• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why watching game shows is like watching CSI

Trinity

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Because they're all the same

Seriously...

It started with Who wants to be a millionaire
answer a question... and you elevate levels

and you get lifelines

And now, like CSI, CSI Miami, CSY NY, there's game show spin offs that are essentially the same

1 vs 100
Deal or No Deal
and now.....  Identity

All involve increasing pay levels set to a standard
all include some type of life lines
no other contestants

It's a cut and paste job of the other game shows... and it's so boring.

It's getting SAD.

/rant off

If it makes money networks are likely to beat every version of something to death, and then some, I mean look at this Rocky Balboa coming out now, there's no originality left

What really ticks me off is that all these shows on now adays are just rip offs of british shows ie. The Office, Who wants to be a millionaire, alot of other game shows ... Can they not think of their own story ideas??

inkedchick said:
What really ticks me off is that all these shows on now adays are just rip offs of british shows ie. The Office, Who wants to be a millionaire, alot of other game shows ... Can they not think of their own story ideas??

That's what's so great about America, kid. You don't need brains, (Britney) talent, (Paris) or even good looks (Donald Trump) to be successful. You just need to steal someone else's ideas.

inkedchick said:

Well, at least The Office is pretty funny, rip off or not.

We have the "vote someone off game show too"

Last model standing
American Idol
Survivor
The Apprentice

The only vote off game show that I found entertaining
was my CFJNCO....  you failed the PO, please pack up
your kit and leave the island.  And of course the DS don't
tell you when people are gone.

A few hours later you look around... 
"where's Pete?"
And everyone just gives you that tired glare and then
just stare to the ground. 

Ah JLC.. how I don't miss you.

btw.. I wasn't voted off the island!

Don't forget the young horny twenty somethings living in a house shows.

Real World
The Duel
The Lofters
Laguna Beach
Road Rules
Real World Road Rules Challenge
One Ocean View
Miss Seventeen

I thought Laguna Beach was the reality show equivalent to The OC?

..I think my IQ just went down a bit just for saying that.

Frederik G said:
I thought Laguna Beach was the reality show equivalent to The OC?

..I think my IQ just went down a bit just for saying that.

So that's what that crashing noise was >:D

In all seriousness though, they really just rip off shows from other continents because a) they can b) nobody in North A has seen them before and d) o ya, they can

I've got a really cool function on my TV remote.  If I push the number buttons in a certain order, a  different channel comes on the screen.  Another cool idea on it, there's a red button that, when pushed, turns it off completely!  Ain't technology somethin'?

Kat Stevens said:
I've got a really cool function on my TV remote.  If I push the number buttons in a certain order, a  different channel comes on the screen.  Another cool idea on it, there's a red button that, when pushed, turns it off completely!  Ain't technology somethin'?

All the buttons on my remote are black. Guess that must be why I'm always watching TV when I'm home.

Trinity said:
The only vote off game show that I found entertaining
was my CFJNCO....   you failed the PO, please pack up
your kit and leave the island.  And of course the DS don't
tell you when people are gone.

A few hours later you look around... 
"where's Pete?"
And everyone just gives you that tired glare and then
just stare to the ground. 

Ah JLC.. how I don't miss you.

btw.. I wasn't voted off the island!
My fave was my ISCC at the PPCLI Battle School back in 1990 (yes, I was an RCR then at the Patricia Battle School!  Talk about fun!)  Anyway, my favourite episode from that series occured during week 3 or 4.  We were doing crunchies or some other God Aweful stuff in the shacks, in arctic gear with the staff focussing on varoius contestants.  One fella was asked "Do you want to be here?", and answered "Yes!  Master Corporal!"  "Bulls--t!" and so on.  I felt the honour of being a contestant for a bit, yelling through my respirator that yes, indeed, I did want to be there.  A few wall sits and pushups later, another fella was asked "Do YOU want to be here?", and much to our surprise, answered "No, Master Corporal!"  "Fine.  Everybody kit up and on the road.  Except you, Bloggins".  Well, we went out to the road, got marched to dinner (for which we had exactly five minutes to be back out on the road, formed up, all accounted for).  Nobody noticed that Bloggins wasn't there.  We marched back to the shacks, and there was no trace of him.  His bed was folded up, his kit was gone and nobody asked The Question.

