• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"What if??" A thread for people who like to speculate

Sadly the Daily Mail's speculation is grounded in reality:

1. Financial crises tend to produce populist movements offering easy answers to complex problems - both the Tea Party and the "Occupy ____" movement qualify;

2. Populist movements have a sad history of turning violent and then totalitarian - the Italian Fascists started as a populist movement;

3. Blaming the "other guy," as the Daily Mail suggests Sarkozy will blame Britain, is also common politics;

4. Russia cannot be trusted;

5. Greece, Spain, Portugal and Italy are all likely to see troops on the streets as a matter of routine and the violence and unrest will spread across Europe; and

6. America might turn isolationist.

The only thing missing is that our Angie is sitting in her Kanzleramt in a dark chamber laughing madly as her little puppet Sarko conquers the world for us. >:D

SCNR,
ironduke57

ironduke57 said:
The only thing missing is that our Angie is sitting in her Kanzleramt in a dark chamber laughing madly as her little puppet Sarko conquers the world for us. >:D

SCNR,
ironduke57
That's it.  I think it's time to mobilise.  But this time, I think you Germans ought to be on the correct side: fight with England, but this time, against France ;)

>:D

Franco-Prussian wars are, generally, good things ... for the gene pool, if nothing else.

E.R. Campbell said:
Franco-Prussian wars are, generally, good things ... for the gene pool, if nothing else.
Sometimes we're with the Germans, sometimes with the French.  It's all good :)

Way back when, I was nearly drummed out of university for an essay that suggested that the First World War had been a major foreign policy blunder and that every shell fired and every life lost was a waste that cost Britain everything. The professor didn't so much argue with my analysis and conclusions as he did with the very brief summary we were required to put on the cover page. I forget what it said, but it implied, to him, that the men who fought and died had, somehow, wasted themselves. His father or favourite uncle, maybe both, had been killed in the 'Great War.' Anyway, after a dressing down he gave me a quite good mark (maybe I'm looking back through rose coloured glasses) and suggested that I put more effort into the summary and less into being a smart-ass. It was good advice.

Decades on I remain convinced of the validity of my argument: the Entente Cordiale (1904) was the biggest foreign policy blunder in 2,000 years of British history - and that includes Boadicea being beastly to the Romans and Harold Godwinson screwing over the Duke of Normandy. Britain didn't have a side in Franco-Prussian wars, which was all that 1914 would have been but for the British guarantee. The only 'side' Britain should have taken was to sell whatever to both sides. But ...

E.R. Campbell said:
6. America might turn isolationist.

That is the biggest issue I have with this article. I can't see the USA completely dropping the special relationship they have with Britain or becoming so isolationist in the next six years that they would not intervene, especially in a war of conquest against the UK.

E.R. Campbell said:
Way back when, I was nearly drummed out of university for an essay that suggested that the First World War had been a major foreign policy blunder and that every shell fired and every life lost was a waste that cost Britain everything. The professor didn't so much argue with my analysis and conclusions as he did with the very brief summary we were required to put on the cover page. I forget what it said, but it implied, to him, that the men who fought and died had, somehow, wasted themselves. His father or favourite uncle, maybe both, had been killed in the 'Great War.' Anyway, after a dressing down he gave me a quite good mark (maybe I'm looking back through rose coloured glasses) and suggested that I put more effort into the summary and less into being a smart-ass. It was good advice.

Decades on I remain convinced of the validity of my argument: the Entente Cordiale (1904) was the biggest foreign policy blunder in 2,000 years of British history - and that includes Boadicea being beastly to the Romans and Harold Godwinson screwing over the Duke of Normandy. Britain didn't have a side in Franco-Prussian wars, which was all that 1914 would have been but for the British guarantee. The only 'side' Britain should have taken was to sell whatever to both sides. But ...

459px-Germany_GB_France.gif
A cartoon on the Entente Cordiale from the German perspective, with John Bull stalking off with the harlot Marianne, turning his back on the Kaiser. The tip of the scabbard of a cavalry sabre protrudes from beneath Germany's army overcoat, implying a potential resort to force.

It all came down to that "scrap of paper" being the official pre-text for British involvement in the war, not so much out of interest to keep Belgium neutral, but more to keep German ships out of Belgian ports.  Ironically, if Belgium is in NATO today, then is the treaty no longer in effect?

Not the case: it is very much in effect.

(Edited to resize image)

Given the economic crisis gripping the United States, it is quite possible in this timeline that whatever administration is in power will choose to conserve its resources and watch. Given the rebuff the Obama administration has given the UK and other traditional allies, they might not even be looking to America for help.

If anything, the United States will be in "1941" mode, rapidly mobilizing its resources for a potential military challenges both from Europe/Russia and China, and probably still with a foot in the Middle East as well. This provides a potential strategic response; a rapid pullout of the Middle East to encourage destabilization and trigger wars between the Shia and Sunnis, Arabs and Persians etc. The United States is becoming far more energy self sufficient with new technologies in gas and oil production today, so will be in a better position to weather the oil shocks that disruption of Middle Eastern production will have on her rivals in this future.

