• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Various Symposia Reports

I attended a briefing by Andrew Wilder, Research Director for Policy Process at Tufts University’s (Medford, Mass) Feinstein International Center on Winning Hearts And Minds:
Questioning The Effectiveness Of Aid In Promoting Stability In Afghanistan at the University of Ottawa’s Centre for International Policy Studies.

Wilder is one of a rather small minority of experts who actually go to Afghanistan and talk to Afghans and foreigners about what’s going on.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the Tufts University web site is an in house interview (puff piece) that summarizes some of Dr. Wilder’s views:

http://tuftsjournal.tufts.edu/2009/09_2/corner/01/
The Real Problem in Afghanistan
It’s not that the Taliban are winning, it’s that the government is losing, says an international aid expert

By Taylor McNeil

The war in Afghanistan is in the news almost every day, and it’s hard to escape the images of villagers caught in the middle of the conflict. With a growing Taliban insurgency centered in the south and southeast, the violence continues to escalate.

It’s a situation Andrew Wilder, F89, F96, knows all too well. A research director for the Feinstein International Center since early 2007, he managed humanitarian aid and development programs in Afghanistan and Pakistan for 10 years while working for Mercy Corps, the International Rescue Committee and Save the Children. From 2002 to 2005, he established and served as the first director of the Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit (AREU), Afghanistan’s leading independent policy research organization.

Now he’s heading a study examining how humanitarian aid is affecting efforts to stabilize the war-torn country. Funded by AREU and the governments of Australia, Norway and Sweden, the study has taken him back to Afghanistan four times in the past year to interview Afghans and internationals of all stripes: government leaders, military personnel, tribal elders and villagers.

His initial findings might not fit easily with preconceived notions about the role of aid in countries in conflict. Wilder believes that too much aid, especially in the insecure regions of Afghanistan, is leading to more instability. Money is siphoned off by corrupt government officials, which fuels anti-government sentiment in the people who are supposed to benefit from that aid. On the other hand, regions that are relatively stable receive much less aid than unstable areas—and that’s a mistake, too, according to Wilder, because people feel like they are being penalized for maintaining security. Aid programs, he concludes, need to focus on humanitarian and developmental needs instead of security goals.

Wilder has brought his policy recommendations to the highest levels in Washington. His efforts have included a meeting with Richard Holbrooke, H97, the State Department’s special representative for Pakistan and Afghanistan. “I want very much for the research findings to be heard in policy circles,” Wilder says.

Born and raised in Pakistan, Wilder came to the United States to attend college. He later received an M.A. in law and diplomacy and a Ph.D. from the Fletcher School; his doctoral thesis was on Pakistani politics. His roots in the region stretch back even further than his upbringing: his grandparents were missionary doctors in India for 40 years.

Tufts Journal: Can humanitarian aid be used as a tool for stabilization and security in Afghanistan?

Security is the number-one desire of Afghans and the international community. If aid programs indeed have a significant security benefit, then I think there would be some justification for programming some of our development aid to try to achieve those benefits. But as far as I can see, there’s very little evidence that poverty, or the lack of infrastructure and health care in Afghanistan, are major causes of the conflict. All those things are important, but that’s not what’s driving the conflict.

We operate under the assumption that spending more aid money in the insecure areas improves security. But we don’t have evidence that it’s actually achieving these security objectives. That’s why I’m urging some caution, since our research is showing not only is aid not stabilizing, it can also be destabilizing.

How would aid be destabilizing?

The more money we try to spend in this environment, which has very limited human resources and institutional capacity, inevitably money overflows into the pockets of corrupt officials. Our aid programs are actually fueling the corruption, which is de-legitimizing the government, which is fueling instability.

But can humanitarian aid play a useful role in Afghanistan?

Humanitarian aid plays a very important role in Afghanistan, but I think it’s important that humanitarian aid be provided on an impartial basis, based on needs—and the needs in Afghanistan are tremendous. I think we do have lots of evidence that aid can be effective in addressing humanitarian and development needs. But there isn’t evidence that it is effective in addressing security needs.

What do Afghans view as the cause of the conflict?

I just got back from Afghanistan in July, and spent some time in one of the southern provinces, Urozgan, which is quite badly affected by the insurgency. I was interviewing Afghans on their perceptions of insecurity and of aid. It was interesting the number of people who thought that what was fueling insecurity was not the Taliban, but their own corrupt and ineffective government.

I think this is one of the real problems in Afghanistan. It’s not necessarily that the Taliban are winning, it’s that the government is losing. It’s the government that we help support and that we are closely affiliated with that is viewed as corrupt and predatory by many Afghans. In some areas, that is leading some Afghans to start reminiscing and say, “When the Taliban were in charge there were problems. But we didn’t have these warlords, and we had some form of justice. And the police then weren’t ripping us off.”

