• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

what is the tractor ( semi truck) called used to haul the tanks

FormerHorseGuard

Reaction score
As I drive back and forthe from Renfrew to Ottawa everyday I see some very heavy duty  trucks with a flat bed hauling a very  heavy  looking tractor in some sort of light brown or desert camo being hauled west bound towards Petawawa. I googled looking for pics but not sure what  to look for.  So what  truck or tractor is being used by Canada to haul heavy  loads including tanks?

Thanks in advance

We use HETTs overseas to move tanks/armoured vehicles, but in Canada I've had a Bison on just a standard flatbed trailer, or a CFR'd beavertail trailer.

Does it look like this?

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/equipment-equipement/item-eng.asp?product=84

The picture does not show the "tractor" version.

it was not the hlvw, i know those when i see them. It was the second link, they  look very large and very  cool.  I see them being trailered westward, guessing Petawawa maybe more westward than Petawawa. would enjoy  a peek inside the cab, looks very powerful and very  army  like.

Guess they  will be used to pull the new tanks into battle and out to the training areas?

FormerHorseGuard said:
Guess they  will be used to pull the new tanks into battle and out to the training areas?

Tanks normally pull themselves into battle.... wouldn't be a maneuver army if they couldn't. They use the trailers to move "field vehicles" over highways or long distances to prevent wear and tear. Can you imagine a Leo 2A5 rolling down the 417? I'm sure its a good way to beat traffic though.

Prevent wear and tear to what? The tanks or the roads?  ;D

PuckChaser is right - the DOLLs are used to transport vehicles when the unit they are going to/coming from isn't realistically able to do that. We also use them to recover downed vehicles.

We also use them to move other equipment and supplies - I've actually seen one of those with two MOBs on it...and nothing else.

CanadianTire said:
Prevent wear and tear to what? The tanks or the roads?  ;D

Both.  It cuts down on the wear and tear to the tank, and the wear and tear to the roads.

One should also be conscious of the fact that both the tank and transporter have different Bridge Classes.  There may be instances where the tank transporter can not cross a bridge, even without a load, while the tank can, due to the differences each presents with respect to ground pressure.  In some cases a heavier tank can cross a bridge that a lighter truck can not.

In the end, it is much faster to move tanks and heavy equipment over long distances by transporter than to drive them.

They also have a some heavy spec Western Star trucks, Not sure what they are designated in the CF, but the ones I seen were 6x6 models with up armour kits on them. They were Canadian trucks.

Western Star 6x6 are called Heavy Engineer Support Vehicle (HESV).  Rated for 15 tons. With attachments they can push snow, be used as a sander, a dump truck or pallet loading system. Good vehicle overall, found at CERs. Driven by Cbt Engineers and MSE Ops.

HESV

0203warrior1.jpg

The Spec Sheet
1996 Western Star 4866S 15-Tonne 6x6 HESV
Wheelbase: 248"
Tare Weight: 33,860 lb
GVW: 66,900 lb
Engine: Caterpillar C12 410-hp, 1450 lb-ft torque @ 1,300 rpm
Transmission: Allison Automatic HD5460P 5-speed
Transfer case: Fabco TC-270 pneumatic 2-speed
Front axle: Rockwell (Meritor) 21,000-lb RF-21-160
Rear axle: Rockwell (Meritor) 29,000-lb MP-29-160