• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHEN IS the next Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) ?

Just got off the phone with CFRC Vancouver and confirmed that Oct NOAB is full. The date they gave me for the next NOAB is possibly February.

This is from my e-mail correspondence with the CFRC this afternoon:

The NOAB Board is full, the next opportunity will be in December. That board will only be held if there are any positions left.

Good luck to all of us waiting  :-\.

"if there are any positions left"

well good luck to everyone!

Also, I'm going through a component transfer and the Master Seaman I was talking to wasn't so sure if CT applicants need to do NOAB. Can anyone clarify on this?

I'm going to say you'll probably have to do NOAB, my buddy was a stoker in the reserves and he had to do it.

The NOAB Board is full, the next opportunity will be in December. That board will only be held if there are any positions left.
Well that doesn't sound so great for my chances.  Very good chance they already had filled it by last Monday, which was the first day I was eligible for it.  Still hoping against hope though.  I am applying for NCS eng which I think they have a harder time filling than MARS, so hey who knows.

Also, at least there is a shot they will hold one in December.  My CFRC had told me probably not until 2011.

Anyway, good luck to all the rest of you waiting as well.

Matt, I'm applying for NCS ENG as well and I was told by my file manager that there are 4 NCS ENG positions left and 7 applications right now. However, I am applying under the component transfer process so I'm not sure if the numbers I got applies to your case as well.

GlobeMaster:

I am one of the applicant out of the 7 waiting to hear for NOAB. My name is on the list. Unofficially I heard I am on the board but not officially from RC.

-First time poster long time reader
I just got off the phone with the Recruiting Center and I've been selected to attend the NOAB on Oct 18-22(NCSE).  They told me that I was selected from the previous board a couple of months ago and that the choosing of applicants for the Oct 22 NOAB will be done on Sept 27(if you were not merit listed during the last selection).  They've already given me the packet....I think I'm gonna cry......1 1/2 years waiting.....    If There's anyone who's attending and would like to discuss the upcoming NOAB, please send me a message or Email

Vandy said:
-First time poster long time reader
I just got off the phone with the Recruiting Center and I've been selected to attend the NOAB on Oct 18-22(NCSE).  They told me that I was selected from the previous board a couple of months ago and that the choosing of applicants for the Oct 22 NOAB will be done on Sept 27(if you were not merit listed during the last selection).  They've already given me the packet....I think I'm gonna cry......1 1/2 years waiting.....    If There's anyone who's attending and would like to discuss the upcoming NOAB, please send me a message or Email

Hello Vandy, did you receive any notifications as to when you were 'merit listed'? And what does it mean to be 'merit listed'? You mentioned that you've been waiting for 1.5 years, is that after your completed your file (i.e. CFAT, medical, interview, background/ref checks, etc.) or when you handed the application in? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but it would be helpful to know as I just went complete (that is  CFAT, medical, interview, background/ref checks, etc. are clear) last week.

My Med/CFat and Background checks took an extraordinary long time due to the fact that my education was obtained outside of Canada and I have a weird degree that they had to assess(Architecture).  I was Merit listed on Jun 22, 2010. 
Merit Listed- ready to accept contract and all checks are complete 
Really, I only waited 3 months for the NOAB.  They also told me they had a pile of applicants for this NOAB, because of the lack of other open trades.

My interview was completed on Jul 27th 2010. My checks took extra time coz I studied outside Canada too. But I havent heard anything from Edmonton RC about NOAB. They have only 1 answer "Your name is on list for this NOAB. We dont know if your name has been selected for attending it" Its frustrating as in most the applicants work as engineers and have to make arrangements for days off. Secondly they are recruiting officers I wish if there was some sort of professionalism involved as well. Thirdly it is suppose to be a transparent process as compared to civilian industry. The delay in information dissemination in information age is VERY FRUSTRATING

Still waiting just checked my house voice mail and spoke with RC yesterday still I was told to wait. TOTALLY CONFUSED!!!

K

Really, what's confusing about it? "Your name is on the list for NOAB. We don't know if your name has been selected for attending it. Please wait" I'd say that's pretty transparent.

Someone mentioned earlier that selection is happening next week.

Confusing as in some people already know they are on it or out of it. Some others dont know. Some RCs know which candidates are going others dont. Thats confsuing. Thats what I am referring to transparency in process. So I can then assume some RCs have good connections that they know more than other RCs with not so good connections. Some RCs have better computers that they update regularly and others have not so good computers

I think the issue is that certain candidates were already  merit listed for the  previous NOAB but couldn't get on so they got first offers for this NOAB. The rest of our files are still on that list waiting to be selected. This is just my guess though, the system itself isn't perfect.

Merit listing is based on a single number that takes your CFAT, interview, schooling etc into place and gives you a ranking.  Based on that ranking they make a list of everyone and when they make a cutoff date it is your position on that list that determines if you are given an offer or not.  If for example you are ranked as a 69.4 and someone else is a 69.3 you will get an offer before them.  Now that being said it is not a percentage so don't ask what the number actually means.  The key and I know it is difficult is to relax because once you are merit listed you have no input into the system.  You have done all you can do and that is it.

