• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

I am on the 3rd book of Ken Folletts' Century TriologyEdge of Eternity.

I found the first 2 books, Fall of Giants and Winter of the World, fairly captivating.  I'm finding my interest fading a little bit on the final book as it starts to center on the rock band/junkie aspect of the timeline.  Hopefully the last 30% of the book finishes off with a zing to make this a very good trilogy.

I've got One Day in August next on the shelf and in hardcover;  looking forward to it as I do most of my reading now on a Kobo.

Being Prime Minister    by J D M Stewart Dundurn: Toronto, 2018) 338 pages index, bibliography and end notes. Lib of Congress: FC26.P7S74 2018
Anecdotes about the lives beyond politics of prime ministers.  e.g. travel, security, health, celebrities and pets.  Suitable to pick up and read during television commercial breaks. It will contribute to your witty remarks at socials.

I am currently in the middle of reading Into The Fire: A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War by Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer. I'm about halfway done, reading it on downtime whenever I get some.

Have now finished reading Hillary Clinton's What Happened.

https://www.amazon.ca/What-Happened-Hillary-Rodham-Clinton/dp/1501175564

In short: If you are looking for a good book that gives insight into what happened during the 2016 election or a suggestion for how the Democrats will move forward, this isn't it.

There are two sections worth reading.

The first is her view of the "email" issue. This is a pretty fair appraisal of the reality of what the issue was (minor at best) and how the press fell into Trump's trap of making it THE campaign and credibility issue to help him deflect from his lack of a platform and his own problems in the campaign. She certainly has no love for FBI Director Jim Comey and blames him (IMHO quite rightly) for undercutting her campaign at a critical time with his disclosure of the Weiner laptop emails (which was another non-event but which seriously undermined her support) This chapter is well written and her arguments well presented.

The second relates to the Russian interference in the campaign. Again there is a good marshalling of facts, a well presented tie-in of Russian activities with the Trump campaign (yes I believe there was collusion) and an analysis of what these activities mean for American democracy in the future (there'll be more of this until and unless the US gets its stuff together.)

All told that was 67 worth while pages out of a book of approximately 445. The remainder was a collection of name dropping, fluffy justifying, a fair bit of kumbaya-ism and basically not very good writing.  I never was much of a fan of Clinton's although I thought that she stood head and shoulders above her competition when it came to policies and competence. I still do but this book definitely left me disappointed and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in particular. While she offers some reasons, I don't think that she truly has a a handle on why people who weren't hard core Republicans nonetheless voted for Trump or failed to come out to vote for her. Unless the Democrats figure that out within the next year and come up with a good counter-strategy they may lose another election.  McCain's book (see above) was heads and shoulders better than this one.

(Interesting side fact - Other than FD Roosevelt and H Truman (five terms 1932-1952) the Democrats have never managed to have more than two consecutive terms in the White House)

:cheers:

The 11,000ers of the Canadian Rockies, by Bill Corbett, 2nd Edition.

Apparently they keep turning up new peaks over 11,000 feet, so the 2nd Edition has four more than the first.

I like the amazing stories of the first, and more remote, ascents. Many of these peaks see few ascents even now, with all the fancy gear, fitness programs and helicopters. It's humbling to read about the guys - and some gals - who suffered mightily to bag these peaks. I also like that the author has done many of these climbs himself, so comes across as a very credible writer when describing some of the routes.

https://www.amazon.ca/11-000ers-Canadian-Rockies-2nd/dp/1771601329

'An award winner at the Banff Mountain Book Festival, this comprehensive, full-colour climber’s guide and history celebrates in words and images these breathtaking summits and the lively, often forgotten accounts of the pioneering climbers and their original routes.

This new edition of The 11,000ers of the Canadian Rockies thoroughly updates route and access information, particularly taking into account the warming trends and glacier retreat that are significantly reshaping the landscape through which mountaineers travel. For those seeking fresh challenges or high peaks to bag, this revision introduces four more mountains on the threshold of 11,000 feet, bringing the potential total to 58 that reach the magic mark.

