• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Not Canadian Amphib/Marine Capability? (merged)

Besides we are not alone with not having a Marine force...I don't recall Australian, New Zealand or South Africa having one either...

The Netherlands and Taiwan both have marines, as does South Korea (I believe). In Mexico I have seen troops in dark uniforms guarding naval installations, but I do not know whether these were sailors, naval infantry or marines.

AS does Russia (naval Infanty with amphibious APC's...marines) China apperantly has some kind of Marine Unit. To name a few nations with them. I would guess Canada doesnt have them as it doesnt need them? But you could say the infantry units landing on the beachs in WWII and Korea where acting as marines, that is, INfantry units attacking from sea and forcing a landing...

rz350 said:
AS does Russia (naval Infanty with amphibious APC's...marines) China apperantly has some kind of Marine Unit. To name a few nations with them. I would guess Canada doesnt have them as it doesnt need them? But you could say the infantry units landing on the beachs in WWII and Korea where acting as marines, that is, INfantry units attacking from sea and forcing a landing...

That does not make them marines though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marines#List_of_national_marine_corps.2C_by_country

True, they are not really designated as, or having the equipment of a true marine unit (organic naval deployment and the like) but they where acting hand in hand with the USMC, doing the exact same role in pretty much the same way, which is why I mentioned them acting as marines. But its true, they are not a real marine unit. I was just trying to show that Canada has been invovled, (successfully at that) with "marine style" warfare.

Fluffy - If you had bothered to read the above posts before jumping in you would note that the Americans, Brits, the French & Spain have Marines (of the naval infantry genre).

I heard a small rumor last month from LFCTA Meafrod that the prospect of Canadian Marines might not be so far off. Ive heard how rumors go in the CF but we will wait and see.

DiamondDarryl said:
I heard a small rumor last month from LFCTA Meafrod that the prospect of Canadian Marines might not be so far off. Ive heard how rumors go in the CF but we will wait and see.

Try doing a search on the Standing Contingency Task Force, probably the source of your rumour.

BTW, congrats on bringing up an 8 month old thread without actually adding any insightful information

Darryl,
The CF borrowed a ship from the US Navy to trial out some doctrine.
Will this mean a "regiment" of marines? don't think so.  Infantry battalions, Armd Reg'ts, Arty Reg'ts and CERs will get some additional new hats to fit into....

Thanks for the sarcasm free response Geo. Sounds like a good time too me. Any idea when they were trying this out?

DiamondDarryl said:
Thanks for the sarcasm free response Geo. Sounds like a good time too me. Any idea when they were trying this out?

ITEE was over in November IIRC

Short trial with R22R Coy was in November.
Believe they are supposed to have another go at it in the Spring (feb/march) time frame.

Old Sweat said:
In Mexico I have seen troops in dark uniforms guarding naval installations, but I do not know whether these were sailors, naval infantry or marines.

Commissionaires.... just kidding...had to say it.

geo said:
Darryl,
The CF borrowed a ship from the US Navy to trial out some doctrine.
Will this mean a "regiment" of marines? don't think so.  Infantry battalions, Armd Reg'ts, Arty Reg'ts and CERs will get some additional new hats to fit into....

I seen parts of it... very intresting.  ;)

Can anyone speculate as to why Canada is with a specialized Marine Force like the Royal Marines or USMC.

I think it is unfortunate that the CF must borrow equipment, facilities, and trainers from the US Marines to practice amphibious assaults.

Can anyone speculate as to why Canada is with a specialized Marine Force like the Royal Marines or USMC.

I presume you meant to ask why we are without a specialized Marine Force.  If not I am not sure I understand the question.

Back