• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Release while on P Cat questions

Radchris

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been on T cat for 3 years now for a low back injury and an OSI. Just recently I was recommended for P Cat for my low back condition. The problem is I put my Voluntary release in and I have less than 3 month till my last day of service. Im getting alot of presure to pull my release and wait out a medical release.  But I've been told this could take up to 2 years to happen.  I'm 31 and want to start a second career now, ive been wasting away for the last 3 years on chit and cant handle it anymore.

So after I release do they shred my med files and wash there hands of me?

after 11 years and 4 operational tours its pretty depressing.

Radchris said:
I've been on T cat for 3 years now for a low back injury and an OSI. Just recently I was recommended for P Cat for my low back condition. The problem is I put my Voluntary release in and I have less than 3 month till my last day of service. Im getting alot of presure to pull my release and wait out a medical release.  But I've been told this could take up to 2 years to happen.  I'm 31 and want to start a second career now, ive been wasting away for the last 3 years on chit and cant handle it anymore.

So after I release do they shred my med files and wash there hands of me?

Have you been in contact with the JPSU / IPSC? 

There are several back-to-work opportunities you can take advantage of while awaiting a Medical Release, not to mention the SISIP back-to-work programs offered upon a medical release. (I'm in kind of the same boat).

If you VR, you may lose a lot of these opportunities. 

Radchris said:
Im going to call JPSU tomorrow, see what they say.
Thanks

I am asking you, as a JSPU worker if you will, to reconsider. Your benefits by waiting for a 3b far outweigh the time period you need to wait.

Think of it as short term pain for long term gain.

I have to echo Jim's recommendation. Your benefits on a 3B are much more substantial those on a 4C. Things like an immediately indexed pension, training opportunities, priority hiring to name a few.

I also have to agree with the previous posters. A medical release is much better than a voluntary release in terms of advantages, the immediate pension being a big one. In the reserves, we actually will hold the files of members in your position (requesting vol release) when they could be releasing 3(b).  Much, much better for you in the long run even if 2 years may seem like a long time.

Please reconsider!

As clerks we do not have the option to hold files - it is our job to process the members request while advising him against such action.  However telling the member it will take a bit of time while we cross the t's and dot the i's so if he changes his mind let us know is not a problem.  Sometimes those t's and i's can take awhile.  But a clerk would never ever hold a members file once the work is completed.    ;D 

I am on a retention period and undergoing a 3b process (26 years served) and it would be most beneficial in my case (and most others) to hold out for a 3b vice a VR ...only makes sense in the long run not to mention options that are available. Might save some forehead slappin'    :facepalm:  later down the road.

Just sayin'.........

My experience has been that one of the main reasons medical release files take so long to process is that the system wants to exhaust every possibility with a view to keeping the member in the CF on the assumption that the member wants to stay in the CF.  If the member makes it known that he/she is not fighting to stay in, the system can sometimes move a little faster.

Pusser said:
My experience has been that one of the main reasons medical release files take so long to process is that the system wants to exhaust every possibility with a view to keeping the member in the CF on the assumption that the member wants to stay in the CF.  If the member makes it known that he/she is not fighting to stay in, the system can sometimes move a little faster.
And it will, provided that the system knows and is willing to act in that manner.

Radchris said:
so after I release do they shred my med files and wash there hands of me?

Great advice above and likewise I highly recommend you request to retract your VR and go medical.  Yes it's a grind waiting, however you can do much during this time for your recovery from both the OSI and lower back injury.  It is also pensionable time and the time can be used to set the max conditions for your success upon transitioning.  Including the assistance provided; to which I'm not an expert on, though I'm in a similiar situation - PCat / posted JPSU.  There is much support both professional and peer wise to get you through the depression and can't handle it moments (I've been there.)  No med files are shredded and your support via DVA will be better served going the medical route, as opposed to VR then backtracking. 

Much thanks for this post.  All the best, Dan.

Was in the same situation, getting ticked sitting around for a couple of TCats, groundings and the PCat review and because I am aircrew, my file had to go through the 1 CAD Surgeon and CFEME (DRDC in Toronto) before hitting Ottawa. Was ready to pull pin but decided to stick it out. I decided to use some connections, and get strings pulled. Once assigned my MEL, I had my retention offer (declined it) and release msg within days. Glad I waited and you will too. Hard to see the light because of the aggravation and seemingly (well, it is) slow process of a 3B but you will be happier in the end.

