• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Not Canadian Amphib/Marine Capability? (merged)

CADRE ran its course a few years ago as I have mentioned before. The lessons learned from CADRE and the eventual replacing of the CPFs evolved into the Single Ship Transition Project. The only way I think it could be speeded up is to get rid of the red tape and bureuacracy that DND has built up over the years whenever we go into the market for new capital projects.

Ex-Dragoon said:
CADRE ran its course a few years ago as I have mentioned before. The lessons learned from CADRE and the eventual replacing of the CPFs evolved into the Single Ship Transition Project. The only way I think it could be speeded up is to get rid of the red tape and bureuacracy that DND has built up over the years whenever we go into the market for new capital projects.

Can you elaborate on that?
i)   Timeline for Single Ship Transition Project Development (when could it conceiveably become operational?)
ii)   Where are the roadblocks in the current procurement model and if you were advising the CDS, what would you recommend to fix it?

Thanks again,

Matthew.    :salute:

CB I am just a working body that is too far above my pay level but like I alluded to earlier I would streamline the red tape and bureaucracy so we could get equipment within a couple of years vice generational like it seems to be now.

Ex-Dragoon said:
CB I am just a working body that is too far above my pay level but like I alluded to earlier I would streamline the red tape and bureaucracy so we could get equipment within a couple of years vice generational like it seems to be now.

Well then you need to hurry up and get a couple of promotions so you can throw your weight around a little.

Cheers Ex-Dragoon.

Matthew.    ;D

I've been thinking about this, and read some of the thread. Though it should be returned to life!  >:D

I'll start off simple. I think Canada should begin building up a Marine Corps. We, as its been posted, work on fixing up our current forces, but creating a Marine Corps, would open up a new avenue for potential soldiers that want different experience. Also, I believe Canada should have a quick reaction force, as threats arrive so quickly now, and opportunities to destroy them are based on timing, a CF quick reaction force IMO is a huge must in modern warfare.

GTG... that's what JTF2 is all about
theyre also building up some backup... so we're covered -= more or less
but!!!... the backup force they're assembling will have to come from somewhere... ergo: they're gonna have to come from the Operational Brigades... which means that it's gonna suck for a while to come

IMHO

GTG

Further to Geo's comments - look up Joint Action Task Force and SCTF (Special Contingency Task Force).   The SCTF will be a "marine-like" organisation once it stands up and the JATF will be a sort of special operations type support force which will be working with JTF II.   I believe there are websites for both in the CF DIN.  Here's the "marine" site.

http://navy.dwan.dnd.ca/SCTF/

Looks promising. This is the kind of experience I'm looking for (without having to join the US Marines and having to toss my Canadian citizenship  :eek: )

I'm not so familiar with miltary structure and organization.  I just notice that Canada has no Marine unit.  Why?

artsee said:
I'm not so familiar with miltary structure and organization.  I just notice that Canada has no Marine unit.  Why?
No history of deploying our troops overseas to fight in a littoral environment, I suppose. 

Marines, being Navy, often require ships.

Now, look at the Canadian Navy.

You can't have one without the other. ;)

recceguy said:
Marines, being Navy, often require ships.

Now, look at the Canadian Navy.

You can't have one without the other. ;)
I guess that was the obvious answer.  I didn't see the forest for all the trees :D

artsee said:

Probably because you were too tied up in other anti-war drivel to actually take the time
too look at Canadian Forces and what it means to be a soldier.

Oh wait... sorry.. that's the other thread you posted in.  :-\

:D
Good on you, Trinity.  Me? I don't have the time (or skill) to search on what others have posted.  Cheers

Garvin out

artsee said:

Gee, I guess since we are pawns of the American War Machine we should hurry up and form a Marine unit, right?  Then we can be hated all through the world as well, according to you  ::)
I call you "slinky"

Hi Artsee, while Im not a fan of your politics- its an interesting question and I wouldnt mind an answer from any of our resident historians- The Spanish, The french, the Brits and the Americans have them....and a couple smaller countries as well. Its just something we never really got into.

let's identify the need, develop the doctrine and then staff the force..........
(not staff the force and then figure out what to do with it)

I am not sure if I qualify as a resident historian, but marines originated in the days of sail as troops embarked on ships of the line to perform a variety of tasks such as assisting in the maintenance of discipline, engaging enemy crew from positions in the masts, forming the nucleus of landing parties, etc. In the Victorian era marines began to be employed in a expeditionary role in support of expansionist policies. As our navy was not formed until the early twentieth century and our foreign and defence policy was, until now, Eurocetric and colonial in attitude, the force planners could and would not have given marines more than a passing thought.

Old Sweat said:
I am not sure if I qualify as a resident historian, but marines originated in the days of sail as troops embarked on ships of the line to perform a variety of tasks such as assisting in the maintenance of discipline, engaging enemy crew from positions in the masts, forming the nucleus of landing parties, etc. In the Victorian era marines began to be employed in a expeditionary role in support of expansionist policies. As our navy was not formed until the early twentieth century and our foreign and defence policy was, until now, Eurocetric and colonial in attitude, the force planners could and would not have given marines more than a passing thought.

I can dig it.  ;D i figured it had to be something to do with us having a youthful navy. For the record I wasnt advocating us creating such a force now. More wondering why it never happened in the past!

......... old sweat's explanation is bang on WRT why we didn't have one.
we still don't have one cause we don't have a mission that would require the doctrine to be developed (nor the kit for them to work from)

Back