If you were to be offered a position to attend the NOAB it is based on that ranking so if there are 20 positions they will take the 20 top ranked candidates and make them offers to attend.  If you were to attend and pass all the assessments and seem like you will have command presence etc then they will make you an offer at the end of the NOAB week.  You may be the top ranked candidate going into NOAB and not get an offer.

Now as for some CFRC's being better than others.  I don't think so.  They are all busy and all have a lot of work to do.  I would just relax and hope for an offer.  Some may dedicate more time to you but they all get the information on the same day and they all make offers in the same sequence. 

I have been there in the nervous anticipation of if I will get an offer or not.  I know that it is difficult.  Take up yoga, go for a run, hit the weights  etc.  Learn to relax or you will not survive NOAB without an ulcer and you will not survive your career without hypertension, a stroke or a heart attack.  There will be stress in the career path you have chosen.  You NEED to be able to handle that stress and channel it or there will be issues later on.

Nicely drafted Northernboy_24. Issues with me yes I am very nervous getting stressed out and frustrated. Reasons I have lived upto this dream for last 2 years day in day out. I cannot wait for another 2 seconds that I know I am on NOAB list waiting to be loaded on.

My frustrations are :

1. Why are they making me wait until last moment. Now we all know NOAB is not a gaurantee to a job in navy. So in mean time we are all working other jobs and in recessive market when its employer market right now, noone will want to jinx the current job. It becomes so difficult to get days off. If we are told at least a month in advance it is so comfortable to get things in place.

2. Secondly there are a few people who already know that they are not ON the NOAB. Well I am sure they are not the ones from last NOAB spill pver. Thats why I was asking about the systems getting updated and connections of RC

3. I do not have the patience any more to wait for another NOAB as I am so close in starting articling for Chartered Accountancy. I intend completing law studies after that. If I do not get on this NOAB and if I am on but not selected I am definitely having my file closed. Thats the frustration nothing against the system or people at RC or NOAB. Everyone I have interacted even over phone are so awesome people. My file manager is also an awesome person that she has kept me informed on all updates until now on timely basis. I am sure she will update me when she hears back but day by day my frustration is increasing.

guysletsdoit said:
My frustrations are :

1. Why are they making me wait until last moment. Now we all know NOAB is not a gaurantee to a job in navy. So in mean time we are all working other jobs and in recessive market when its employer market right now, noone will want to jinx the current job. It becomes so difficult to get days off. If we are told at least a month in advance it is so comfortable to get things in place.

It's the nature of the beast. I'm in the same boat. I work full time. If I get selected I'll have to give short notice and it will be a week without pay. The latter stresses me more than anything. You could always proactively advise your employer that you might need to take the time off but are not sure yet.

guysletsdoit said:
2. Secondly there are a few people who already know that they are not ON the NOAB. Well I am sure they are not the ones from last NOAB spill pver. Thats why I was asking about the systems getting updated and connections of RC

I only seen one person post that they were not on it. Odds are, they're not merit listed.

guysletsdoit said:
3. I do not have the patience any more to wait for another NOAB as I am so close in starting articling for Chartered Accountancy. I intend completing law studies after that. If I do not get on this NOAB and if I am on but not selected I am definitely having my file closed. Thats the frustration nothing against the system or people at RC or NOAB. Everyone I have interacted even over phone are so awesome people. My file manager is also an awesome person that she has kept me informed on all updates until now on timely basis. I am sure she will update me when she hears back but day by day my frustration is increasing.
We live in a free society. That's your choice to make. You mentioned in an earlier post that "Unofficially I head I am on the board but not officially form RC." If that is the case, what's the problem? Where did you hear unofficially?

Regardless, as previously stated: If you're this jumpy about the NOAB selection, you're in for a bumpy ride in a Naval career. Maybe you'd enjoy bean cou chartered accountancy more.

CDN Aviator said:

Agreed.

It's frustrating to wait, yes. However, your attitude as anyone can read from these posts is petulant and irritating to say the least.

I'm likely not going to be there.

My CFRC just told me this mornng selections were made on the 10th, and I was merit listed just after  that.  I was told I am competitive (I really wish I knew exactly what this meant), but too late.  So unless someone else cancels it looks like I won't be seeing any of you there.  :(

This is a pretty tough pill to swallow, especially because I'm not working right now but probably need to get a job if this is going to stretch on for a few more months without any resolution.  And it's going to most likely be a crappy job because most aren't going to hire someone for only a few months.  I'm trying to stay positive though; I scored perfect on the CFAT, had a great interview, passed my medical, so I've done all I can.  Now all I can do is start getting into the best shape I can be in physically and relax mentally.

That said, if any of you want to forfeit your spot to me let me know.  ;D

Back