How did we get into this mess?

Certainly early on serious mistakes were made. A few weeks after 9/11, we invaded Afghanistan with U.N. Security Council support and defeated the Taliban. But our objectives then were pretty narrowly focused on defeating the Taliban and al-Qaida and on the war on terror. There wasn’t much of a strategy beyond that.

As a quick-fix solution, we basically re-armed all the warlords who were willing to fight the Taliban. But they were the very ones who gave birth to the Taliban in the first place, since people were so fed up with the warlords. Most Afghans held them accountable for most of the instability of the previous 20 years. So very quickly we brought back to power some of the most unpopular and discredited individuals from the past, and they became the backbone of this new government that many Afghans see as part of the problem, rather than part of the solution.

What is the solution?

If we’re ever going to have any success in Afghanistan, it’s going to be due to some kind of political reconciliation. And that’s where our dilemma lies. We have a government now that should be doing the political piece, but I’m not convinced that they feel it’s in their interest to do that, because they are doing pretty well. Maintaining the status quo is, I think, in the interest of a lot of the key people we’re relying on to push the political process forward.

In other words, if you’re a politician in Kabul and all this money is coming in—and some falls into your pocket—what’s the incentive to change?

This is one reason why I’m in the less-is-more camp in Afghanistan. Some of our aid—it also includes a lot of security contracting and aid contracting—is needed, but we should be sure that what we do can be monitored and is effective and accountable and is not fueling corruption.

How does aid money work against our interests?

For example, we’re now spending hundreds of millions of dollars on road building. Roads are important. But there is mounting evidence that to build a road in an insecure area, you have to give money to the Taliban not to shoot your workers. So our aid money is actually ending up in Taliban coffers.

These deals are being made, and that’s where I would argue that we need to limit the amount of aid that goes to Afghanistan and focus more on the critical aspects: better governance and fighting corruption. We’re not going to get 100 percent here. But I think we need to give the Afghan public some perception that the government is moving in the right direction rather than continuing to move in the wrong direction.

When we hear about the Taliban, they seem to be a monolithic force. Are they really?

There are Taliban, and there are Taliban. There are some Talibs who are ideologically very committed; they need to fight this jihad. There are some who find it convenient to call themselves Taliban to intimidate other people. There are criminal Taliban, who use it as a guise to be highway bandits. There are tribal disputes where one group gets patronized by the government or the international community, so rival tribes—to maintain their power—have to align themselves with the Taliban. So you have people who are falling under the label of Taliban for many different reasons.

This is where we need much more nuanced political analysis, and I think that’s where the local knowledge and working and deal making at the local level are critically important. Because today’s Talib is tomorrow’s ally, and the next day’s Talib again. It’s a very fluid political situation.

Does the widespread poverty in Afghanistan fuel the conflict?

If anything, it’s the attempts to develop and modernize that fuel insecurity. I’m not saying we shouldn’t develop and modernize, but we shouldn’t assume that it’s stabilizing.

You could argue that in Afghanistan being extremely poor is a stable state, and being developed is a stable state. But the process in between, as new social groups emerge and there are perceived winners and losers in the economic development process, that’s not stable.

I’m very curious why there is this very strong perception in counterinsurgency circles that it’s the poor people who are fueling radicalization. If you look at the 1970s in Afghanistan, it was the rapid social change with the emergence of Kabul University that led to the emergence of extreme Islamic groups and the communist parties, which basically fueled a lot of the last three decades of conflict. And that was due to modernization, not poverty.

It seems that the U.S. and the international community would like to go in and clean up the Afghan government—from politicians to police—since the Afghans in power are not doing that.

That’s a real danger. And it’s one of the reasons why I’m opposed to what’s being called “the civilian surge,” which is to send more U.S. civilians in to work on reconstruction teams. One concern is that the more we end up doing, the more difficult it’s going to be to come up with an exit strategy. But more importantly, we can support reform efforts but we can’t lead them—they have to be Afghan led and Afghan owned if they’re going to work. That’s why I think until there is a government that is interested in reducing corruption and trying to govern more effectively, much of our aid money will simply continue to fuel corruption.

Isn’t it true, too, that these civilians could be easily manipulated by the locals?

That is absolutely the case, and it’s why I’m quite skeptical about sending Westerners to mentor the Afghans on how to do policing or good governance. When I see some retired cop from Bavaria or Nevada come out, and they are going to mentor some wily Afghan chief of police at a provincial headquarters—I think, who is mentoring whom? These guys are not where they are for nothing. They know how to run the drug networks; they know who’s who. I sometimes think we’re quite naïve.

There is a really strong sense of hospitality in Afghanistan, but that hospitality can also be used very strategically. I’ve often seen, and myself been victim to, falling in that web of hospitality and being played very skillfully as a result.

