• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vehicle Searches at Border are Illegal - news article

Greymatters

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
A mind-blowing ruling by a judge who says that it is illegal for border guards to search cars at the border because they dont have a search warrant.  What next?  Shall it be illegal to search for guns and bombs prior to boarding airplanes, because CATSA didnt get a warrant?

Im embarassed to say it was a BC judge...

In accordance with Chapter 29 of the Copyright Act...
Vehicle Searches at Border are Illegal Judge Rules
http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v07/n872/a10.html

This article doesn't really report the entire story. What the court ruled was that extensive searches requiring the vehicle to be dismantled/damaged require a search warrant. The regular car searches aren't affected by this legislation. Additionally, asking for a warrant isn't exactly an oppressive burden to meet as they can usually be obtained over the telephone in under 5 minutes.

As well, it is already clearly established under Canadian Law (such as the NDA and Defense Controlled Areas Trespass Act) that submitting to a vehicle search can be a condition of entry, without a warrant. So the principle behind border searches has already been (indirectly) established elsewhere.

Cheers

The only ones that are worrying are the ones hiding something.

They can seach my vehicle or person anytime. Its all for the common good of everyone's safety overall.

Remember the bad guys often go for our weakest link. Our borders are shockingly weak and always have been.

That Judge needs to be removed.

Cheers,

Wes

"This article doesn't really report the entire story. What the court ruled was that extensive searches requiring the vehicle to be dismantled/damaged require a search warrant. The regular car searches aren't affected by this legislation. Additionally, asking for a warrant isn't exactly an oppressive burden to meet as they can usually be obtained over the telephone in under 5 minutes."

Sorry but this isn't accurate, I would love to be able to get a search warrant in 5 minutes! The fax cover sheet takes longer than that  to fill out. Once you have formulated your grounds and articulated the same on an ITO, and then completed all the requisite accompanying paperwork, Your warrant is then reviewed by a supervisor, then you contact the JJP center and and then fax the package through to the JJP on duty. Finally once they have reviewed your application, you may have to make some corrections, or it may be denied or you may get it signed. Total time anywhere from 2 hours for lightening fast to 6+ hours fo more complex situations.

Noneck

There is plenty of good case law that allows the CBSA to do whatever they need to at the border.  It was a piss poor decision, and I believe that it is being appealed.

GreyMatter said:
Im embarassed to say it was a BC judge...

You should be used to horrifying judicial rulings out there by now.  How do you think we feel when we get burdened with the precedent?

I am baffled!

You & your car drive up to and present yourself to the Cdn Immigration / Custom & Excise agent.

If they ask to inspect your car & you refuse..... I would venture to say to the customs agent - turn 'em around & send 'em back to the nice US Customs & border patrol people.  See how well they are greeted on arrival & see if their car doesn't get searched, like it or not.

This is a sad day for justice according to the article link provided the accused had 50kg of  illegal drugs in his possession . The border guards should have been giving  excellent praise for doing a job well done .                Now my question is thanks to this Judge's ruling is there any way that the border guards can have access to a search warrant when ever they need it ?   

My guess is that this will be sent up to the appeals court & prolly hit the supreme court in record time.

In the meantime, as the US boys to look after it.  They don't need no darned search warrant.
OR as an alternative, tell the suspects to park their car & cool their heels until they are prepared to submit to an inspection.

Let's not forget that the guy smuggling all this coke is now cut loose and back out in society. Likely with a name change and back in his 'community'.

As far as being sent back to the US, IIRC, CBSA cannot deny entry to a Canadian citizen.

geo 

I sure hope that your right the thought of this case being aloud to happen is discracefull .  I still cant imajine in what the judge was thinking to allow this accused  person off cause of this situation .  The acused was caught red hended  some days I just want to bang my head off  the desk

for those who are interested, here's the actual ruling
http://www.provincialcourt.bc.ca/judgments/pc/2007/02/p07_0224.htm

I have limited Customs knowledge, but if you refuse to let your vehicle be searched you can get arrested for a charge of Hindering.  There is a more wordy name for it, I just don't know it.  It's like Obstructing a Peace Officer, but CBSA specific. 
With regards to the US comparison, Canada actually has broader and more powerful border laws than they do.  However, when they catch someone, the sentences are far more severe. 
As for making anyone "cool their heels" that would be an unlawful detention, with all the grief that would come with it. 
The judge was wrong, plain and simple.  I trust that the appeal will make it better. 

Where is that darned WR when we need him  :mad:  Or Portcullis Guy?

While it does identify that there are contradictions between the Customs Act and the Charter, it should not mean that a person is free to avoid search and seizure when suspected of illegal activities.  Despite a lack of a guilty conviction, the evidence makes it fairly clear that the person in question was committing an illegal act, and is only attempting to use a technical loophole to avoid prosecution.

geo said:
I am baffled!

You & your car drive up to and present yourself to the Cdn Immigration / Custom & Excise agent.

If they ask to inspect your car & you refuse..... I would venture to say to the customs agent - turn 'em around & send 'em back to the nice US Customs & border patrol people.  See how well they are greeted on arrival & see if their car doesn't get searched, like it or not.

After reading the ruling it appears that the man did nothing to prevent the CBSA agents from searching his vehicle.  Rather the evidence was tossed because the agents violated his charter rights by detaining without informing him that he was under arrest, by exceeding the limits of section 99 of the Customs (which allows for searches).  The judged felt (rightly or wrongly) that this type of search fell under the purview of section 111 which says they needed to get a search warrant. 
My question is, once they detained him on suspicion of carrying contraband after the drug dog detected something and after they found the hidden compartment, why couldn't they fill out the paper work and get the search warrant?

