• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who'll be the next CDS? Speculation here, please!!

This man is a great man to serve our forces, I will be looking forward to his command.

Harley Sailor said:
But has he ever been to sea Billy.

Why is that important? Among other candidates, had Lt.-Gen. Angus Watt ever commanded a Brigade? Had Vice-Admiral Drew Robertson ever flown a jet?

PM selects the CDS, and as VCDS, Gen. Natynczyk is familliar with issues that affect ALL the elements.

On a personal note, I met the man in Afghanistan last year. Came up to the working Ptes and Cpls, and seemed genuinely interested in hearing what we had to say.

CTV.ca News Staff

Natynczyk, who currently serves as vice-chief of defence staff, will replace Hillier after he steps down on July 1.

"Lieutenant-General Walter J. Natynczyk brings strong leadership and unparalleled experience to his new position," Harper said in a statement Friday.

"His service record includes a broad range of achievement at home and abroad. The Canadian Forces are a vital institution making a tremendous contribution to our country. Walter Natynczyk is the ideal person to lead the Canadian Forces forward."

Defence Minister Peter MacKay and Natynczyk spoke to reporters in the House of Commons foyer following the announcement.

"We have great confidence, clearly, in his capability, in his approach to military and this is a very good-news story for Canada," said MacKay.

Noting some people may have difficulty with the general's name, the defence minister tried to help out.

"The thing we're all going to have to do is (learn) how to pronounce his name correctly. It's nuh-TIN-chuck," MacKay said.

He called Natynczyk -- a tank officer who also has a business degree -- a "gentleman's general." The description appears to have caught the soldier off guard.

"It is an interesting comment," Natynczyk said. "Some might know me as a rugby player and a football player."

Natynczyk, who is affectionately known among the troops as "Uncle Walt," told reporters he was honoured to be selected as the new CDS.

"I'm looking forward to providing the leadership to the men and women of the Canadian Forces, providing security for Canada, for Canadians, and... for all those families of our military men and women," he said.

In 2006, Natynczyk travelled with Harper to Afghanistan and they developed a close bond, CTV's Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife said Friday.

"People close to the prime minister have told me that the prime minister really, really respected him," said Fife.

Natynczyk, a native of Winnipeg, joined the Canadian Forces in August 1975. He became the vice-chief of defence staff in June 2006. Some career highlights:

He attended Royal Roads Military College and Collège Militaire Royal in St-Jean, Que., graduating with a Business Administration degree in 1979.
He has operational experience at various levels in Bosnia, Herzegovina, and with UNPROFOR HQ in Zagreb, Croatia.
His key command appointments include Commanding Officer of the Royal Canadian Dragoons; Deputy Commanding General, III Corps; Deputy Commanding General of the Multi-National Corps (Iraq); and command of Land Force Doctrine and Training System in Canada.
He was also Chief Transformation where he was responsible for implementation of the force restructuring and the enabling processes and policies. Natynczyk became the vice-chief of defence staff in June 2006.
He spent 15 months in Iraq as deputy commander of some U.S.-led forces. Natynczyk says the fight against insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan is almost identical, a point of view that has raised some concerns.

"He commanded 35,000 troops in Iraq. We don't want him to just simply transfer the U.S. approach in Iraq, my Gosh, to Canada's role in Afghanistan," said Steven Staples, the head of the Rideau Institute, an Ottawa-based think tank.

Natynczyk said there will be no significant strategy changes in Afghanistan.

Hillier's term as CDS

The Liberal government of then-prime minister Paul Martin appointed Hillier, born in Newfoundland in 1955, as chief of defence staff in January 2005.

A strategic thinker with field experience, he served as the senior NATO officer in Afghanistan before being named CDS. Hillier is revered by the troops, but has had some run-ins with the Tory government.

Hillier crossed swords with former defence minister Gordon O'Connor, who was eventually replaced by Peter MacKay in an August 2007 cabinet shuffle.

Last fall, Hillier appeared to contradict Harper. The general said Canadian troops could be in Afghanistan for 10 years -- after Harper said the mission could be accomplished by 2011.

Hillier then said he was on the "same sheet of paper" as the prime minister about the mission. But the controversies triggered rumours Hillier would be replaced. Hillier announced in April he would be stepping down on July 1.

In his statement Friday, Harper thanked Hillier for his leadership as CDS.

With a report by CTV's Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife and files from The Canadian Press

I had the pleasure of meeting him with mym wife and son today.Very friendly man and wlaked with me and my family for a good block talking about my upcoming roto and how nice the new leopards were.He shook my hand and my wife's and thanked me for what I was doing and thanked my wife for the hard job of being a military wife.

Very personable guy.He's a shoe in.I don't think he will have any hard time filling the boot's of the last CDS.