One other thing which does not seem to be taken into account in this scenario is the informal alliance that has been set up by the New European nations  (led by Poland), which might decide to mobilize against the EU and Russia. While maybe not a military threat to either side, they can make things tough for either party or both (and if they are clever they may find a way to play off Russia against the EU...)

Following in the footsteps of TV (who has still left us hanging with his WWII Alt history epic, BTW), here is the opening of a "future history" starting with the post upthread. The title will come clear in a later installment:

World War Seven

Prologue (http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/64004/post-1086812.html#msg1086812)

Chapter 1

The President glanced out the window as the Cabinet assembled.  Outside a pair of Secret Service agents, bulked out in black combat uniforms, battle gear and assault rifles walked across the lawn with a guard dog. They faded into the shadows of the bushes in the grey light of the rainy day, a sight that fitted his mood. It was going to be a long day.

“Sir, the Cabinet is ready for you,” the Chief of Staff said softly.

The President turned around and walked into the meeting room. The assembled members stood around the table, while their aides scrambled to stand across the back of the narrow room. The President nodded and made a gesture to seat everyone as he took his seat at the head of the table.

“We have a long day ahead of us, so lets get started with the domestic issues. What is the latest on the Social Security riots in California?”

The Director Homeland Security looked embarrassed as he started. Behind him, the briefing screen came to life, cued to his voice.

“I’m afraid it isn’t good, Mr. President. The situation has devolved into a low-grade civil war after the official announcement of the financial collapse of CalPERS, and the State Police, various local agencies and the prison guards leaving their jobs as a result. There is some gruesome video making the rounds today on the Internet as a so-called “Gadsden Militia” stormed the UC Berkley campus and lynched several of the faculty. Another Gadsden Militia outfit apparently lost a gun battle in Beverly Hills, the Hollywood types have imported a pretty sizable mercenary army under the guise of security contractors, an irony I’m sure is lost on most of them.

Gangs are pretty much in control of most of LA and several cities in Southern California, but the California National Guard has been of no use, with large numbers of them deserting to one side or the other and the rest refusing to venture beyond secure perimeters. The Army and Marine units in place are calling the Division “The California Crybabies”, which isn’t helping the situation at all.”

The President snorted in annoyance.

“California Crybabies indeed. Are there any forces that can bolster what we already have to restore some sort of order?”

The Secretary of Defense glanced at her SmartPad.

“I believe elements of the 3rd Infantry Division are currently finishing training, and can be dispatched in a matter of days”.

“How about the rest of the Division? We’re talking about one of the biggest states in the Union here, the security of the west coast and billions of dollars in critical infrastructure and property.”

The Secretary whispered a question to the SmartPad, and nodded at the response from the machine.

“The readiness report for the division says they can send advance elements starting 24 hours after the order to deploy, with the bulk of the division arriving in 48 hours. The divisional tail will be on the ground in 72 hours and the entire division will be able to commence operations at that point in time. I’m assuming they will replace the 25th “Sunshine” Division, insert at the north end of the Central Valley and start to work their way down as per the previous plan.”

The President nodded.

“Tell the Joint Chief’s to look at other options as well for the evening briefing, but we can go with this for now.”

The remaining brief by the Director of Homeland Security was equally dismal; “Social Security” riots in New York, Illinois, Michigan, and most of the Eastern seaboard consuming virtually all the police and emergency response resources in the embattled communities. Further outbreaks of violence marked the boundaries of many states, as groups as varied as State Troopers and local “militias” turned back people attempting to flee the disorder.  There was little that could be done for the moment but send relief supplies to the refugees and orders to the authorities to disband or displace the “militias”. The President turned down the idea of sending Federal troops to more riots, and no one was eager to test other National Guard units against the spreading disorder.

“If the State Governors want to activate their National Guards to clear out the militias and carry out relief operations, I won’t interfere. California is a pretty clear indication that we can’t count on Federalizing the National Guard for this sort of emergency.

“Now tell me some good news,” he demanded.

The Secretary of the Interior stood up, and her briefing screen lit up behind her. She was a carry over from the previous administration, and the President reflected that she had once been a political celebrity of sorts. She had served the last administration well, and the President had come to rely on her “can do” spirit and political experience.

“We do have good news from this department that should start taking pressure off the coasts in the medium term. Oil production continues to increase, offsetting the effects of the international embargo. The ongoing high prices of oil, combined with the withdrawal of many regulatory roadblocks has unleashed a wave of new industrialization in the Midwest, everything from solar collector balloons up in the stratosphere to an explosion of biodiesel, ethanol and methanol production to take up the slack. As you know, these plants are mostly big distilleries, so employers can use mostly low skilled labor to build. This is causing the unemployment problem to ease, and as a side effect is soaking up a lot of the leftover cash from previous stimulus packages, lowering inflation as well. I’m sure the Secretary of State will have more, but the world price of oil is unraveling as our demands for imports decreases, and putting the folks who set up the embargo in a pretty pickle as their income collapses.

