• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WEAPONS TECHNICIAN - LAND

You'll also become the go-to guy for nice engraved plaques, too! Seriously, though, enjoy your new trade.

Greetings,

Yup Jack of all trades we were/are. I remember in Germany, (Bergen-Hohne I think) we were given these stinky old barracks to live in for two weeks and they had these old oil heaters in them...naturally none worked. I found an oil supply, and quickly set out to repair said burner. Had to make up some special tools..mostly to ream out clogged supply tubes and some scraping of carbon type build up...you get my drift. Next thing I know, the old Sergeant-Major keeps me off the ranges for a day to get all the burners going in the Sgt/Wo barracks, then the officers, and then at night, on my own time the rest of the troops..can't say I minded staying back for a day, being close to the kitchen trailer and all. Drank free beer for a few nights too! See, it does pay to know a little about a lot LOL ;D

everyone loves a gun plumber, especially when the fix the necessities, weapons, heaters, generators ... and the list goes on.

Hey there,

Let's not forget Security Containers..I never took the course, but it is a good one to take with you to Civvie street after the Military. I know some ex gunplumbers who got into Locksmithing when they retired, and it wouldn't surprise me some serving gunplummers are doing it as a side job or home based business. I can't recall whether or not this course is open to reserve techs ...anyone know?

I don't think security containers is actually closed to reservists but its a hard course to get in the reg force, therefore, next to impossible for reservists.  Mr. Nyitray (sp??) used to teach this course.  Know if he's still at the school?

Hey, I remember him,(mr. nitray)

A nice guy, very knowledgable, a bit arrogant lol. I remember seeing him in the school, he must be retired by now, I will have to go to the unofficial weapons tech site to confirm this. It was a hard course to get I remember. They only ran one or two a year I think and only 6 to 8 candidates at at time. We did have the equipment at the shop in Ottawa and my boss did all the calls. The fibre optics are interesting. My last course at the school was Coyote gunnery as a civilian. (was at CBO at the time) didn't see him then.

B

gnplummer421 said:
I will have to go to the unofficial weapons tech site to confirm this.

What is the address to that site? i cant seem to locate it.

Thanks Patty didn't know why i didn't just type that in!? I was thinking about it.

Hey everyone,
I just got in for Weapons Tech in December and am currently doing my Reserve Weekend BMQ.  I'm just wondering what other courses a Tech needs other than his QL3?  I would like to do something this summer other than SQ and no one at my unit seems to know what there is out there.  Thanks for the help.

You should inquire about EME Common which is usually required prior to your QL3 course.  They usually run them in the summertime so you may have time to do both SQ and EME common this year. 

as a reservist some units have run their own personal EME common courses in the fall/winter where you can also do the courses on the weekends.

Hi, I started my military life as 421 but remustered to Ammo Tech. I was teaching at the school a few years back.  :)Mr. Nitray has retired. Don't know where he is now? :)

hey, i just joined in June 06 and am wondering what the EME common course is? I was never told about this course when i asked what courses i would need. any help here would be great, thanks.

mlapchuk,

EME Common is a core course consisting of subjects such as identification of common hand tools, fabricating, filing, brazing, welding, EME history, etc.  You will find all EME trades together on this course.  You normally would have a project you would have to complete such as making a hammer or a cannon, etc.

Good luck with your courses in the future.

Is this course taught to reservists or is it part of your QL3's, because no one (out of the couple) i talked to at the unit had heard of it.

mlapchuk,

Yes, this course is taught to reservists.  Ask your chain of command soonest about it if you've completed BMQ/SQ because this is your next step.  This course is separate from your QL3 and is taught locally rather than in Borden for reservists.

Good luck.

Well, seeing as this topic has been dormant for some time, I thought I would see if there are any Gunplummers out there still watching this Forum. I am surprised not more Techs are on this site.

I am going to try to attach an old pic in the days where a Sqn of Tanks required Maintenance APC's in support. It was a lot of fun chasing Tanks around the German Country side, and going on call outs to go repair call signs. We spent much time hiding in the woods a couple of clicks back from the Tangos. Here I am on my Wpns Carrier. (1989)

Cheers,

Gnplummer421 :cdn:

cough......cough..(blows dust off keyboard)

Still here in Wainwright.

Arte Et Marte.

Back