• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"We Love Canada" - Canadian hostage freed by PFLP

raymao

Inactive
Reaction score
Passport saved Canadian hostage
Held hostage at gunpoint by Palestinian extremists in the Gaza Strip, Mark Budzanowski feared for his life – until his captors discovered his passport and declared 'We love Canada'
MARK MACKINNON

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

JERUSALEM — Mark Budzanowski could almost feel his captors' mood sag when they rifled through his pockets and found his passport. The word Canada on the cover was a blow to the dozens of masked men who surrounded him in the nondescript basement somewhere in the Gaza Strip. They thought they had kidnapped an American.

At first, the men in the masks didn't believe their eyes, and questioned the 57-year-old aid worker about Canada and about specific shops near Mr. Budzanowski's residence on Carlton Street in Toronto.

When they were finally convinced that Mr. Budzanowski was not an American in disguise, he said, they started treating him more politely, and handling him less roughly.

"When they were certain I was Canadian, they were very disappointed. Then, they told me, 'We love Canada.' That's wonderful to hear when you have guns pointed at you," an exhausted Mr. Budzanowski said yesterday in a telephone interview shortly after he was released after almost 30 hours as a hostage.

"It's wonderful to have a Canadian passport because it changes people's minds. One of the guards kept asking me to say hello to Canada, so it does stand for something."

His former captors had taken a liking to him toward the end of the hostage-taking and one — the one who kept asking him to say hello to Canada — even gave him a phone number to call if he ever needed the help of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.

"I don't intend to use it, but I believe he meant it," Mr. Budzanowski said with a chuckle.

He was one of 11 foreigners taken hostage by Palestinian gunmen on Tuesday after the Israeli army attacked a prison in the West Bank city of Jericho, eventually capturing militant leader Ahmed Saadat and five other wanted men who had been in Palestinian custody. All the foreign hostages have since been released.

Mr. Budzanowski's captors, members of the leftist PFLP, which Mr. Saadat leads, had been looking for an American or British hostage, someone they could potentially use as barter to get Israel to stop its attack on the jail.

Under a complicated international agreement, U.S. and British monitors had been stationed at the prison since 2002 as guarantors of Mr. Saadat's sentence, but left their posts just minutes before the Israeli tanks and bulldozers arrived. The short period of time between the departure of the monitors and the arrival of the Israeli military sparked charges of collusion and a wave of anti-foreigner anger across the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Gunmen wearing masks and military fatigues burst into the Gaza City offices of Jumpstart International, the U.S.-based humanitarian group that Mr. Budzanowski works for, shortly after the Israeli assault on the Jericho prison began Tuesday morning. Pointing Kalashnikov rifles at his chest, they blindfolded him and shoved him down stairs and into a waiting car.

Mr. Budzanowski, who could see some of what was going on despite the blindfold, says the hostage-takers then drove him at high speed through the streets of Gaza, firing in the air to get the drivers of other vehicles to get out of their way. Eventually, they ended up in the basement of a house in the neighbouring city of Khan Younis, the first of a succession of hideouts to which the broad-shouldered, bespectacled Canadian was taken. He said his captors who openly wore PFLP colours. "looked more like bikers than a militia or military unit."

At times, they changed addresses every half-hour. They forced Mr. Budzanowski to change out of the tan suit he was wearing and put on ill-fitting clothes they gave him. Later, they instructed him to put his suit back on.

At one stop, they made him record a video that was broadcast on international news networks Tuesday night. In the video, Mr. Budzanowski, shown surrounded by masked men and flags of the PFLP, said his kidnapping was the work of "patriotic Palestinians" who wanted to protest the U.S. and British roles in the Jericho raid. He also told the camera that he and other foreigners taken hostage that day would meet the same fate as Mr. Saadat. Later when he was freed, he recalled that he had been so tired and frightened that he hadn't known what he was saying, merely reading a script they gave him.

"They told me what to say: how awful the Israelis were, how wonderful the PFLP was. I was very obliging, whatever they told me. I don't even remember what I said." He added, however, that he understood the anger the Palestinians felt over the Jericho raid, even if he didn't agree with the use of violence in response.

After the broadcast of the video, the hostage-takers began to pass on handwritten notes from Mr. Budzanowski's friends and colleagues. They heartened him — it meant people knew where he was, and he began to hope he would soon be released.

After a sleepless night, during which his captors kept flicking on the light to make sure he wasn't trying to escape, Mr. Budzanowski said, he was forced to record another video, then put back into a car and driven to what he assumed would be another hideout. Only when he saw a crowd of camera-wielding journalists, and then was greeted by French diplomats acting on behalf of the Canadian embassy in Tel Aviv, did Mr. Budzanowski realize that he was being freed.

But while the Canadian embassy had arranged safe passage for him to Tel Aviv, and then home to Canada if he wanted, Mr. Budzanowski decided to stay in Gaza City. After what he hoped would be a long sleep and a warm shower, the aid worker planned to be back at his desk at Jumpstart this morning.