How can we measure success—or failure—in Afghanistan?

Having spent almost all my professional life working on Afghanistan, I don’t think it’s a country we should walk away from. But I’m skeptical that our current definitions of success are going to be achievable. I think we need to be more realistic in terms of what is achievable in the Afghan context. Our goals should probably be a lot less ambitious. What we end up achieving will probably not be viewed as “a success” by many people – Afghan or international. But I’m still hopeful that if we try to focus on doing a few things well, and recognize that there are no quick-fix solutions, we can avoid a repeat of the disastrous consequences of our prematurely walking away from Afghanistan nearly two decades ago.

Taylor McNeil can be reached at taylor.mcneil@tufts.edu

Wilder challenges most of the assumptions that appear to drive US (especially, and his main area of research), Canadian and NATO/ISAF operations in Afghanistan, especially the assumption that aid improves stability. He contends that the evidence says otherwise. Some University of Ottawa researchers who have worked/are working in North-East Afghanistan, also studying the impact and effectiveness of aid, agreed with him on that point. (Wilder’s research was, mainly, in and around Paktia and Khost provinces.)

Wilder discussed BGen Jon Vance’s recent remarks on aid vs. security. Wilder doesn’t disagree but he points out that the locals are, too often, caught between a rock (Vance’s Canadians) and a hard place (Taliban). Vance says, “Stop the bombers or I wont dig your wells.” The Taliban says, “Try to report us to Vance and his soldiers and we’ll cut your throats.”

Wilder’s recommendations are:

• Policies (not just on aid) should be evidence based;

• Prioritize quality (perhaps utility) of aid over quantity;

• Accept that bigger ≠ better;

• Recognize that aid can be destabilizing;

• Reward security, not insecurity; (i.e. BGen Vance is right, IF he reduces aid to insecure areas and offers more to areas where aid is working – reward success and punish failure. In a broader sense, perhaps it is time to move more aid to the North, away from Kandahar and Helmand, etc. )

• Prioritize development over security; and

• Governance and the rule of law are keys to all long term success in Afghanistan.

Wilder has promised to send me his slide deck and I will post it when I get it.

Andrew Wilder sent me his slide deck but, since he is still using it at universities and think tanks throughout North America, he has asked that it should not be posted on the web. Here, however, are a couple of “bullet lists” that will help to give some ideas of what he thinks is going wrong:

Questionable Stabilization Assumptions

• Poverty and a lack of reconstruction are significant causes of conflict and the insurgency
• There is a linear causal relationship between reconstruction assistance, economic development and stabilization
• Aid projects make you popular and help “win hearts and minds”
• Extending the reach of the central government in Afghanistan contributes to stabilization

And:

• Historical evidence does not support assumption [that: ”Security and Development are two sides of the same coin.” (Hamid Karzai, Tokyo Conference 2002) and ”By building trust and confidence in Coalition forces, these CERP [Commander’s Emergency Response Program] projects increase the flow of intelligence to commanders in the field and help turn local Iraqis and Afghans against insurgents and terrorists.” (Robert Gates, Secretary of Defense, 2007)]
• [There is] Little evidence that poverty or lack of reconstruction are significant drivers of current insurgency in Afghanistan
• [There is] Little evidence that post-9/11 humanitarian and development efforts in Afghanistan have had a stabilization impact

Further, here is a link to a related OP-Ed piece Dr. Wilder wrote for the Boston Globe.

I attended a presentation by Bruce Riedel of the Brookings Institute which is, regularly, described as one of the three most influential policy institutes in the U.S. and has been variously described, by the New York Times alone, as liberal, liberal-centrist, centrist, and conservative – which may say more about the shift in the NY Times’ views than it says about Brookings.

The key thing about Riedel is that he chaired Obama’s strategic review on Afghanistan and Pakistan which was completed in Mar 09and was adopted by NATO as its own grand strategy at the Apr 09 Heads of Government meeting in Strasbourg. Riedel assigned two attributes to Obama’s view of the strategy: adaptive and reactive, suggesting that Obama is prepared to revisit it as the situation demands.

Al Qaeda, Riedel says, is alive and well. After eight years of fighting we have managed to move its command team from a known place – Kandahar – to an unknown place, probably somewhere in Pakistan’s North-West Frontier region – this despite the biggest “manhunt” the world has ever seen with the greatest rewards ever offered.

Al Qaeda is not alone, it is a (relatively) small organization that operates as part of a loose syndicate of various and sundry Islamist or jihadist movements – most funded, to a greater or lesser degree, from Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States and some allied with Pakistan’s intelligence services.

The war in Afghanistan is, currently, being lost, but it is not over, yet.