Each entry provides a vivid description of the peak, an extensive history of early and subsequent ascents (and ski descents) and a detailed description of moderate to intermediate routes, including access and approach information. The text is liberally illustrated in full colour and features dozens of route and climbing photos and detailed area maps.'

51jD5lKXE1L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/President-Missing-Novel-James-Patterson/dp/0316412694

Take one heroic former Ranger, widower president with a serious blood disease, an ambitious Vice-President, a Speaker of the House intent on impeaching the President for treason, an imminent, massive Jihadist terrorist cyber attack that will send the US back to the Dark Ages, two defecting terrorists, a traitor in the White House and a classical music loving assassin and what do you get?

Strangely enough you get a fast-paced and tightly knit thriller that will keep you turning all of its 528 pages. The plot has just enough hidden twists to keep you interested although it does runs a bit into the incredulous. The characters are a bit superficial and there aren't any secondary character or plot arcs to take you off the main story line. The writing style is pure Patterson (take that as you may but the man has sold over 275 million books). Clinton comes through with what was undoubtedly some background information on the ins and outs of a President's thought processes and the milieu of Washington and in a bit of a cri de coeur in the epilogue on how America has to pull together and give up partisan politics.

The collaboration was a bit over-hyped but all in all it makes a decent bit of light reading.

So, it's fiction, but the epilogue is a commentary by the former president? I'll have to see if I can sneak it under the tree for my father this Christmas.

Xylric said:
So, it's fiction, but the epilogue is a commentary by the former president? I'll have to see if I can sneak it under the tree for my father this Christmas.

Definitely fiction.

Actually to be really accurate that portion is in a speech that the President gives to Congress in the last two chapters (127 and 128) which is followed by a very short epilogue but Patterson has a habit of chopping things into very short chapters. In my mind the three are actually one real epilogue. (But then I haven't sold 275 million books so what do I know)

FJAG said:
Definitely fiction.

Actually to be really accurate that portion is in a speech that the President gives to Congress in the last two chapters (127 and 128) which is followed by a very short epilogue but Patterson has a habit of chopping things into very short chapters. In my mind the three are actually one real epilogue. (But then I haven't sold 275 million books so what do I know)

His writing style does take some getting used to, but I think having very short chapters is a decent factor in the number of copies he's sold. Makes it easier for people who don't have the time to sit and read.

"Natural Born Heroes" by Christopher McDougall

Using the kidnapping of a German general on the Island of Crete during WWII as a thread to hold all the disparate parts of the story together, the book looks at everything from nutrition, exercise, martial arts and even spirituality as a way of exploring the ancient Greek idea of Heroism and Heroes. The conclusion is actually the opposite of the title; Heroes can indeed be created.

This has interesting implications for us in how we recruit, train and educate our young people, and it is especially telling when we look at the differences between what we do today, and how Cretan partisans and some eccentric British SOE types were able to perform fantastic feats of physical and mental endurance on minimal sleep and a small handful of food, in terrible weather conditions and over mountainous terrain, while eluding thousands of German solders swarming over the island looking for them.

"The Day The World Came To Town" by Jim DeFede, about Gander NL in 9/11 and Operation Yellow Ribbon. 

It's pretty dusty in the room...

Thucydides said:
"Natural Born Heroes" by Christopher McDougall

Using the kidnapping of a German general on the Island of Crete during WWII as a thread to hold all the disparate parts of the story together, the book looks at everything from nutrition, exercise, martial arts and even spirituality as a way of exploring the ancient Greek idea of Heroism and Heroes. The conclusion is actually the opposite of the title; Heroes can indeed be created.

This has interesting implications for us in how we recruit, train and educate our young people, and it is especially telling when we look at the differences between what we do today, and how Cretan partisans and some eccentric British SOE types were able to perform fantastic feats of physical and mental endurance on minimal sleep and a small handful of food, in terrible weather conditions and over mountainous terrain, while eluding thousands of German solders swarming over the island looking for them.

If you haven't you should also read this book 'Ill met by Moonlight' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ill_Met_by_Moonlight

It's also a movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ill_Met_by_Moonlight_(film)

Might be the one that your book is based upon?