Zipperhead, quick question, how long can you guys keep a guy to "cool down" before you have to place him under arrest? 

Judge Ellen Gordon has amassed quite a menu of horrible rulings in her short time as a provincial court judge in British Columbia. She was appointed in 2005. Since then she:

- Acquitted an impaired driver who was stopped by BSO's at Boundary Bay and had his vehicle searched. She ruled the search was illegal because it was simply a pretext to detain the man for impaired.

- Delayed the sentence of another impaired driver ... who killed someone ... so that the accused could spend Christmas with her family (too bad the deceased victim couldn't do the same). Her sentence was only 2 years anyway, and it was overturned on appeal.

- Tossed out a search warrant which resulted in a seizure of 600+ marihuana plants in a B.C. grow up, mainly because the police officers chose to telephone their warrant application, instead of go to the court house across the street.

- Gave out an absolute discharge (essentially the same as an acquittal, but with a finding of guilt) to a woman who poisoned a stand of trees, just so she could get a better view of Stanley Park from her $1-million condo

My question is, once they detained him on suspicion of carrying contraband after the drug dog detected something and after they found the hidden compartment, why couldn't they fill out the paper work and get the search warrant?

In ref to section 99 of the C.A. as long as the traveller is not taken out of the "normal stream" of exams, they do not have to  be detained/arrested. It has already been ruled that for the greater good of society some of your Charter rights can be "ignored" when crossing the border. One of these rights is the right against unlawful search and seizure. There is very strong case law from the SCC that states explicitly that Customs does not have to obtain a search warrant to exam a vehicle. Whether it is a cursory exam or an evasive exam
of a conveyance. If the CBSA had to get a search warrant for every vehicle that a dog hit on or a suspected cavity/void or an outright trap was detected, a JP would be needed on a fulltime basis just for that. It is somewhat a regular occurrence.

A person can be held up to 24hrs for a loo exam...that is sitting on a toilet until you generally have 2 clean bowel movements. After the 24hrs the BSO has to go to a JP for a hold. A subject cannot be compelled to have x-rays or a cavity exam. This is a daily event at Pearson, Vancouver or Montreal airports.

Zipperhead, quick question, how long can you guys keep a guy to "cool down" before you have to place him under arrest?

To answer for Zipperhead. As soon as you believe an offense has been committed, the person should be informed they are under arrest at that time.

I have limited Customs knowledge, but if you refuse to let your vehicle be searched you can get arrested for a charge of Hindering.  There is a more wordy name for it, I just don't know it.  It's like Obstructing a Peace Officer, but CBSA specific.

Zipperhead you are almost right on. The charge is hindering an officer in the performance of their duty. Minimum penalty is a $1000 fine and/or a 6 month sentence. That means if you refuse to allow an officer to exam your vehicle, refuse to produce identification, refuse to take off your sunglasses etc, you can be arrested for Hindering. All of the examples I provided are of convictions for hinderance.

With this ruling, nothing has changed in the day to day operation at the border. I doubt it will make it past the BC court of appeal. The SCC has already on this several times.

Sheerin said:

There isn't any such thing.  We can put someone under investigative detention if we have a suspicion that they have been/are involved in a criminal offence, or if we have grounds we arrest them (ultra simplified version)
We don't hold people for any length of time because a) it would be an unlawful detention outside of the two a/m situations and b) it's a waste of time and we are too busy to screw around like that. 
That being said, the CBSA powers are quite a bit more comprehensive than ours with regards to roadside detention and search. 

In ref to section 99 of the C.A. as long as the traveller is not taken out of the "normal stream" of exams, they do not have to  be detained/arrested. It has already been ruled that for the greater good of society some of your Charter rights can be "ignored" when crossing the border. One of these rights is the right against unlawful search and seizure. There is very strong case law from the SCC that states explicitly that Customs does not have to obtain a search warrant to exam a vehicle. Whether it is a cursory exam or an evasive exam

What would the difference between a normal stream of exams and a abnormal one be?  And would moving the vehicle from one border facility to another constittue this?  Since the legislation seems vague, I'm trying to figure out at what point searches stop being covered by section 99 and move to section 111

:cdn:
Hello READERS and TRAVELLING TOURISTS ...
hear is a suggestion for vehicle searches...
just get RID OF THAT BORDER and use all those buildings at those entry ports for TOURIST SITES and SHOPPING MALLS / MUSEUMS and HIRE all those trained humans to STOP and ARREST Drunk Drivers etc...
it is thee 21 st century..get with thee program...those borders are just a place to waste and pollute mother earth while idling and traffic jams...ECONOMIES ON BOTH SIDES DEPEND ON HOSPITALITY AND TOURISTS...y'all come back now ya hear !!
luv from CORNWALL ontario Canada...
(great web site...thank you / merci ./ gracias !!
drive safe / conduisez prudemment tout le monde ...BUCKLE UP svp

flair said:
:cdn:
Hello READERS and TRAVELLING TOURISTS ...
hear is a suggestion for vehicle searches...
just get RID OF THAT BORDER and use all those buildings at those entry ports for TOURIST SITES and SHOPPING MALLS / MUSEUMS and HIRE all those trained humans to STOP and ARREST Drunk Drivers etc...
it is thee 21 st century..get with thee program...those borders are just a place to waste and pollute mother earth while idling and traffic jams...ECONOMIES ON BOTH SIDES DEPEND ON HOSPITALITY AND TOURISTS...y'all come back now ya hear !!
luv from CORNWALL ontario Canada...
(great web site...thank you / merci ./ gracias !!
drive safe / conduisez prudemment tout le monde ...BUCKLE UP svp

kopkrab.gif

hippy.gif

Back