Despite his lack of sleep, Mr. Budzanowski spoke passionately about the need to help Palestinians rebuild their economy and society. He said Jumpstart's projects — including the building of a polytechnic school on the ruins of a deserted Israeli settlement in Gaza and a "peace park" near the Rafah border crossing with Egypt — are too important for him to go home now.

Palestinian police were less sure he should stay, and posted guards outside his room in Gaza City last night. Mr. Budzanowski, however, wasn't worried.

"I find this work very exciting, this is tangible help we're giving, and there's no reason for me to go home because of an incident like this, no matter how unpleasant."

And wait for the corresponding American bashing in the media....riiiiight.....NOW.

Why are people proud of this?

Why would masked gunmen, dare I say 'terrorists', of the PFLP 'love' Canada?  Could it be because of our lax security and apparent ease to raise money/coordinate plans and attacks?  Maybe they love Canada for all the wrong reasons...  :salute:

Baloo said:
And wait for the corresponding American bashing in the media....riiiiight.....NOW.

I think the bashing has started already. If you go onto globeandmail.com you can read the comments attached with the article. There are plenty involved with the article and quite a few Americans in there as well. The one comment that seemed to sum it up best in Canada's defence was this one submitted towards the end:

Ray Robertson from Ontario, Canada writes: I find myself dismayed and somewhat ashamed that my fellow Canadians are so ignorant of our history and foreign policy. People who responded to this article seem to believe that the international respect Canada sometimes (certainly not always) gets "just happened", or happens because we are "laughable," "loveable," or "sympathetic to terrorists." Nonsense. Throughout most of the last century Canadian men and women have been putting their lives at risk to EARN our country an international reputation for honesty and trustworthiness. Canada was a member of EVERY U.N. peace-keeping mission right up to the middle of the final decade of the 20th century. It was Canadians who were the prime movers of the establishment of the U.N. peacekeeping missions, and the drafting of an International Charter of Human Rights. We have sometimes had to stand up to trusted allies and oppose their foreign policy. And Canadian workers have paid for that with lost jobs and reduced income. It isn't always easy standing on your principles. Canada has worked continually toward the recognition and protection of human rights for ALL people, not just our own citizens. And our troops have bought our reputation as an honest peace broker with their toil and their blood. Our record has not always been perfect...but whose is? We HAVE made mistakes...but who hasn't? But do not tell me that the trust we receive internationally is a fluke, or worse yet, a sign of our ineffectuality. Try being grateful to the people who gave their all to BUY the security that, more often than not, is attached to a Canadian passport.
Posted 16/03/06 at 10:51 AM EST

Most can't find us on the map. Just as most Canadians can't find Palestine on a map.  ???

The only reason he was let go and not harmed was because he was not American or British, not because he was Canadian. No anti-American sentiments on my part, don't misunderstand me. It's just my opinion that a Canadian isn't worth much to their cause, but an American hostage (or worse) would be a valuable asset for whatever they are promoting.

Kudos to Mr. Budzanowski for staying and carrying out his mission in life. Don't know if I would do the same.  :salute:

Ray Robertson from Ontario, Canada writes: I find myself dismayed and somewhat ashamed that my fellow Canadians are so ignorant of our history and foreign policy. People who responded to this article seem to believe that the international respect Canada sometimes (certainly not always) gets "just happened", or happens because we are "laughable," "loveable," or "sympathetic to terrorists." Nonsense. Throughout most of the last century Canadian men and women have been putting their lives at risk to EARN our country an international reputation for honesty and trustworthiness. Canada was a member of EVERY U.N. peace-keeping mission right up to the middle of the final decade of the 20th century. It was Canadians who were the prime movers of the establishment of the U.N. peacekeeping missions, and the drafting of an International Charter of Human Rights. We have sometimes had to stand up to trusted allies and oppose their foreign policy. And Canadian workers have paid for that with lost jobs and reduced income. It isn't always easy standing on your principles. Canada has worked continually toward the recognition and protection of human rights for ALL people, not just our own citizens. And our troops have bought our reputation as an honest peace broker with their toil and their blood. Our record has not always been perfect...but whose is? We HAVE made mistakes...but who hasn't? But do not tell me that the trust we receive internationally is a fluke, or worse yet, a sign of our ineffectuality. Try being grateful to the people who gave their all to BUY the security that, more often than not, is attached to a Canadian passport.

If they only taught that kinda stuff in schools, maybe the public would be more proud of being Canadian, for some of the right reasons, not just anti-american branding, and they'd understand the Canadian Forces slightly better too... Kudos to this guy!

:salute:

I agree with you R031 Pte Joe, unfortunately you don't hear about Canada's role in international circles nearly as much until you are taking a course in international relations or human rights & equity in university. It may surprise Canadians how well known we are for the humanitarian work we participate in. A Canadian was the one responsible for drafting the United Nations Human Rights Act, Canadians are also involved in helping many foreign nations draft their own human rights policies. This recognition does not go unnoticed. As far as speculating to why this group loves Canada to being something else would be more of an 'unknown' than the reason prescribed already.

Back