• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weekend Pres BMQ 2010-2011 experiences (good and bad)

Weekend 2.

A lot of classroom time. Environment, Code of Service Discipline, Alternate Dispute Resolution, Media Relations briefing.
Saturday PT was two games of capture the flag, to help us build up some aggression and develop some team skills. Sunday was relays, which really highlighted the personal PT areas I need to work on.

One thing I experimented with this weekend was having my next days combats neatly folded into one of these http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/bnc/4059_0.htm. My thinking was that I could grab it and head right for the showers after PT, and toss my PT strip into it as I changed. It worked a lot better than the troops who were heading to the showers with armfuls of uniforms and ablutions kit. Spending a few minutes organizing your kit makes everything go so much smoother.

Last two lecture periods on Sunday were basic rifle drill. Positions of Attention, At Ease, Stand Easy, Order Arms, and Shoulder Arms. These two periods were easily our worst. Personally, I was getting frustrated with myself for forgetting simple things like not lifting my left leg all the way when moving to Stand at Ease, which led to me getting sloppy. When we had the chance to practice the movements individually I took a few seconds to mentally sort myself out and things started to improve. Key point: relax.

From a team forming perspective things are going really well. The forming and storming stages are over and we're starting on norming and performing. People are encouraging each other to push harder in PT, helping each other with drill during our breaks, filling buddy's water bottle when they're filling their own. The platoon is starting to develop its own internal culture and personality, which is kind of exciting to see.

Back