• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whats a good buy and whats a waste?

The best gift to send from Afghanistan is  home rugs or such embroidery items. as Persian and other forms are very cheaply available there and you can get various variety also.

Between my wife and I we did three tours there, and bought a boatload of stuff.
She bought the carpet, but it took her 5 months to do so.  4 months getting to know a specific dealer, and then a month to haggle the price out.  She loves to haggle, so I think the game of it all was more important than saving an extra 50$ on the carpet. 

We probably bought around 100 Pashminas in all.  We might have 20 or so left. 

A bunch of small cheap stone/marble carvings, a couple of the chess sets, some vases
A bunch of cheap gaudy jewelry and a pair of 'jingle dresses' for my daughters. 
4 AK-type bayonets and a bag of old medals
Quite a bit of wood - slinky bowls, knotted wood stands, other animal carvings
A pair of matching 'Polex' watches (lasted almost 2 months before they died, I was actually impressed by that)
About 250 DVD's - that was in Kabul 05  The Kandahar DVD quality control was horrible, stopped buying them there pretty quick as those didn't work.
Most of the stuff was for family gifts, especially the pashminas and slinky bowls.

Then of course, there's the stuff bought at the gold soukh in Dubai. 

Back