• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Virtual shoot house - live fire

The "footage" looks to be from the game America's Army.Free to download off the net.

Damm that looks sweet. But if you want a war game to play. Play warrock.net

eager_beaver said:
The "footage" looks to be from the game America's Army.Free to download off the net.

It actually says it uses the America's Army program as a basis, and there are America's Army (the game) logo's on the shoot houses in the video.

I'm not sure I understand how the system detects the shots. It says a thermal camera captures the friction of the live round. Does that mean they're firing ball ammunition at the walls? It seems interesting.

daftandbarmy said:
Do our troops get a chance to use these types of facilities?

Not sure about stuff that advanced, but we do have weapon simulators were you lay in one spot and shoot co2 rifles and machine guns at a screen with little people running at you.  I think it uses lazers to detect shots, and normally ends when a tank comes rolling by, because we don't have any anti tank weapons.  :p

Spent the last couple of days in the FATS trainer.  Since it's getting a little long in the tooth, and is running on Windows 98, it's got some glitches and crashes.  The guys at the sim building were talking of a new system on it's way hopefully sometime in the near future,and they mentioned a live fire system.  Looks pretty cool to me....

I saw literature for a mobile range using this technology (a 40 ft trailer, with sophisticated ventiliation system and bullet catchers), but wasn't aware that they were able to retrofit existing kill-houses with it. Relatively simple concept (computers + software + projectors & cameras to detect hits = more realistic training), and I think it could easily be accomplished in Canada. AFAIK, CTC (in Gagetown) is still trialing some LaserShot technology (they had some wireless "fake" C7/C8 and pistols when I left in the summer) on static screens, and they were talking about creating kill-rooms using this concept, but nothing like this (live rounds being used) at the moment. I could contact the OPI to see if they are looking at it now (or are going to in the future) if anyone is interested.

AL

Wow.. That intergrated into training would defintly have it's advantages. Maybe they will have that when I enlish in.. I guess it would be 2010,2011..

Back