A couple of  things no one has said though and if you decide to pull pin anyways, you know about losing some of the benefits but if you are getting/applied/received a VAC payment/pension due to the condition(s) that caused you to be assigned MELs, you can see about getting some education/re-training paid for by them.

Your release item can be changed down the road, which leads to...

Pulling pin does NOT preclude you from applying to SISIP for funds down the road, IF you meet their definition of "totally disabled", but that is looked at on a case by case basis, with no guarantees.

But like others have said, stick it out. In the meantime, see the BPSO, develop an ILP then takes some courses while waiting. Beats sitting around, something I am doing now before the hockey hairs starts this summer.

CountDC : as a release clerk working in an HQ, hand in hand with the career section that does the AR (MEL) for reservists, I actually HAVE to hold the files if there is a possibility that the member would release 3(b) instead of 4(c). It's really not complicated : if the member has a permanent medical category and doesn't meet the US anymore, the member will, in almost every case, be released 3(b), regardless if he requested voluntary release and regardless if the CO signed the paperwork.

At least that's how it works in our HQ.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Just an update since I last posted:
Im currently upgrading my education through distance learning and waiting for my next MO appointment in march. I m going to tell her if I cant do my job in the Infantry anymore than that is it Im out. I dont want any other job. My biggest fear waiting for a 3b release is after all that time and being told "good news! we are going to hide you away in some stores job with restrictions to finish out your career"

Anyway thanks for the input

I think you are making a mistake, and your hindsight will probably agree with me, but not until further down the road.....when you able to look back dispassionately....

that given....we're all big boys and girls....good luck.

Radchris said:
Im currently upgrading my education through distance learning and waiting for my next MO appointment in march. I m going to tell her if I cant do my job in the Infantry anymore than that is it Im out. I dont want any other job. My biggest fear waiting for a 3b release is after all that time and being told "good news! we are going to hide you away in some stores job with restrictions to finish out your career"

I urge you t rethink your COA. While it may suit you in the short term, try to think 5, 10, 25 30 years down the road. Short term pain, for long term gain.

Unless things have changed greatly since my 3b release, they won't just arbitrarily chuck you into a deep dark corner of the CQ shop to rot.  They will offer what's called an "accomodation"  to find you a cushy go to ride it out.  You are under no obligation to take it, I didn't.  your 3b release will then be processed, and out you go.  This of course is old information, things may have changed, and I stand to be corrected.  However, this is the straight dope;  DON'T QUIT.  WAIT TO GET FIRED.

Radchris said:

First off, the Army is more than just the infantry and there is no shame in re-mustering for medical reasons.  You can still serve with honour in another role.  That's what happened to me and it turned out that I'm much better at the job I re-classified into than the one I was forced out of and consequently, I enjoy it a lot more.

Having said that, no one is forced into a new occupation.  If you no longer meet the requirements for infantry, they won't force you to become a Sup Tech (or anything else for that matter).  They may offer it to you, but they can't force it on you.  I'm no expert, but I don't believe they would then deny you a 3b release because you chose not to re-muster.  Keep in mind that "accommodation" is different.  They may put you into an admin type job for awhile until you release.  Again this won't affect your 3b release and in fact, you should be able to take advantage of all the re-training opportunities available, which can include up to six months of OJT with a prospective new employer (i.e. employer gets you for free while CF still pays you).  This is only one of several benefits of waiting it out.    Some others are possibly half versus full Severance Pay or an immediately indexed pension with a medical release versus one that is not indexed until much later (i.e. when your age plus years of service add up to 85).  These alone are worth thousands of dollars.  Don't be so quick to pick up your ball and go home because you think things are going too slowly.  You will throw away a lot if you do.  Add don't think you're "getting back" at anybody by storming off in a huff, because nobody will care.

One question:  if the infantry is the only thing that makes you happy, where do you expect to get that rush if you're a civilian?  Other occupations may not be infantry, but they're still soldiers and I've know a few soldiers whom I've actually liked. ;D

Back