The Chinese have also gotten a hard smack in the market. They started to manipulate the supply of the rare earth minerals needed for modern electronics back in 2008, mostly by cutting the supply. Well I can announce that American companies have been working hard since 2008 to rectify the situation, reopening several old mines in the continental US to provide a small but secure supply. The deep ocean dredges off Hawaii have finally gone into production, filling our domestic supply needs and collapsing the Chinese positions in the commodities markets. They have worked hard not to get burned as we ramped up, but there is only so much you can do if you are trying to be the monopoly supplier.”

“Thank you. At least we have some pockets of good news to pass out later today. I’m sure you all know about the three congressional delegations I’m seeing after lunch”.

The assembled Cabinet members and their staffs chuckled in amusement, but the President could see some uncomfortable faces as well. With the economic collapse had come a splintering of the American political system, and a constellation of new parties now vied for control of the Congress, while the President and Cabinet represented holdovers from the old system. There was a saying about age and experience, the President reflected.

“Anyway, back to business. We need to look at this European crisis. I have viewed the backgrounders” making a quick wave to his SmartPad “And I can’t say I like what I am seeing. Our oldest ally humiliated without us being able to do anything, France, Germany and Russia in the grip of some sort of Empire building frenzy and China nipping at our heels in the Pacific. The Islamists have built themselves a ramshackle empire as well, and everyone seems to be getting a bit big for their britches.

I have several concerns.

First, how do these developments directly threaten the welfare and safety of the United States?

Second, if these people start getting into conflicts with each other, and they will, what is the impact on the United States going to be?

Thirdly, what steps can we actively take to do something about this to make things work in our favor? I know there are lots of long term advantages we have, like our positive demographics against their negative growth, but I hardly think the voters are going to sit quietly until the 2030’s or whatever waiting for these new Napoleons to run out of people. I’d much rather set the direction now, rather than pick up the pieces later.”

The Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of State looked at each other. With a nod, the secretary of Defense gave the floor to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State was a small man with quick gestures, which made the President think of a bird. The briefing screen activating and backlighting the Secretary with a large map of the world heightened the illusion.

“The situation in Europe is driven by several overlapping factors. As you are aware, the primary issue is the Franco-German core of the EU moving aggressively to secure their creditors, primarily banks and government institutions, against crippling losses from the default of sovereign debtors in Southern Europe. In 2011, the crisis in Greece alone threatened to drain the entire 450 billion Euro fund established to deal with defaulting nations, and Greece was hardly the largest of the potential defaulters. The alternative 60% “haircut” that Greek bondholders were going to take would have wiped out many French banks, and German taxpayers were not going to pony up the money it would take to bail out Greece, much less the other PIIG nations.

The current response of sending military units to quell disorder is really the beginning of what amounts to economic colonization of these nations. The French and Germans intend to impose their own tax structure on Southern Europe in order to ensure payment of the sovereign debt and prevent the economic collapse of their own institutions. Once the precedent had been set in Greece, it became easy to extend the idea to the remainder of the EU nations, and Europe in general. The French have been chafing under the limitations of the original EU structure, and have been seething about the rejection of their “European Constitution” and the ability of various sub groups of EU nations like the UK or the Eastern European nations to defy or obstruct French leadership and direction of the EU project. This flexing of military muscle is payback.

The Russians are playing the straight Empire game once again to shore up their own shaky internal political and economic situation. Blaming external powers and engaging in short, low cost wars is usually a good way of getting people’s minds off their troubles at home, and distracts then from the looting that is going on right outside their own doorsteps by their own elites. The Russians can put the squeeze on the EU through the control of the natural gas supply, but are happy to put real military pressure on Eastern Europe in order to bring them back into what they see as the natural sphere of influence, and provide a glacis in case Europe turns hostile. The French and Germans are probably not thinking that far ahead, but like the idea that the Eastern European nations will fall in line with them in order to gain protection against Russia. In return, I’m sure they will be treated as captive markets, once again to keep the economies of the French and German heartland going.

As for direct impact on the United States, the EU and Russia have already been working on excluding the United States from their markets, although there is a great deal of both formal and informal resistance from people and nations within the EU desiring our advanced export products. This is slowing down our economic recovery efforts, as our export markets become less diversified. Of more direct impact is the potential loss of US assets in the UK if the French invade. There are many bases and military and intelligence facilities, some dating back to the Second World War, that will be at risk. There are also the military and diplomatic personnel as well as American civilians who are either living or working in the UK at the present time, who may become victims or hostages to the invaders.

We must also consider that the British Government also holds a great deal of sensitive information in their files based on reciprocal agreements and information sharing going back decades, some of which could be quite compromising and most which will probably be released in an attempt to embarrass the United States or damage our reputation with various target audiences and third party nations.”