The enemy has the momentum; the enemy has, in fact, seized the strategic and tactical initiative – according to Riedel because former President George WE. Bush frittered away America’s military strength and political capital in Iraq.

Riedel says Gen. McChrystal’s analysis and prescription are, broadly, correct even if his delivery may “do in” the whole enterprise. We need “smart COIN” to win.

The situation is not, or need not be hopeless: most Afghans want NATO/ISAF to “win” by helping the legitimate government of Afghanistan to be able to defeat (or at least contain) the Taliban. Riedel points out that there is no ”national” insurgency. There is a Pashtun insurgency which is, largely, confined to a few regions in the South and East.

The ANA, according to Riedel, is the key to winning, but it is not good enough, yet. It can and must get better. The momentum can be reversed if the ANA can be made to work.

Afghanistan and Pakistan are different – not one big AFPAK issue. Pakistan is the bigger, more dangerous and more difficult. Pakistan is, simultaneously, both a patron and victim of terrorism. Pakistan is fighting a real war against some terrorists in e.g. the Swat Valley even as it uses other terrorist groups for its own purposes. Pakistan is focused on India and Pakistani mischief making has turned India into a real threat.

But there is good news, too. There are credible reports that India and Pakistan opened a backchannel that developed, at least, a framework for future cooperation. But even as some Pakistani leaders work for peace others, representing a ”dark side” of Pakistan, continue to promote violence and terrorism in an effort to promote an India-Pakistan nuclear war which, despite their beliefs, Pakistan cannot win, possible cannot even survive.

India is a key player in the region. President Bush was right to engage it and the engagement needs to continue but India does not want American interference in its diplomacy with Pakistan and China. The Indians and the Chinese (and many Americans, too, including Riedel) are convinced that American diplomacy is too clumsy, too public and quite incapable of the subtlety that is needed to deal with the hugely complex web of Sino-India relations. None of the three (China, India or Pakistan) trusts America to stay the course, any course.

America is having serious second thoughts about Afghanistan because of the “sticker shock” caused by McChrystal’s report which came too far after the new NATO strategy. The election fiasco and, even worse, the duelling Op Eds between UN mission head Kai Eide and former deputy head Peter Galbraith over the extent of the corruption in the recent elections has further eroded Americans’ confidence.

Obama’s political “enemy,” in Washington, is the Democratic base.

I attended a very interesting talk by US Navy Capt (Ret’d) R. Robinson Harris of Lockheed Martin MS2 Integrated Defense Technologies who is also a member of the Canadian Navy’s Strategic Advisory Group. I hope my highly imperfect knowledge of naval matters is sufficient to give a reasonably accurate picture of what he had to say.

The official “blurb” says:

[size=11pt] Drawing on his naval, policy, and industry experience, R. Robinson Harris will discuss trends in the development of the next generation surface combatants. At the forefront of these trends are innovative forms of modularity and sustainability that will transform how future navies can operate and deploy, a reality that the Canadian government, ship-building industry, and Navy must consider as they begin contemplating the replacement of Canada's frigates and destroyers.

Captain Harris retired from the U. S. Navy in 1998 after 30 years of commissioned service. A Surface Warfare Officer, he served in a number of surface combatants and aircraft carriers. He commanded the Tomahawk Strike Destroyer, USS CONOLLY (DD 979) and Destroyer Squadron 32. Since retiring from the Navy, Captain Harris has worked for Lockheed Martin where he currently serves as Director of Advanced Concepts. He has led numerous seminars, workshops, and wargames pertaining to the Navy's '3-1 Strategy', '1000 Ship Navy', 'Global Fleet Stations,' and Riverine Warfare. He also participated in development of the Navy's new strategy, 'A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower.' He currently serves as an Adviser to the CNO Strategic Studies Group, and he is Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Baltimore Council on Foreign Affairs. He has served on the Canadian Navy's Strategic Advisory Group since 2008. Most recently he was appointed to the Secretary of the Navy's Naval Research Advisory Committee.

Capt Harris framed his remarks on the US Navy’s Cooperative Strategy which, in a rather Taoist way, rests on the principle that “Preventing wars is just as important as winning wars.” This is, in many respects a very common sense approach for navies because they have, traditionally, been the strategic “war prevention” service. Capt Harris believes that the USN’s cooperative strategy will drive Canada’s naval strategy. He focused, above all, on the need for flexibility – especially considering the ever lengthening service life that Canada demands of its warships. He very correctly, pointed out that no one, not Barack Obama and not Hu Jintao and certainly not Peter MacKay, has any idea at5 all about what the world will look like in 20, much less 50 years.

He discussed five “keys” to warship flexibility:

• SIZE;
• MODELARITY;
• OPEN ARCHITECTURE;
• INTEROPERABILITY; AND
• UNMANNED VEHICLES.

