• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

weapons tech training question

deej96

Inactive
Reaction score
I've looked on other threads with no luck, so sorry if this is a repeat.

I was reading the recruiting site's info about the weapons tech training and it said there was a 18 month [or something close] to on-the-job training, or apprenticeship.  During this part of the training would the apprentice be able to go on tour?  Also, while I'm on the subject, would combat sections bring along weapons techs during a mission.  I saw something about doing the SQ course, but thought that was only for combat trades [infantry, armour, combat engineer, etc], so I'm a little confused as to what a weapons tech actually does.  Do they only work in a shop environment or is there a chance they'll going "outside the wire"?

Thanks for the help!

During the OJT period there is little chance of going on tour. Your main focus is getting your QL4 (OJT) done and go on your QL5. In the tech world, EME especially, until your have your QL5 you are not considered qualified to sign off on your work or basically entrusted to work with minimal supervision. It's nothing personnal. However there may be a slim chance to go if you have your OJT completed. It depends on with who and when the deployment will take place.
Remember, being a tech, especially Wpns, or in my case EO (We work side by side 90% of the time at a first line unit) requries one to be experienced enough to make the "snap" decisions that could effect the fighting capability of the unit you are supporting and to competently find a way to get the equipment back into action. This happens at the junior level, as most repair teams consist of two techs and can sometimes be Cpls of different trades.
At the school you learn how to read the recipe book, and during your '4s you learn how to make the cake...many times until your supervisor declares you safe enough to go back to school and learn some more.
It depends on what unit you deploy with if you are wondering if they deploy with their techs. We normally only go out at the company/ squadron/ battery level deployments. Techs work in both the workshop and in the field. We try to repair as far forward as practical.
SQ is for all EME and that is where you learn the basics of soldiering. We used to cover this stuff during EME common training.
You will fix guns of all sizes and shapes.

combatbuddha,

I was directed to this thread as it is one of the few that talks about EO Techs and wanted to ask a few questions. The main one was as an EO Tech, what does your normal work day consist of and what does a work day in the feild deployed consist of?

Any pros or cons (if you have any) would be appricieated as well.

Thanks!

Hey robbiewho, i guess we are digging up older threads!

I too am interested in this EO Tech program.  Definitely something i want to get into and sounds great for a future career as an electrician.
I don't know who to talk to, or get in contact with in the army, but i suppose this is a good start.

My situation is that i already have a full time civilian job (in mech eng design technologist for 10 years), got a mortgage, wife, etc.  I want to do a career change for something in the Electrical field.
The army sounds great plus the fact that college course and books are paid for, not to mention a salary.  So, my question is if i apply for this position and get it, can i quit my job and still be able to pay bills?

EeLectrical said:
I don't know who to talk to, or get in contact with in the army
Ummm, try calling the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre or checking them out online, maybe??

EeLectrical said:
So, my question is if i apply for this position and get it, can i quit my job and still be able to pay bills?
No, you can't.  None of us in the CF are paid.  ::)  Seriously??

EeLectrical said:
The army sounds great plus the fact that college course and books are paid for, not to mention a salary.  So, my question is if i apply for this position and get it, can i quit my job and still be able to pay bills?
Not only will you be able to quit your job, it will be a requirement for you.  You will require chain-of-command approval to have a second job, and you will on no uncertain terms be firmly reminded that your obligation to Her Majesty comes before any other job you may have.

As for being able to pay your bills, not knowing how much you owe or how much you spend on cable tv, satellite, rental movies, heat, hydro, etc, I have no idea.  Find the pay levels online for your trade and you're gold.

Also, one last reminder, you do end up paying for your education and books.  We (the "Royal" We) don't accept cash.  You will be expected to pay for that education and books, etc with time served, and, if necessary, your life.

Welcome aboard.

Technoviking said:
Not only will you be able to quit your job, it will be a requirement for you.  You will require chain-of-command approval to have a second job, and you will on no uncertain terms be firmly reminded that your obligation to Her Majesty comes before any other job you may have.
Ah, I cant tell you how much im looking forward to handing in my resignation.  Im tired of sitting in front of a pc a day long, cooped up in cubical, no sun, no fresh air. Measly pay, no room for growth.

Technoviking said:
As for being able to pay your bills, not knowing how much you owe or how much you spend on cable tv, satellite, rental movies, heat, hydro, etc, I have no idea.  Find the pay levels online for your trade and you're gold.
Im not in that deep with debt, but just doing my due diligence while looking into a career change.
I've been out of college for about 10 years now working in the mechanical engineering design field, and im seriously looking into a career change.  Electrical is what im after, and since i've learned about the Electrical technician opportunities in the Forces, my chin dropped...I think i've found my perfect career.  (Is that possible? :nod:).
Im looking forward to counting down the days to serving my country! :cdn:

Technoviking said:
Also, one last reminder, you do end up paying for your education and books.  We (the "Royal" We) don't accept cash.  You will be expected to pay for that education and books, etc with time served, and, if necessary, your life.

Welcome aboard.
Fully understood.  The question now is, how soon can i start?!  :salute:

Thanks for your replies  :)

Back