My Phase III had an interesting episode one day out at Dunn's Corner here in Gagetown.  We lined up for supper and were told that "...in fifteen minutes, everyone has eaten, this is all packed up, and you are at the LD, ready to advance."  I was the Weapons' Det Commander at the time (meaning I was near the end of the line), and I still had my steak (it was Thursday), another steak (after going back for seconds), two cigarettes and a bowel movement.  Although nobody was voted out on that episode, it just proved to us slack and idle candidates, that yes, timings, even insane timings, can be met!

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
and were told that "...in fifteen minutes, everyone has eaten, this is all packed up, and you are at the LD, ready to advance."  and I still had my steak (it was Thursday), another steak (after going back for seconds), two cigarettes and a bowel movement.  Although nobody was voted out on that episode, it just proved to us slack and idle candidates, that yes, timings, even insane timings, can be met!

You were able to eat AND smoke at the same place, in those times, weren't you ; ) ?

Yrys said:
You were able to eat AND smoke at the same place, in those times, weren't you ; ) ?

Yup!  The Lawfield Corridor Restaurant was not a Smoke Free Restaurant in those days.  ;D

Our house used to watch lots of Jeopardy when I was at uni.  I lived in England in 2005, and got hooked on 'University Challenge' ... just a simple quiz show for university students, and while I'm pretty clever with Jeopardy questions, I'd be lucky to get four or five on this  British show.  As far as I know, it was for nothing more than the prestige of being the top school after the knockout rounds were completed.  And the current host, Jeremy Paxton, is such an arrogant prick, that's it's also funny to hear his condescending tones when the team isn't able to, say, name the piece and year of the piece of boroque music played for them.

They also have Mastermind, which I think also is without prizes or money.  Four contestants per show compete in two rounds of trivia questions.  The first round is for each contestant's 'mastermind' subject - where they are quizzed for a number of minutes (forget how many) on their subject of choice.  Points are carried over to the general knowledge round, and the winner of the episode goes onto the next round and so on.  Some of us feel we can be experts in a certain area, but if you're going to go all the way, you probably have to come up with five or six specialty subjects, and the questions are VERY specific.

What also makes it interesting is the format.  They're put in a simple chair, with the room darkened and a spotlight on them, and the quiz master.  I remember hearing that the original quiz master was once interrogated by the Gestapo in such a manner and thought it might be a good format to put pressure on the contestant!  :o

Yrys said:

We were out amongst the animals.  Dunn's Corner is just a T-Junction out in the middle of the training area.

Ah yes the CF version of reality TV, Leadership Courses.

My personal favourite episode was my Senior NCO Course when the D/S made us poor masochists i mean candidates serve them a formal mess dinner in the field, table cloths, silver the whole nine yards, and then after serving as waiters they allowed us to retire to our hovels to slurp down our hay box lunches in our mess tins., yup mess tins. They confiscated all the melmac day one and ensured we used mess tins, the same mess tins we had to shine up purty for inspections (hmm that probably explains a lot in restrospect).

Of course we were all invited to sit down and join them for a nice meal. Just had to sign on the dotted line. We'd have a meal, then a ride back to the shacks, hot shower and probably even time for a few wobbly pops while the processed the RTU paper work. Surprisingly no takers.

However for the utmost in  reality leadership course food horror stories ask Muskrat about his CLC.  8)

Danjanou said:
They confiscated all the melmac day one and ensured we used mess tins, the same mess tins we had to shine up purty for inspections (hmm that probably explains a lot in restrospect)

Yep, explains your ALS (aluminum pot syndrome)  ;D

Back