Size, Capt Harris suggested, does matter. He noted that steel is cherap; typically the “platform” is only about ⅓ of the capital cost of a warship and the capital cost is only a tiny percent of the life cycle costs so it is cheap and easy to “go big” which also improves both seakeeping and habitability and allows for better choices of weapon systems.

Modularity, he offered, is the “smart” way to design. He offered to sorts of modularity – one based on the German Meko system or the Danish Stanaflex system.

5-Absalon-ship.jpg

A roll-on roll-off ramp installed at the stern of the ship accesses the flex deck (flexible deck).

Of the two, he prefers the Danish model which, he suggested, is the base upon which the US Littoral Combat Ship’s modular design was based.

LCS_3.jpg

Cutaway of GD design showing internal spaces for mission modules.

Open Architecture involves providing a common (to the whole navy) “electronic backbone” for the ships so that C2 and weapons and control systems can all be standardized and can evolve, together, over time.

Interoperability within the nation’s fleets and between nations’ fleets and with other services is essential and, technically, relatively easy to accomplish on a small scale – say a half dozen countries. It gets harder and harder and, eventually, become a practical impossibility as the number of services (navy, air force, army, coast guard, police, customs) and the number of countries grows. We (Australia, Britain, Canada, America and so on) have accomplished practical interoperability between navies and between naval air arms. Everything else, including NATO, is hard.

Unmanned vehicles. Capt Harris is a proponent of unmanned vehicles – air, surface and sub-surface – there was little debate on unmanned systems, per se but his contention that automation and unmanned systems can save on people was hotly debated. Seceral Canadian officers pointed out that the saving that US plans for the Littoral Combat Ship are only possible because it forms only a small part of a much larger fleet and it has a very restricted role. Canadians pointed to recent German and Singaporean experience that shows that their “reduced staffing” ships cannot sustain high tempo operations for any reasonable length of time.

A few observations:

1. There is a need, in Canada, for a mixed fleet -

• Small combatants (say, just for argument, between 1,500 and 2,500 tons, carrying unmanned air vehicles) that are “blue water” capable but serve primarily for coastal patrol and to train officers and sailors;

• Large combatants (say 4,000 to 8,000 tons, carrying manned aircraft) (the CPF is 4,750± tons) for global operations;

• Support ships (probably 25,000 to 50,000 tons);

• Submarines; and

• Miscellaneous vessels.

All should be designed to a common “open architecture,” all should be “interoperable” and all should “evolve” on a common path.

2. Flexibility is, indeed, the primary requirement.

3. Canada builds “platforms” (hulls) but then integrates weapons and systems from several countries. So does the US – up to about 30% of the content of the Littoral Combat Ship being sourced from offshore. BQ defence critic and Deputy Chair of the HoC Defence Committee Clasude Bachand questioned the US commitment to real standardization and interoperability and Capt Harris agreed with him that protectionism is alive and very healthy in the US Congress and in the Pentagon, but he suggested that money, alone, is driving the US towards greater and greater standardization because they can no longer afford to “Buy American.”

E.R. Campbell said:
I attended a presentation by Bruce Riedel of the Brookings Institute which is, regularly, described as one of the three most influential policy institutes in the U.S. and has been variously described, by the New York Times alone, as liberal, liberal-centrist, centrist, and conservative – which may say more about the shift in the NY Times’ views than it says about Brookings.

The key thing about Riedel is that he chaired Obama’s strategic review on Afghanistan and Pakistan which was completed in Mar 09and was adopted by NATO as its own grand strategy at the Apr 09 Heads of Government meeting in Strasbourg. Riedel assigned two attributes to Obama’s view of the strategy: adaptive and reactive, suggesting that Obama is prepared to revisit it as the situation demands.

There is now a podcast of Bruce Riedel's talk available here.

E.R. Campbell said:
I attended a talk by Dambisa Moyo yesterday. It was sponsored by Canada 2020. (I’m not a member but I do enjoy many of their events.)

It was pretty predictable, at least it was for those who have read her book – everyone interested in Africa should (and CF members should be interested in Africa). She emphasized that she is an economist and her arguments are those of an economist and she apologized because they have been misrepresented by the mainstream, celebrity obsessed media who cannot figure out why her views ought to be taken as seriously as, say, those of Bono or Bob Geldof.

She also emphasized that she is taking aim at official development aid, not emergency humanitarian aid or local, small project, “charity” both of which she accepts as necessary and very human responses to poverty and disaster.

Her argument for letting the Chinese and Middle Eastern investors “in” will continue to discomfit Euro-American traditional hypocrites – especially when she explains that it’s OK for America to go, cap in hand, to the Beijing bankers but, somehow, not OK for Africa to do the same.

