• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

why was the navy so secretive

jwhitten

Inactive
Reaction score
So the Canadian armed forces just put off a training operation called CUTLASS FURY and some of the ships involved were stationed in st.johns harbor. And i noticed that two american ships were away from all the others,we went over to get a better view and a US military police and US navy men were standing in the road with tire spikes layed down.We only went over to ask the name of the two ships and he said they were "classified" and on the back of one of the ships there was a gazebo set up. i'm just wondering what would cause the navy to be so secretive about the ships they have stationed? or is it because there were like special forces on the ships? also all the other ships everyone could see and read the names.

jwhitten said:
So the Canadian armed forces just put off a training operation called CUTLASS FURY and some of the ships involved were stationed in st.johns harbor. And i noticed that two american ships were away from all the others,we went over to get a better view and a US military police and US navy men were standing in the road with tire spikes layed down.We only went over to ask the name of the two ships and he said they were "classified" and on the back of one of the ships there was a gazebo set up. i'm just wondering what would cause the navy to be so secretive about the ships they have stationed? or is it because there were like special forces on the ships? also all the other ships everyone could see and read the names.

Different countries have different security procedures and requirements. 

jwhitten said:

Attachments

• Ancient-Aliens-Meme-600x300.jpg
    Ancient-Aliens-Meme-600x300.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 328
jwhitten said:

Yes, the US Navy is very secretive about naming the vessels that they have deployed.  They make no announcements nor promote any publicity . . .
http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2016/09/24/bold-strong-and-ready-during-exercise-cutlass-fury/
U.S. forces included guided missile destroyers USS Gonzalez (DDG 66) and USS Bulkeley (DDG 84); dry cargo ship USNS Robert E. Peary (T-AKE-5); the staff of Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 28; and elements of Carrier Strike Group 8, Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit 2, Patrol Squadron 26 (VP 26), Helicopter Sea Control Squadron 28 (HSC 28) and Helicopter Strike Maritime Squadron 72 (HSM 72).

The term "classified" could have one of two meaning in a military or naval setting.  The first one (occasionally misused) is that the dissemination of information must be restricted  for security reasons.  The second meaning is "F**k off, you irritating little prick, don't bother me because I'm pissed off being stuck here doing this while the other guys are getting ready to hit town and get drunk and laid".

Back