• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weapon Handling in Selection

brendanthompson

Inactive
Reaction score
I know they say anyone in the Forces can tryout for SOFCOM (after 2 years REG) if they are fit and physically/mentally healthy... But it would seem like good weapon handling skills would be needed as well...

How skilled? Infantry skilled? Basic Training skilled? Like you could be top notch for physical fitness and PT standards but what if you haven't had as much rifle handling/training as infantry guys?

I have searched and not found any results so please don't tell me to search... This is why I'm using the forums anyway is to get my question answered, not postponed.:p

You haven't even gone to BMQ yet and you are already worrying about SOFCOM? Untill you are atleast trades qualified and competant at your job I wouldn't be too concerned about getting into SOFCOM.. should be focusing more on the short term an whats immediatly ahead of you.

Anyways, you do know before you attend a selection assuming they want you after the file review, etc if you are that nervous on weapons handaling you can probably get someone at your unit do go over the weapons with you.. also I'm sure the other candidates/staff on the selection/course can help you out. And I'm confident SOFCOM would train you extremely well and get you proficient in the use of different weapons and and other skill sets, etc

brendanthompson,
From someone who is 'there' but wishes to stay "covert".

You will be taught everything you need to know before any testing about weapons However it is always best to be as good at something as you can be. It would be best if you were at an Cbt Arms standard of weapons handleling as that could be an asset. Do not however think that because you are not cbt arms or have vast amounts of weapons skill that you are unsuitable as an applicant there are many many non cbt arms members serving as both Assaulter and Operaters in both JTF2 and CSOR.

brendanthompson said:
I know they say anyone in the Forces can tryout for SOFCOM (after 2 years REG) if they are fit and physically/mentally healthy... But it would seem like good weapon handling skills would be needed as well...
First off, CANSOFCOM consists of four units with varied roles and required skill-sets. That being said, members will be taught all requisite skills.

The key requirement volunteers must bring to the table being: "fit, resourceful, intelligent, mature, and motivated to excel both professionally and personally."

Edit: Either I type too slowly or there's an echo in here   ;)

Thanks guys, answered my question fully.  I know I sound like an ignorant un BMQ qualified kid right now but I am curious and have to start somewhere.. >.<

I think what folks are trying to tell you is that by the time you get to the point of being able to apply the standards may have changed from what they are now and therefore these answers don't really help you anyway.

Except for the part about just do/be the best you can..........

Back