• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Sunglasses While On Duty

Googles should be allowed - both the Goggles, Wind and Dust and the Bolle T800 (Ballistic) goggle are issue (or at least in the system).

the new ballistic glasses are nice but too hard to switch lenses without breaking them, and the legs always scratch the middle of the lenses even if you extend them out all the way, and it is a pain in the @$$ to get replacements.

nsmedicman said:
Any idea when the new glasses will be issued to all?
are you talking about the Ballistic goggles? 31 bde has been issued theirs

heh... medical units might be slow off the mark now that they're no longer part of the Brigades.

geo said:
heh... medical units might be slow off the mark now that they're no longer part of the Brigades.

Why arnt they? We still have medics assigned to our unit, that go out to the bush with us just incase

Medical branch made some decisions and chose to gather all their Med Coys outside of the Reg/Res brgades. They are still around and will provide support as requested BUT they aren't in the Brigade chain of command.

With respect to different priorities... the Airforce decided that they had enough money available and ordered enough Cadpat rainsuits for all the air types.... while the Combat arms still go around with the olive coloured ones.

It's a matter of priorities, not yours, not mine......

Does anyone know the reason for banning photochromic and mirrored sunglasses.  Is it because the former looks funny when one wears them out of sun ('funny' because the lenses are somewhat light)?  As for the latter, I've heard: 'it's because they don't allow others to see your eyes.'  So what.  Why is this an issue?  I would think that in any situation which one would need eye contact, one could remove the glasses in the first place.  In situations where this is impossible, surely the other party would understand the circumstances and not take the lack of eye contact as an insult.

Sailing Instructor said:
Does anyone know the reason for banning photochromic and mirrored sunglasses.   Is it because the former looks funny when one wears them out of sun ('funny' because the lenses are somewhat light)?   As for the latter, I've heard: 'it's because they don't allow others to see your eyes.'   So what.   Why is this an issue?   I would think that in any situation which one would need eye contact, one could remove the glasses in the first place.   In situations where this is impossible, surely the other party would understand the circumstances and not take the lack of eye contact as an insult.
Did you bother to read the previous posts on this thread?
Look at my post @ top of Pg 2...
Photocrome does not switch instantaneously and thus, going from light to dark, you're blind for a period of time...

Mirrored lenses - guess what; in the field they can reflect and give away position.

Aw man...  But I love my Ice-Blue mirrored Oakleys...  so nice with the green uniform.

So the reasoning behind no reflective lenses is a "hangover" from field to garrison & walking out?  I ask because there are a great many details that would not be done in the field for fear of letting the enemy see you, but it seems that most are understood to be fixed by commanders in the field (orders not to wear such and such).  Is the ban on these glasses a sort of tradtion that reminds us and others the primary objective of our job?

well... it's better than creating other rules for all sort of other situations
this way - 1 rule for all situations

I'm comfortable with it.... esp now that the ballistic glasses are decent looking

We don't wear mirrored or photochromic lens because the Dress Regs say we don't. If you need more explanation than that, I'm sure your Chief or RSM will be happy to discuss it with you.

face it, if you have oakleys that aren't "over the top", the chances are that no one is going to bust your chops about em....
(only problem I see here is that "Over the top" is a subjective thing)

I remember when I was in Croatia with 1VP in '94 - our RSM was going on a rampage about people's sunglasses.  One person in particular in my rifle company was on his BEEPlist - his Oakley's had neon pink frames...

MM

Back