“Well, what are we going to do about this?” the President demanded angrily

The Secretary of Defense took over from the Secretary of State, smoothly replacing the graphics from the previous screen with her own.

“There are many options to choose from Mr. President, depending on the level of response and how open we want to be.

The short term response which the Joint Chiefs of Staff have suggested is to send the 82nd Airborne Division to England in order to garrison American assets and display our resolve and assert our sovereignty. Even if there is a full-scale invasion, the French may well hesitate to directly attack American bases. This will also provide a fallback position for British units and civilians to escape from the French.

At the same time, an air and sea bridge will be established to evacuate American civilians from the UK, which also allows us to have Air Force and Naval assets in place to monitor the situation, and potentially as a springboard for future actions. This will be fairly transparent to the EU and the Russians, but they will have to extend themselves in order to observe our forces and provide options of their own, which will complicate their game plan and make them move more slowly.”

The President nodded.

“Then what?”

“Sir, the Joint Chiefs are war gaming many options right now, but the consensus is emerging that our best option may lie in Eastern Europe”.

The President nodded, but remained silent.

“As you heard the Secretary of State say earlier, Eastern Europe is going to be a contested area between the EU and Russia. The people of these nations will resent being placed back under the Russian yoke, and equally being forced into servitude for the benefit of the EU’s banking institutions. They tasted freedom and opportunity starting in the 1990’s, and will be pretty eager to seize opportunities to keep clear of both sides.

The broad outline of the plan is to use a combination of messaging, cyberwar and some limited direct actions by Special forces and Special Operating Forces to bring the situation in Eastern Europe to a rapid boil, force the EU and Russians to commit disproportionate resources to the area and then cripple their ability to continue military, economic or political actions in the region. We need to calibrate our activities in order to prevent or minimize the possibility of a military clash between the Russians and the EU, since escalation would have negative consequences to the Eastern Europeans, the British and potentially the United States as well.”

While still working on Chapter one, I come across this: looks like WW7 in Europe is going to be a popular topic for the next few years:

http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2011/11/09/if/?print=1

If

Posted By Richard Fernandez On November 9, 2011 @ 10:45 pm In Uncategorized | 114 Comments

It began unexpectedly. Ramon was standing behind a German at an airport cash machine for about five minutes before he realized something was wrong. The man, who had been conversing normally with someone over his cell phone in a jaunty German just a few minutes before was having trouble with his cash cards. He was inserting cards one after the other at the cashpoint. At first he had punched in his PIN with the practiced hand of someone who did it routinely but when the machine rejected his card he retried the password more carefully.

It didn't work. In the intervening minutes the German tried every piece of plastic in his wallet with varying combinations of passwords without result. The man left the line and went over to another cash machine. Ramon stepped up to the ATM and inserted his card. It worked perfectly. He checked his balance and saw the usual pitifully small balance correctly displayed and was about to withdraw $50 when he became aware of a growing buzz in the airport concourse. It came from a number of individuals at the other cash machines. They too were having trouble withdrawing money. On an impulse Ramon cleared the $50 amount from the screen and entered his cash limit: $1,000 and pressed OK.

The cash machine whirred and 20 $50 bills were pushed out between the rollers of the ATM. Ramon took the money and stepped away from the device to place the bills in his wallet. The next man in line behind him had just inserted his debit card when the ATM's display turned yellow and displayed the following message. This machine is unavailable. For inquiries call 1-800-715-4345. He glanced over to the ATM queue that the German had joined. Its display too had gone yellow. The murmur in the concourse grew louder and some of those in line were leaving it to make cell phone calls in quieter alcoves.

“Excuse me sir,” a man in a dark tailored suit said to Ramon, “but can you direct me to the office of … and he mentioned a credit card company … I’m having trouble with my cards and I don’t have any cash on me at all.”

Ramon gestured in the direction of where he thought it might be and briefly glanced at the well-dressed middle aged man walk off pulling his baggage trolley. A vague suspicion that had been growing in his mind took approximate shape. Acting on the hunch, he took out his phone and opened a browser on it to http://www.telegraph.co.uk/, a site that he knew to be following the dramatic economic events in Europe closely.

There was nothing except the routine story of the deepening Eurozone debt crisis. Using his thumb to push up the page on the touchscreen display he noticed an item two down in that day’s rolling, live coverage of events: “Unconfirmed reports of dozens of major companies emptying their accounts at …” and it gave a list of banks. And then he knew.

In the coming weeks everyone would remember where he was at that precise moment, at 08:47 Australian Eastern Standard Time reckoned as 16:47 Eastern Standard Time the previous day in New York. Most people in America were at work. Most people in Europe were asleep. But everyone would remember where they were the way earlier generations recalled the assassination of JFK and people an increasingly long time ago heard that two airliners had crashed into the World Trade Center in Manhattan.