After a brief talk she was “interviewed” by Paul Wells. He did a quite good job, until he got into an economic theory he doesn’t quite understand. Moyo is, of course, very used to critical questions and she had no problems with any of the predictable softballs he lobbed her way. It’s a pity she could not have been “interviewed” by someone with equally “good” economic credentials. Her arguments about how private capital can be harnessed to develop Africa need to be considered and only expert, critical questioning will do it.

By the way, the less "complex, challenging" missions about which Mr. Fowler speaks are in Africa and they are the direction in which the celebrities would have us go.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) OF THE Copyright Act from the Foreign Affairs web site is an article relevant to Dambisa Moyo’s thesis:

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/65916/deborah-brautigam/africa’s-eastern-promise
Africa’s Eastern Promise
What the West Can Learn From Chinese Investment in Africa

Deborah Brautigam

DEBORAH BRAUTIGAM is Associate Professor of International Development at American University and the author of The Dragon’s Gift: The Real Story of China in Africa.

Last November, in the Egyptian resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh, Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao announced a series of new pledges for Chinese assistance to African countries -- and in the process, made many observers in the West very uneasy. Westerners think they know what Africa needs to do in order to develop: liberalize markets, get prices right, promote democracy. And they think they know what China is doing there: offering huge no-strings-attached aid packages to resource-rich countries that prop up pariah regimes.

But a closer look reveals a somewhat different story. Over the past few decades, China has managed to move hundreds of millions of its people out of poverty by combining state intervention with economic incentives to attract private investment -- the kind of experimentation that the Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping once described as "crossing the river by feeling the stones." Today, China is feeling the stones again but this time in its economic engagement across Africa. Its current experiment in Africa mixes a hard-nosed but clear-eyed self-interest with the lessons of China's own successful development and of decades of its failed aid projects in Africa.

The first prong of Beijing's efforts is to offer African states resource-backed development loans, an initiative inspired by its experience at home. In the late 1970s, eager for modern technology and infrastructure but with almost no foreign exchange, China leveraged its natural resources -- ample supplies of oil, coal, and other minerals -- to attract a market-rate $10 billion loan from Japan. China was to get new infrastructure and technology from Japan and repay it with shipments of oil and coal. In 1980, Japan began to finance six major railway, port, and hydropower projects, the first of many projects that used Japanese firms to help build China's transport corridors, coal mines, and power grids.

Since 2004, China has concluded similar deals in at least seven resource-rich countries in Africa, for a total of nearly $14 billion. Reconstruction in war-battered Angola, for example, has been helped by three oil-backed loans from Beijing, under which Chinese companies have built roads, railways, hospitals, schools, and water systems. Nigeria took out two similar loans to finance projects that use gas to generate electricity. Chinese teams are building one hydropower project in the Republic of the Congo (to be repaid in oil) and another in Ghana (to be repaid in cocoa beans).

So far, most of these loans have been issued by China's export credit agency, the Export-Import Bank of China (China Eximbank). Offered at market rates, they do not qualify as official foreign aid but nonetheless can help development. In poor, resource-rich countries, which are often cursed rather than blessed by their mineral wealth, resource-backed infrastructure loans can act as an "agency of restraint" and ensure that at least some of these countries' natural-resource wealth is spent on development investments.

Of course, China's loans pose some risks for the African recipients, particularly if Chinese firms are awarded infrastructure contracts without competitive bidding or if prices for the resources, the basis of the loan repayments, are fixed in advance. There is always a risk that African governments will not maintain infrastructure investments and that the Chinese projects' environmental and social safeguards will be too lax. Chinese construction companies often bring in Chinese manpower -- on average about 20 percent of the total labor their projects require -- reducing opportunities for Africans. When they do employ locals, Chinese firms often offer low wages and low labor standards.

But there are ways to mitigate these dangers. Under most of the agreements, the earnings from exports of natural resources are deposited directly into escrow accounts and their value is assessed at that moment, not fixed in advanced. This removes the potential for unfair pricing. Moreover, African governments are already driving harder and better-informed bargains. Angola required Chinese companies to subcontract 30 percent of the work to local firms and insisted that the Chinese solicit at least three bids for every project they planned to undertake. The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) will receive a $3 billion copper-backed loan from the Chinese government, which will help finance railways, roads, hospitals, and universities. According to some reports, the Congolese government has stipulated that 10 to 12 percent of all the infrastructure work undertaken under this arrangement must be subcontracted to Congolese firms, that no more than 20 percent of the construction workers involved be Chinese, and that at least one-half of one percent of the costs of each infrastructure project be spent on worker training.