On a side note it was a very hot day in Ottawa on the hill,all the parade of RCR and RCD (senior) looked great in scarlets.General Hillier told the Officers on parade to stand the boys at ease due to the heat..said something along the lines ofwe can still have all pomp and pagentry but let's use some common sense as well.Excellent guy leaving and a excellent guy coming in.

Bold and swift.

He will be a great CDS.  Different from Gen Hillier, but great in his own right.  I am 100% behind him. 

Recce By Death said:
Smilin' Walt....that's two in a row.

Another good day to be a Dragoon.

Regards

He was called "Odie" while he was the BC in D Sqn, 8CH. IIRC he picked up "Smilin' Walt" soon after. I wonder why he's never smiling in the pictures that I see in the paper.

He was the best officer that I served with, bar none.

The entire CF will benefit from Gen Natynczyk's leadership!  Excellent choice Mr. Harper!

HighlandFusilier said:
I guess the idea of the puzzle palace is that no Navy or Air Force brass can handle the Afghanistan mission?

HF, don't forget that LGen Watt served as ISAF DComd(Air) in 2006 prior to his appointment as CAS.  He is very familiar with the AFG mission and the jointness that supports the mission on the ground.  ;)

G2G

Let the speculation begin anew!
The government is expected to launch a search for Canada’s next top soldier to replace Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Walter Natynczyk in the coming weeks.

Insiders have told Postmedia News that no official timeline has been given for making a decision and Gen. Natynczyk, who has held his post since July 2008, has not publicly declared he is stepping down.

There is also no set limit to the amount of time he can hold the position, as he serves at the prime minister’s pleasure.

But those spoken to believe a new chief of defence staff will be in place by the end of the summer, which would correspond with the historical trend of three- and four-year terms.

Whoever takes over is widely expected to be of a different breed from Gen. Natynczyk — and his predecessor, Gen. Rick Hillier.

When Gen. Natynczyk took over from Gen. Hillier during a high-profile change-of-command ceremony on July 2, 2008, Canadian troops were still embroiled in heavy fighting with insurgents in Kandahar.

At the same time, the federal government was still boasting surpluses and had recently unveiled a plan to provide billions of dollars for the military over the next 20 years to grow its size and capabilities.

(....)

it’s widely expected the next chief of defence staff will be from the navy or air force and will have a lower profile than generals Hillier and Natynczyk, quietly implementing the spending cuts while seeing the major procurement projects through to fruition.

But Douglas Bland, a defence expert at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ont. who authored a book on chiefs of defence, said whoever succeeds Gen. Natynczyk will also have to vie for the government’s attention during a time of fiscal constraint while reassuring the troops that another “decade of darkness” isn’t looming.

(....)

Contrary to popular belief, Mr. Bland said, there is no rule that the position rotate among the air force, army and navy. Similarly, there is no set process for selecting a chief of defence staff.

“It is very much, absolutely in the hands of the prime minister,” he said.

In some instances, as with Gen. Natynczyk, a committee made up of senior officials, the minister of defence and representatives from the Prime Minister’s Office will screen candidates and offer their advice.

Paul Martin, in contrast, took an active role in deciding to appoint Gen. Hillier.
Postmedia News, 10 May 12

This will be an interesting thread for the next few weeks. Let the speculation begin....

Navy, if it is a political decision....

Air Force is embarassing because of F35

Army means re-enforcing the support for Afghanistan and the political front wants that issue to go away quietly.

fraserdw said:
Navy, if it is a political decision....

Really? Because I'm sure it looks good that they've sunk billions into subs that are just going to get going sometime in the next few years.

There's no easy answer like you imply.

If they are looking at it for Political issues, then it seems as they will pick another Army CDS, for as everything is finally winding down, the Canadian Army seems to be less of a political burden. Unless something flares up else wheres in the world, that needs our attention.

PuckChaser said:
Really? Because I'm sure it looks good that they've sunk billions into subs that are just going to get going sometime in the next few years.

There's no easy answer like you imply.

5 years?? That must be in dog years. VIC is doing sea trials, WDR is commencing sea trials and CHI should be in the water this fall.

I think the CF should launch a "So you want to be the CDS" reality show where all the top officers move onto an island and compete in challenges that have nothing to do with being CDS. Every week, one officer is voted off by an audience poll. At the end, all the voted off officers get together and select the winner out of the last two standing.

At least it would be entertaining.

jeffb said:
I think the CF should launch a "So you want to be the CDS" reality show where all the top officers move onto an island and compete in challenges that have nothing to do with being CDS. Every week, one officer is voted off by an audience poll. At the end, all the voted off officers get together and select the winner out of the last two standing.

One question: May I host?

;)

jeffb said:

Or "CDS Idol".  Or maybe even "So You Think You Can Dance - CDS edition".

Back