From this fictional beginning we can imagine a series of events unfolding across five continents. There is China without any real food or real energy resources coping with the problem of growing fast enough to keep down internal unrest. We have the North Korea's population moving with Biblical implacability across the border to the North and pushing, despite fearful losses to landmines, in desperate hungry numbers across the DMZ toward the lights of Seoul. There is a Europe, facing hunger for the first time in 60 years, convulsed with civil unrest as its political fabric, so long divided between the left and the not-so-left is torn, driven by desperation to rally around the banners of creeds which had been forgotten for decades.

The Arab Spring had long since turned into regional chaos. Faced with a declining demand for oil, the House of Saud had collapsed and was saved from occupation only by the circumstance that every other country in the region was in turmoil. In all the Gulf States hundreds of thousands of people, from Western expatriates to impoverished contract workers were waiting at airports and seaports for a way out.

There is America with every seeming advantage paralyzed by a debate over whether to allow drilling for oil on the continental United States.

And our hero Ramon Delgato [1] gets bundled into a car by one person he never wanted to hear from again, Bill Greer, to learn that Pakistani nuclear components have gone missing, transported according to the best available intelligence to the one place Ramon knows best. Where seven groups of Pakistanis unknown to each other might meet on neutral ground; to the place where the September 11 plot had first been hatched. That place [2]. And Greer was wondering whether someone — someone who knew the ground — a person who had America's best interests honestly at heart, might be of assistance, or whether he preferred to spend the next six months in Guantanamo prison, which was of course officially closed, because no word of the offer must ever leak out. And so it begins.

I would write the book if I could, had I either the time or the talent. But consider that in a worldwide crisis the dramatic scenario above — without the literary embellishments — might not be too far from the truth. It would be a world where America could blunder its way into a new century of dominance while Europe commits economic suicide and the Middle East tears itself apart. That is, if the men in Washington can keep the world itself from going up in smoke.

So with that introduction, this open thread is inaugurated. What happens if the EU implodes?

Storming the Castle at Amazon Kindle for $3.99 [3]
No Way In at Amazon Kindle $3.99, print $9.99 [1]
Tip Jar or Subscribe for $5 [4]

Article printed from Belmont Club: http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez

URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2011/11/09/if/

URLs in this post:

[1] Ramon Delgato: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1453892818/wwwfallbackbe-20

[2] That place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bojinka_plot

[3] Storming the Castle at Amazon Kindle for $3.99: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005MH19XI/wwwfallbackbe-20

[4] Tip Jar or Subscribe for $5: http://wretchard.com/tipjar.html

For those of you wondering about which WW this is:

WWI:  the Seven Years War. First war fought with campaigns across the globe
WWII:  Napoleonic Wars
WWIII: The Great War 1914-1918
WWIV: "Second World War" 1939-45 (although it could be argued the war actually began earlier as several regional wars coalesced)
WWV:  The "Cold War" between the USSR and the United States
WWVI: GWOT- Radical Islam vs the West. (current war)

World War Seven (cont)

“So the general idea is to get the EU and Russians to face off in Eastern Europe, taking their attention away from the UK?”

“That is the thrust of this plan, Mr. President,” the Secretary of Defense answered with assurance.

“We also had the same concerns that you expressed about the situation spiraling out of control. I believe there are several factors that limit the ability of the conflict to spread out of control.

Starting with Russia, her internal situation is a shambles right now. Decades of Communist rule left the nation with a degraded environment and a totally malformed economic base, as development was forced into the distorted straight jackets of their five-year plans. The transition to democracy and market economies never really happened, the oligarchies that were established looted what was left, and the new Russian Empire is simply trying to expand to pillage the nations of the former Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact, particularly the nations which seized the opportunities to become wealthy after the fall of the wall.

Their ability to sustain long term operations is therefore in doubt due to the generally poor state of Russian infrastructure and the uncertain logistical chain. This will be compounded by the fact that Russia is actually pressed on three sides, with the Islamists on their south and the Chinese to their east. Russia cannot afford to commit too much of her strength to Europe in case that invites the other powers to take advantage of her uncovered flanks. The demographic crash that affects Russia is probably more advanced than the EU or China, so they potentially have less manpower to carry out the subjugation of Eastern Europe while still guarding their borders and manning the factory floors.

The situation in the EU is somewhat different. The nations of Europe have been generally disarmed by tacit agreement for over 60 years, relying on the United States to carry the burden of their defense, so most of the military forces of the EU are rather small. The economic crisis has been very prolonged in Europe due to the massive amount of debt and the reluctance of all the EU nations to actively deleverage. Their ability to carry out long-term actions is also in doubt, as they simply don’t have the capital to sustain themselves. The economic colonization may allow France and Germany to cover over some of the structural defects for a period of time, but if they have to extract a lot of tribute from the southern European nations in a hurry, especially to sustain military operations, that will generate a lot of resentment, and require a great deal of the EU’s military power to be diverted from the UK and Eastern Europe to maintain order.

