT deserve to have their recognition denied and feats ignored due to accursed political correctness on the part of petty bureaucrats (a pox upon the latter).

PALMAM QUI MERUIT FERAT.—The palm belongs to him who deserves it.

The Motto on the Funeral Car of Lord Nelson, the Hero of the Nile and of Trafalgar.

They deserve something for having fought well, won a battle, and in doing so rescued some American troops who were pinned down by enemy fire.
3 PPCLI snipers were involved in some engagements, but answer me this question: What battle did they fight in Afghanistan? Is there something comparable to the Medak Pocket? The boys did a good job over there but, to be brutally honest, most of the lads were bored.

Good lord, there is no precedent for wearing a "patch" (do we even know what kind of patch they are talking about?)

They got paid to do exactly what they did. Let‘s save the Presidential Unit Citation for guys who actually get shot at, shall we?

The campaign medal they will no doubt receive from the Canadian government is adequate compensation, along with the thanks of a grateful nation - and the thanks of our allies. The Americans have been very gracious about offering these awards, that should be enough.

There may be opportunity yet to win Battle Honours in Iraq and North Korea - pray God that isn‘t true.

I know for a fact that our troops worked damn hard over there, hauling 100 pound loads over mountains in 40 degree heat - but that is what they were trained to do.

American patches have no place on Canadian uniforms; let‘s not be overly silly.

Maybe we can start decorating soldiers for keeping their rifles clean and not contracting sexually transmitted diseases while we are at it.

I do agree that the snipers - including the new world record holder for distance - should be allowed to wear their Bronze Stars. Precedent for that has been set in spades - and would be less insulting than awarding them the Canadian MB instead - as if to tell our American friends that our medals aren‘t good enough for us.

Did any of the soldiers get issued medals (on top of the tour medals) for Medak Pocket?

Did any of the soldiers get issued medals (on top of the tour medals) for Medak Pocket?
2 PPCLI was just awarded the Commander in Chief Unit Commendation.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/honours_awards/engraph/recent_e.asp?cat=3

Can anyone answer the question, "Is 3 PPCLI actions in Afghanistan more or less than what 2 PPCLI accomplished at the Medak Pocket?".

I think Gunner is making a good point; If there are a ton of awards given out simply for going on a tour, then they quickly begin to lose their meaning.. Would a Victoria Cross still be such a prestegious and respected medal if everyone who saw combat received one?

Michael, I was only asking if they did or not. I don‘t know too much on the Medak Pocket, so it‘s hard for me to say...

I am in the same boat; would be interesting to learn more. Maybe someone who was there will happen along? There have been several bravery medals awarded in the last ten years or so, I don‘t recall off hand if any were awarded for Medak Pocket though my understanding is that the troops who served there performed very bravely and in excess of what would normally have been expected of a unit employed in that region.

I meant to point out early that the award in question is a long standing tradition in the US Army. Soldiers who serve with a unit in a combat environment are allowed to wear that badge on the left shoulder of their uniform after they leave that unit. In this case, there was a proposal that members of 3 PPCLI would be able to wear the 101st Airborne badge on their left shoulder.

With regards to bravery awards given out during peacekeeping missions. There were numberous awards given out to soldiers conducting actual heroic events. Sgt Tom Hoppe from the LdSH(RC) is one person who comes to mind. At one time he was one of the most decorated soldiers in the CF (MB and MSM).

I‘m not aware of any personal acts of bravery by soldiers from 3 PPCLI. Certainly with the level of media coverage that they have received there would have been something leaked....

Gunner, I think you have the shoulders backwards - former combat service is shown by wearing the div patch on the RIGHT shoulder of the US Army uniform.

EDIT - actually, a matter of perspective. The soldier wears it on his right arm - looking at the soldier from his front, it would be on your (the viewer‘s) left.

I don‘t think that that‘s the patch that they‘re talking about. The government would never allow that to happen. It would make more sense if the badge in question was the CIB (Combat Infantryman Badge)
CIB.JPG

It would be more plausible to receive this badge/patch because it could be worn under existing foreign badge policies. For example, you may only wear your American jump wings if you are in the states. Same would go for the CIB.

That‘s a good point, Doug, and kind of a neat idea - if the PPCLI were under American command, there could be a case for the CIB.

Canada should have come up with something like this a long time ago, really. Only the Americans and the Germans (with their Infanteriesturmabzeichen) seem to have felt the need to "reward" those who have served in infantry units in combat conditions.

Back