The terms of Chinese loans also tend to be better than those of deals from Western companies. As Congolese President Joseph Kabila has pointed out, a $3 billion joint mining venture in the DRC gives his government a 32 percent share, compared with the 7 to 25 percent that is typical for mining deals with other companies. Former Angolan Finance Minister José Pedro de Morais has said that by setting "a new benchmark," a  $2 billion loan from China Eximbank in 2004 helped Angola negotiate better terms for other commercial loans. Thanks to its trillions in foreign exchange reserves, China can offer loans at highly competitive interest rates. Eximbank gave the Angolan government three loans at interest rates ranging from LIBOR (the London Interbank Offered Rate, the rate banks charge each other on loans) plus 1.25 percent to LIBOR plus 1.75 percent, as well as generous grace periods and long repayment terms. Commercial lenders, such as Standard Chartered Bank, have charged Angola LIBOR plus 2.5 percent or more, without any grace period and while requiring faster repayment.

In its second major experiment, China is helping to build special trade and economic cooperation zones in Africa. Seven such zones are in the works: two in Nigeria; the others in Egypt, Ethiopia, Mauritius, Zambia, and, possibly, Algeria. Special economic zones were an important feature of China's early development; today, China has more than one hundred such areas. The economists Paul Collier, author of The Bottom Billion, and John Page, of the Brookings Institution, argue in a recent report for the United Nations Industrial Development Organization that special economic zones can be a very promising strategy for industrialization and employment in Africa's least developed countries. It allows countries to improve poor infrastructure, inadequate services, and weak institutions by focusing efforts on a limited geographical area. And a targeted focus on boosting manufactured exports can help countries overcome the exchange-rate appreciation and the weakening of local non-energy industries that often accompany natural-resource exports.

The Chinese government is mindful that these zones must be sustainable in the long term. For decades, Chinese teams in Africa constructed agricultural projects or built factories only to turn them over to inexperienced and sometimes uninterested host governments. Once the Chinese left, the benefits of the projects declined, prompting the host governments to ask the Chinese to return. Now, Chinese companies are taking responsibility for both designing and building the zones and then managing them as businesses. Beijing will subsidize part of the start-up costs, including some of the expenses that Chinese companies incur by moving operations overseas. Several of the agencies involved in China's own successful zones are advising -- and in some cases, investing in -- the projects in Africa. China's venture-capital fund for Africa, the $5 billion China-Africa Development Fund, has taken equity shares in three of the seven planned zones. A new $1 billion fund for small and medium enterprises in Africa, which was announced at the November summit in Egypt, will help African entrepreneurs set up businesses in the zones.

Why would the Chinese government push some of its labor- and energy-intensive industries to move to special economic zones in Africa, even as the U.S. Congress bans the U.S. Agency for International Development from financing any activities that could relocate the jobs of Americans overseas? Because Chinese planners want industrialists at home to move up the value chain. Polluting industries such as leather tanneries and metal smelters are no longer tolerated in many Chinese cities. And as the world economy recovers from the recent economic recession, wages and benefits will resume rising in China's coastal belt, as they had been before the crisis. Some factories will move further inland, but others will go offshore, closer to both the sources of and the markets for raw materials.

The early stages of industrialization might bring pollution, low wages, and long workdays, especially if the Chinese zones are successful. But like China's resource-backed loans, the planned economic zones promise to provide African countries with some things they very much want: employment opportunities, new technologies, and badly needed infrastructure. This is an opportunity for African states to ride into the global economy on China's shirttails rather than remain natural-resource suppliers to the world.

While the West supports microfinance for the poor in Africa, China is setting up a $5 billion equity fund to foster investment there. The West advocates trade liberalization to open African markets; China constructs special economic zones to draw Chinese firms to the continent. Westerners support government and democracy; the Chinese build roads and dams. In so doing, China may wind up supporting some dictatorial and corrupt regimes, but -- and this is an inconvenient truth -- the West also supports such regimes when it advances its interests. And given the limits of the West's success in promoting development in Africa so far, perhaps Westerners should be less judgmental and more open-minded in assessing China's initiatives there.

Copyright © 2002-2009 by the Council on Foreign Relations, Inc.
All rights reserved.

The loans to which Brautigam refers are not quite the investments Moyo wants, but they are a huge step in that direction.