Europe also still has large unassimilated Muslim populations, which they view with a great deal of suspicion and fear. The Islamic block also threatens Europe from the south with large populations of poor people who can be unleashed as economic migrants to overwhelm the EU social safety net or simply as cannon fodder in any military confrontations, as well as wielding the energy weapon in the form of access to oil.

Finally, like Russia, Europe is facing a demographic decline, although not as severe as the Russian one. They face two real enemies in the form of Russia and the Islamic Block, as well as a third front from our ability to project force from the sea, which will stretch their resources to the utmost.”

While the Secretary of Defense paused to take some water, the President looked at the map of Europe on the display.

“What about China and the Islamic Block? How will they figure into this? There are already a lot of pieces on the board now, and it seems too easy for things to get out of hand.”

“Yes, sir, it does. The Islamic Block is fairly predatory, and not very predictable. Nevertheless, we believe that there are factors which mitigate the risk, as well as some steps we can take to aid the process.”

The map reshaped to follow her briefing, centering on Asia.

“First off, the Block is not anywhere as well integrated as the EU or Russia. There are pockets of wealth and industry, but also areas of extreme poverty and underdevelopment. There are multiple competing sects of Islam that have made a shotgun marriage of convenience to strike the “Infidels”, but who generally exist in mutual loathing of each other as apostates against their “true” version of Islam.

While they are demographically sound, they have very limited ability to project power, or even move industrial scales of manpower, raw material and finished products around their region. Masses of manpower in Central Asia or the African east coast are really only useful to maintain their hold on the region, rather than to strike at external enemies. The economic potential of the Block is also strangled by the essentially feudal nature of their societies, which leaves large amounts of human resources wasted as peasant farmers or locked away since women are almost universally excluded from education, the economy, politics or the military. Really the only reason they are able to do as well as they have is their geographic reach from Africa, the Middle East and across Asia, encompassing over a billion people. Their economy is suffering with the unexpected collapse of the price of oil, negatively affecting the incomes of many of the nations in the Block, and causing social stress as subsidies for food and other essentials is cut. The limited ability to move resources around the Block also provides the United States with a series of choke points that can be squeezed or throttled altogether to degrade their economies and war making potential at the time and place of our own choosing.

Indonesia is aligned with the Islamic block, although a great deal of the population is chafing under the strict Sharia laws the revolutionaries brought in. The nation is rich in manpower and natural resources, as well as sitting astride major sea routes in and out of the Indian Ocean, so you can be assured the Islamists won’t be loosening their grip there. They see it as their resource treasure box, and aren’t shy to use conscription and coercion to get at the men and materials they want. The Philippines suffered much the same fate, and both those places have enough easily available resources that even with low efficiency and restive populations they can still be valuable additions to support the Imperial ambitions of their Islamist masters.

China is another matter altogether. China is a near peer competitor with a large and modern military force and an advanced economy. She sees herself as the central hegemonic power in the world, with the rest of us as tributaries, and the historical period from1800 to the end of the 20th century as a sort of aberration to be corrected. The Chinese have been working diligently since at least the 1980’s to reclaim their rightful place in the world and put the rest of us, particularly Americans, in our place. You can be sure that the Chinese are offering subtle support and maybe even funding to keep the European crisis going, and are probably hoping to have us engaged there in order to limit our ability to act elsewhere. If we were to suffer a defeat or humiliation in Europe, they certainly would be pleased as well.

The economic crisis has put the Imperial project in a great deal of jeopardy, however. Internal stresses over the unequal distribution of wealth between the coastal region and the interior have been causing large and growing internal unrest. The collapse of the Chinese economic bubble has thrown tens of millions of people out of work and nullified the value of billions of dollars of assets. Military modernization programs have been suspended in order to free resources to deal with the economy, and many military units are now employed full time to quell rioting.

Geographic factors hamper China as well. She is hemmed in by the Himalayan Mountains to the west, and the routes to the oceans are all dominated by the island archipelagos of Indonesia in the south and by our allies Taiwan and Japan in the east, as well as the Korean peninsula to the north, which limits the ability of the Chinese to carry out force projection. The Islamic Block pressing against her western borders hems in China, and Russia maintains a large force in Siberia to prevent China from having easy access to the resources there. Finally, like Russia and the EU, the Chinese are undergoing a demographic dislocation from the “one child” policy. This causes social stresses in Chinese society as family structures are breaking down and large masses of men are unable to find wives or even female companionship, much less support during times of unemployment. As well, the large and growing Islamic population in the western regions of China is demanding autonomy from Chinese rule, and looking to the Islamic Block for support, which is drawing a lot of attention away from the Imperial project and towards stabilizing and securing her internal borders. In the longer term, the Chinese will also suffer a demographic decline, but this won’t be a factor in the time frame we are talking about.”

The President thought for a moment.

