• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Waiver to volunteer?

Arctic Acorn

Reaction score
I recently started volunteering with a local Ground SAR team. When I joined, they told me that I needed to fill out a form advising DND that I was doing so, which I was told waives some of my pension rights if I injure myself while out working with them. They explained that its the same as what CF members who are volunteer firefighters have to fill out. I asked another CF member in the group, but he couldn't recall the particular CFAO. A search of the CFAOs (and on here as well) didn't turn up anything.

Does anyone know what this form/applicable CFAO is?

Thanks much,

0tto

The form is in Chapter 10 Annex B of the Realty Asset Management Manual.

If you look on the DIN and do a search for Volunteer Firefighter, you can find a copy of the manual in CFB Edmonton's site (among others)

Otis

I always cringe a little bit when people say that you will give up your pension rights if you are injured while taking part in an outside activity.  This is not necessarily true.  You give up no earned benefits derived from the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act (CFSA).  This is the pension that you've paid for and if you have to be released as a result of injuries sustained in an outside activity, then you will still be entitled to the same CFSA benefits you would have received had you released voluntarily.  These will vary depending on your years of service (i.e. if you don't have enough, you will only get a return of contributions).  What you will NOT receive if injured and released as a result of an outside activity, is a pension under the Pension Act - an entirely different piece of legislation from the CFSA.  You can only receive a pension under the Pension Act if your injuries are a result of military service, or occur while serving in a Special Duty Area (none of which are in Canada at the moment).  My experience with volunteer organizations is that the Chain of Command encourages it because it reflects well on the CF.

Back