• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What happened to Christopher Robin ?

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
It appears that in the latest installments of Walt Disney Winnie the Pooh films, Christopher Robin has been replaced by a girl.  I wonder how A.A. Milne would consider this?  Even the Disney Corp has gone PC.

Heard this as well. It may work if they grow Christopher up and make it so that its he reading his daughter the stories.

Disappointing, but hardly surprising.  The ongoing Disneyfication of the vast majority of the myths, legends, and fairytales that I was told as a child has bothered me for a long time.  You can't fight the mega-corp.  As for the PC thing, Disney has led that charge for years; not every fairytale had a happy ending, most had a pretty dark message that didn't translate well to singing mice and talking birds.  If there's a true evil in the world, Disneycorp is it.

Sex change, kidding lol. Disney has gone south more southren than disney world, they stopped making there old school movies like the classics and stuff real shame , I know thats the stuff that I used to belive in when I was a youngin. :crybaby:

What you need is Peter Jackson running Disney  :o ;D Now THAT would get some nice un-PC films out  :dontpanic:

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that I always thought C. Robin was a bit effiminate. What difference does it make if he's male or female? I think he's androgrenous. What say you all?

And I always thought Joan of Arc was a bulldyke.  Would you feel the same if Disney renamed it John of Arc and made her a male character?  How androgynous is the name Christopher?  If Milne would have named the kid Chris, you may have a case, but he didn't.

Not to mention the Canadian aspect of this whole story.  Is Disney going to change that part too (speaking of the whole origin of "Winnie" being short for Winnipeg, etc.)?  I can hear Mr. Milne spinning in his grave as we speak. 

Disney are becoming unbelievable whores, and their products are not the same quality as they used to be.  I bought a "Disney Princesses" video for my kid, and two out of the four stories were not even animated.  They were chopped frames patched together from pieces of existing movies.  Even some of the voices were just cut and pasted from the originals.  A pathetic and unapologetic cash grab.

Kat Stevens said:
And I always thought Joan of Arc was a bulldyke.  Would you feel the same if Disney renamed it John of Arc and made her a male character?  How androgynous is the name Christopher?  If Milne would have named the kid Chris, you may have a case, but he didn't.

Kat sorry for the delay in answering this, I actually did but it got lost in the system crash...so I'm going to try to write more or less what I did then.

I take your point about Joan of Arc and I was just playing devil's advocate. I agree with you that it's ridiculous to exchange Christopher Robin, but what can be done about it?

I think movies these days aren't generally true to the books they are 'based on'. To me, this is just another hollywood hack job on a perfectly good story.

They call it poetic license, I call it a shame.

the 48th regulator said:
And to think, we here at R Mee Dot see eh aren't the only ones riled up!!

talk disney blog

dileas

tess
Wow.  What a bunch of hard chargers.  Pure hardcore.  I wonder if you went through that site how many of them posted direct links to our site.  I'm sure there is an string about who would be a better assaulter--Mickey or Donald--in there somewhere ::)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-12-06-winnie-the-pooh_x.htm
The gamble could sweeten the pot of a company that already brings in $1 billion annually from Pooh merchandise, "more than all their core characters combined," says Thomas Ranese of marketing consultants Interbrand. "Pooh appears to be a robust brand that can handle expansion."
Hmmm, the real motive?

Luckily the haven't renamed Bambi.

You know?  "Bambi" the male deer, who grows up big and strong with a huge rack!  ;D 

The Disnazis won't take long to sort Bambi out! LOL

Cheers,
Duey

Maybe I just miss the days when there were large buildings, full of sheets of paper with words on them; Books, my Mum used to call them.  I love to read, everything from the Princess Auto flyer to A Tale of Two Cities.  Thanks in no small part to Disney, kids read today because they have to, not want to.  I've read The Hunchback of Notre Dame twice, seen 3 different movie versions(Laughton far and away best Quasimodo ever), and nowhere else did Mr. Q hang out with talking gargoyles.  Unless memory fails, he also died a pretty grizzly death at the end.

I Googled it, and these "books" you speak of are known to still exist.. I am going to log on to the IRC channel for them and see where I can find one.  I will PM you, send you a text message and email you if I find any.  Worse case scenario I will digitize the google page and send it to you via snail mail so you can scan it and see for yourself.  hehe.

Bzz

Thanks in no small part to Disney, kids read today because they have to, not want to.

Actually, and this is a topic that bothers me (being a young person), I find that the majority of young people today don't read, and what's worse, quite a few of them can't read (or can't do so very well).  This I would attribute in part to movies and television, but also to Playstation/XBoX, etc.  I used to be one of those anti-book junkies; I had never, in my life, read a book for the sake of personal pleasure or interest.  But one day recently I picked up just one book and read through it, and now I can't stop reading; I've got a stack of books that I plan to read within the coming months.  In the interests of preserving an important aspect of our human culture, I do wish that young people would read literature.  (i.e. not ads, or magazines, or DVD covers...)  Soldiers too, I think, should read.  It might not seem relevant at first, but wouldn't soldiers benefit in some way from learning, on their own, about the regiment's achievements and traditions and about the history of our country?

Television is probably my least favourite invention of all time.  Apart from the fact that it's almost all junk being broadcast on every TV station, it just makes my head hurt.  Movies, I think, are better because there are some really intriguing flicks available (even today), but even then, I find the majority of movies are just junk.  It seems the best forms of home recreation left for me are playing my piano, reading my books, and doing pushups.  There's just nothing else worth doing on my free time.

I'm somewhat distraught that bogus changes are being made to Winnie-the-Pooh.  I sort of grew up on those stories.  When I was really little my mom used to read it to me, had cool pictures too.  I remember hating the Rabbit 'cause he was a bit of a prick, and my dad saying it was dangerous that Owl lived in a tree (in case of a lightning storm).  Then again, as mentioned before, this is Disney for ya.  Way to tarnish my childhood memories...

End rant.

Back