“So you’re saying these nations all have their hands full of their own problems, and won’t have the energy or resources to make more than a minor disturbance to the plan?”

“Not at all sir. We understand that there are a great many variables beyond our control, and that war is always the domain of chance events. However, the planners in the Pentagon are reasonably confident that the various factors mentioned here will limit the responses these players can make, and rational considerations of self preservation will keep any of these powers from overextending themselves, even if only to keep their borders secure from the others.”

“I’m not convinced” the President replied. “Virtually every nation or group you mentioned is suffering from various problems, but you people haven’t considered their means of gaining resolution to these problems. If Europe sees economic colonization as the answer to their problems, why would they stop in Southern or Eastern Europe? The Germans had far fewer resources in either World War, but that didn’t stop them from trying to expand far beyond the limits you have outlined to create an economic plantation for themselves. The Russians, the Islamists and the Chinese all have a burning vision of what they want the world to look like, and all these visions offer them positions of power and prestige in the global order, a powerful spur to action once the masks come off.

I want the planners to carefully consider scenarios where things go out of control. Most of what we are seeing seems to be motivated by greed or pride, and people in the grip of these emotions are not easily swayed by appeals to reason. When things start going wrong, then the people will be in the grip of fear, and people looking for an escape may trample any rational response.

While I have no doubt the staff have carefully crafted this plan, my overriding concern must be to the American people and the safety of the nation. We have spent a long five years trying to rebuild from the economic crisis, and it will take decades to rebuild and correct all the mistakes. A general war, or even a large scale regional conflict involving the United States will set back the recovery, and the threat of nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction simply raises the risks and the stakes far to high to take risks lightly.

Our tasks are fairly clear.

I want the State Department to extend their diplomatic efforts to shore up and strengthen our alliances and prepare them for the coming conflicts. Friends will make a huge difference and maybe give us options we haven’t considered yet.

The Defense Department will continue to refine the plan, both to reduce the risks as much as possible as well as to provide a wide series of options in case things don’t go as planned. I will authorize the insertion of the 82nd Airborne Division to England to secure our bases, and the air and sea bridge to evacuate US citizens from the UK at the earliest opportunity, but no actions in the European mainland until the plan has been worked out.

Commerce and Treasury, we need to have the economy firing on all cylinders. Identify roadblocks to recovery, particularly outdated regulations and policies. This also has to be calibrated to prevent inflation or credit bubbles. We also need to ensure that we will be able to move to a war footing if needed.

Interior, we will need a cataloguing of our natural resource base and the ability to access land and materials if needed. Like Commerce and Treasury, your department will have to review its operations to remove regulatory and policy obstructions to development. Unlike most of the world, the United States is blessed with a rich and diversified resource base to feed our industrial plant, an advantage I’d like to make full use of.

Ladies and gentleman, I thank you for your time and attention, and will let you carry on with your tasks. I look forward to seeing you all again next week, and hearing your progress on these issues.”

With that, the President stood while the Cabinet and the assembled aids scrambled to their feet. Wishing everyone a “good morning”, the President and his Chief of Staff left the room.

“That was putting us on a war footing” the Chief of Staff said bluntly

“Indeed it was. We have far too many people out there wanting to dominate their portions of the world and take a swing at us, so I think we have to be ready. You remember your history, right?”

The Chief of Staff smiled. Before entering politics, he had been a full professor of American history and occasional host for various television shows. The President often used this as an inside joke, but today the mood was not light enough for that to be considered a joking matter.

“Of course, Mr. President. What period do you have in mind?”

“I’m thinking about the First World War, the one they called ‘The War to end all Wars’. It happened after a long period of peace and prosperity, and most people then thought it would be over very quickly. The major powers have been at peace for over 70 years now, with only regional wars between lesser powers and the occasional proxy battle between the superpowers during that time. Our staff doing the planning may be experienced and even battle hardened from our proxy wars during the last decade, but I sense they believe this conflict will be over by Christmas, and achievable at a very low cost.

As politicians we know how to whip up people’s emotions to gain support for the causes we believe in, and to move people to action. Politicians have known this for a long time, back to the days of Greece and Rome.” He hesitated.

“The Framers of the Constitution knew these things well” the Chief of staff put in. “Our Constitution and system of government is designed to limit the opportunities of demagogues to seize the popular will and create a dictatorship”.

“We have the Constitution, but most nations of the world do not; especially our opponents.” The President replied. “Even in our own history there have been many times the Constitution has been more observed in the breech than in practice. Woodrow Wilson basically imposed a Fascist government during the First World War. FDR ran pretty roughshod over the Constitution to implement the “New Deal”. I’m sure you are aware of other examples.

So that is the danger we face, getting lost and moving away from our principles during a time of war or crisis. I’m more worried about the other side, where there are few institutional barriers to direct rule and the temptation to use demagoguery to whip up the population into some sort of frenzy to make that last effort achieve victory or stave off defeat will be overwhelming. Once the EU or the Russians get to that point, then I think the situation will spiral out of control for the rest of us.