Doing a bunch of 'in-depth' stuff right now, so I have some completely inconsequential reading:

Cary Elwes, As You Wish:  Inconceivable Tales from the Making of 'The Princess Bride' -- a gift from the daughter, who said (lovingly, I'm sure), "It's summer;  take this book and some beer, head down to the lake, and chill the f**k out."

As.....you...…...wi-iiish"  ;D

You've always struck me as more of an Inigo Montoya than a Dead Pirate Roberts...

dapaterson said:
You've always struck me as more of an Inigo Montoya than a Dead Dread Pirate Roberts...
Interesting typo.  ;D

...but I'm perfectly OK with either;  there are worse character choices.  :nod:

daftandbarmy said:
If you haven't you should also read this book 'Ill met by Moonlight' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ill_Met_by_Moonlight

It's also a movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ill_Met_by_Moonlight_(film)

Might be the one that your book is based upon?

Natural born Heroes isn't based on "Ill Met by Moonlight", but does tell a parallel story, including background information about the various SOE members who participated in the kidnapping. The author started this project far too late to interview the actual participants, but does use a great deal of biographical and material from many researchers, including ones who had contact with the raiders. The author and several guides also attempt to recreate the trek of the SOE party across the island, so there is a real sense of what was accomplished (and how amazingly difficult it was).

This is the thread which ties in all the other elements of the book, since the author is interested in "how could they accomplish that?".

Thucydides said:
Natural born Heroes isn't based on "Ill Met by Moonlight", but does tell a parallel story, including background information about the various SOE members who participated in the kidnapping. The author started this project far too late to interview the actual participants, but does use a great deal of biographical and material from many researchers, including ones who had contact with the raiders. The author and several guides also attempt to recreate the trek of the SOE party across the island, so there is a real sense of what was accomplished (and how amazingly difficult it was).

This is the thread which ties in all the other elements of the book, since the author is interested in "how could they accomplish that?".

With your opening phrase, I was left wondering what other "kidnapping of a German general" did the SOE do during the war, then recognized the "parallel" aspect.  Having not yet read the book but still a fan of the film "Ill Met By Moonlight" as well as intrigued by the life and accomplishments of Patrick Leigh Fermor (and Billy Moss - his SOE colleague in the Kreipe kidnapping and author of Ill Met By Moonlight), it caught my interest.  Luckily it is available at my local library so I have put it on hold.

However, a quick look at some of the comments in bibliocommons has tempered my enthusiasm.  For those not as interested in the connection between "running" (which seems to be the author Christopher McDougall's primary interest) and SOE/Cretan resistance activities, maybe have a look at "Abducting a General: The Kreipe Operation and SOE in Crete" by Patrick Leigh Fermor.

Blackadder1916 said:
With your opening phrase, I was left wondering what other "kidnapping of a German general" did the SOE do during the war, then recognized the "parallel" aspect.  Having not yet read the book but still a fan of the film "Ill Met By Moonlight" as well as intrigued by the life and accomplishments of Patrick Leigh Fermor (and Billy Moss - his SOE colleague in the Kreipe kidnapping and author of Ill Met By Moonlight), it caught my interest.  Luckily it is available at my local library so I have put it on hold.

However, a quick look at some of the comments in bibliocommons has tempered my enthusiasm.  For those not as interested in the connection between "running" (which seems to be the author Christopher McDougall's primary interest) and SOE/Cretan resistance activities, maybe have a look at "Abducting a General: The Kreipe Operation and SOE in Crete" by Patrick Leigh Fermor.

Kidnap of Heinrich Kreipe

'The success of the operation was put into question several months after its conclusion. The outcome came to be seen as a symbolic propaganda victory rather than a strategic one. The relatively harmless Kreipe was replaced by Müller who ordered a series of large scale reprisals against the civilian population of the island known as Holocaust of Kedros. The operation entered popular imagination through the biographical works of the several of its participants, most notably Moss's book Ill Met by Moonlight.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnap_of_Heinrich_Kreipe

Patrick Leigh Fermor's book, well worth the read:

DfciA3hWkAAYI3i.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/Abducting-General-Kreipe-Operation-Crete/dp/1444796585

Mark
Ottawa

Back