Can the United States take on the combined might of the world?"

Interesting, If the Brits would of lost in the Plains of Abraham. We would be speaking French and part of the USA.

As for Winnie the Poo-Warmonger, Ifs are not needed. Winnie would of never excepted peace with Hitler, since he argued vigorously
pre war that Germany should be attacked. I would love to bring Old British skeletons out of the closet, however not worth the irritation.

Chispa said:
Interesting, If the Brits would of lost in the Plains of Abraham. We would be speaking French and part of the USA.

As for Winnie the Poo-Warmonger, Ifs are not needed. Winnie would of never excepted peace with Hitler, since he argued vigorously
pre war that Germany should be attacked. I would love to bring Old British skeletons out of the closet, however not worth the irritation.

If Canada, such as it was in 1763, had become part of the USA then Canadians would not be speaking French.

E.R. Campbell said:
If Canada, such as it was in 1763, had become part of the USA then Canadians would not be speaking French.

Hi  I'm in Quebec, however I'm not French therefore giving the perspective of les Frances Ici. Bataille des Plaines d'Abraham was in 1759 part of the 7 year war.
Ok Quebec would have ties to the US and the Maritimes would be speaking English and be part of Britain. Remember what happened in the 1837-38 rebellion, when Les Frères Chasseurs, Patroite Leaders and English supporters who succeeded in evading the English army which they reorganised in the United States.

Now Ici in Quebec even though we became British, in this day and age "French is the Official language of Québec". As an English speaking person Ici, I'm treated like a 3rd class citizen, and don't get me started on the racist bull I have to endure from some Frances, Ont est oux Quebec and Ici ont parlé français. However not all since some  Français ont a defrent view and go out of their way to speak English.

Its funny when U hear a French indavedual speaking in English to Moi and I'm responding en Français.

Chispa said:
Hi  I'm in Quebec, however I'm not French therefore giving the perspective of les Frances Ici. Bataille des Plaines d'Abraham was in 1759 part of the 7 year war.
Ok Quebec would have ties to the US and the Maritimes would be speaking English and be part of Britain. Remember what happened in the 1837-38 rebellion, when Les Frères Chasseurs, Patroite Leaders and English supporters who succeeded in evading the English army which they reorganised in the United States.

Now Ici in Quebec even though we became British, in this day and age "French is the Official language of Québec". As an English speaking person Ici, I'm treated like a 3rd class citizen, and don't get me started on the racist bull I have to endure from some Frances, Ont est oux Quebec and Ici ont parlé français. However not all since some  Français ont a defrent view and go out of their way to speak English.

Its funny when U hear a French indavedual speaking in English to Moi and I'm responding en Français.

I don't really care where you are or what languages you or your neighbours might speak; I'm giving you a simple historical perspective. Had the French won in 1759 the expanding Americans - who had already taken Louisborg (1758) - would have taken French Québec, too, if not by 1763 then, certainly, by 1814. Québec would sound a lot like Florida, Louisiana and Texas: English.

E.R. Campbell said:
I don't really care where you are or what languages you or your neighbours might speak; I'm giving you a simple historical perspective. Had the French won in 1759 the expanding Americans - who had already taken Louisborg (1758) - would have taken French Québec, too, if not by 1763 then, certainly, by 1814. Québec would sound a lot like Florida,
Louisiana and Texas: English.

Well I don't share your perspective, like I stated the British won and today "French is the Official language of Québec". No Ifs need Ici.
As for comparing Florida which was part of Spain and sold for $5,000,000, or a claim settlement, Louisiana Ak Arcadian and Texas your in the wrong field.

Have you been to Florida, you'll fined many areas that speak French and even have Case-Pop ect. Today a good portion of Americans speak Spanish then English, in a decade+ more Americans will be speaking Spanish then English.

Chispa:
The point is this: the Americans would not have been as generous as the British were in guaranteeing religious and language rights for Quebec.  Just as there are parts of the US in which one can find languages spoken other than English, ALL official public discourse would be in english.  That's the point that Mr. Campbell is making.

Chispa said:
Have you been to Florida, you'll fined many areas that speak French and even have Case-Pop ect.

The only people who speak French in Florida are Quebecers who go there on holidays and live in their little enclaves.

Retired AF Guy said:
The only people who speak French in Florida are Quebecers who go there on holidays and live in their little enclaves.

"The dramatic increase in the number of people speaking French at home in Florida is largely attributable to a recent influx of Haitian immigrants, but French-Canadians still account for a large part of Florida's French fact."

"Now Haitian immigrants, whose French Creole is grouped with French for the purposes of the U.S. census, easily outnumber new arrivals from the north.  Dr. Jedwab said that 17,000 Haitians immigrated to Florida in 2001 alone. "

National Post
"French language thriving...in Florida"
October 15, 2003

Back