Update from Kandahar

A Gregg Centre public lecture by:
Colonel Roch Lacroix
Deputy Commander Task Force Kandahar, 2009
7:30 PM, Monday February 1st, Wu Conference Centre,
UNB, Fredericton, New Brunswick

Colonel Roch Lacroix recently returned from Afghanistan, where he served as Deputy Commander of Canadian and NATO Forces in Kandahar Province from February to November 2009.  Col Lacroix will offer the latest first-hand insights into the counter-insurgency struggle taking place in this conflict-stricken region.  He will also provide an update on Canadian Forces assistance efforts on the development, reconstruction and law and order fronts.  Col Lacroix served at a unique time in Canada’s Afghan Mission, when President Obama’s increase of US forces and aid greatly increased the NATO effort in Kandahar.   

www.unb.ca/greggcentre

Atlantic Military Affairs Symposium:
Islanders at War and Peace, Charlottetown 2010

Friday April 16th
At the University of Prince Edward Island
DUFFY Lecture Theatre (Rm135 in the Science building)
Reception to follow at the Faculty Lounge in the MAIN Building

Saturday April 17th
At the Prince Edward Island Regiment’s Queen Charlotte Armoury
On the corner of Haviland and Water Streets

Public Symposium Connects Prince Edward Island’s Military History to the Modern Canadian Forces.
Local Soldiers, Sailors and Aircrew form the core of a two-day conference focusing on the Island’s role in the defence of Canada.

The Gregg Centre for the Study of War and Society at the University of New Brunswick, the University of Prince Edward Island, HMCS Queen Charlotte and the Prince Edward Island Regiment are teaming up to host the first annual Atlantic Military Affairs Symposium in Charlottetown.  This public military history and current affairs gathering takes place on UPEI campus on Friday evening 16th April and at the PEI Regiment’s Queen Charlotte Armoury all day Saturday, 17th April.

The event includes local and national military historians presenting on subjects ranging from the Island’s 19th Century militia and contribution in two world wars to the role of today’s PEI army and naval reservists around the world.

This first annual Atlantic Military Affairs Symposium features a keynote address on Friday 16th April by renowned Canadian naval historian, Professor Roger Sarty from Wilfrid Laurier University.  In honour of Canada’s Naval Centennial, Professor Sarty’s address is titled: “By accident as much as by design:  The surprising origins and rise of the Royal Canadian Navy, 1881-1945”

The organizers aim to bring together historians, Island Reservists, students and the general public interested in how Prince Edward Island connects to Canada’s military past and present.  Other featured speakers include The Gregg Centre’s Lee Windsor and Brent Wilson, PEI’s own Boyde Beck and David Campbell, and reservists from HMCS Queen Charlotte and the Prince Edward Island Regiment who’ve returned from service overseas.

Admission is free and all are welcome!
Lunch will be provided and the PEI Regiment Museum will be open.
For more information see our program at:
http://www.unb.ca/greggcentre/public_education/amasconference.html

Or contact:
Lee Windsor PhD, Deputy Director
Gregg Centre for the Study of War and Society
University of New Brunswick
PO Box 4400 Fredericton NB E3B 5A3
Tel (506) 453-4911; Fax (506) 447-3175
lwindsor@unb.ca  www.unb.ca/greggcentre

Please look here.

Those who can should attend David Bercuson's talk tomorrow. (Sadly I have a previous commitment.)

There is no charge, registration is not required. The building is at the corner of Laurier and Nicholas - just across from NDHQ South Tower (101 Colonel By Drive).

And also, please note: 28 Oct 10 at 17:30 Hrs -

Debate – Should Canada Buy F-35 Fighter Jets?
For
: Rob Huebert, University of Calgary
Against: Michael Byers, University of British Columbia

Same place: Desmarais Building, 55 Laurier Ave. E., Room 1150 (1st floor)

Should be interesting for those who can attend. "This free event will be in English. Registration is not required."

Those who can attend - unfortunately I am away in Texas and China - may find all three of these talks by Paul Myer, Taliban Jack Layton and Kim Richard Nossal interesting.

All are in the same place:  The Desmarais Building, 55 Laurier Ave. E., Ottawa, Room 3120 - just across the street from the South Tower of the NDHQ building. There is no fee and registration is not required.

E.R. Campbell said:
may find all three of these talks...interesting.
Hey, you didn't mention the following talk on their list -- Peggy Hicks, (Global Advocacy Director, Human Rights Watch, New York), talking on "Human Rights and the United Nations"; don't you think that will be fascinating?    ;D

E.R. Campbell said:
Those who can attend - unfortunately I am away in Texas and China - may find all three of these talks by Paul Myer, Taliban Jack Layton and Kim Richard Nossal interesting.

All are in the same place:  The Desmarais Building, 55 Laurier Ave. E., Ottawa, Room 3120 - just across the street from the South Tower of the NDHQ building. There is no fee and registration is not required.

From CIPS:

Room change: Jack Layton speech

Please note: today's 2 p.m. presentation by Jack Layton will take place on the 12th floor of the Desmarais Building, 55 Laurier Ave. E. (not the 3rd floor as previously advertised).

The very few members who pay any attention at all to my musings will know that I have reservations about Responsibility to Protect (R2P) in both theory and practice. Thus I am (slightly) saddened to be, still, In China, when I could be attending what looks like an interesting presentation by Prof. Ian Hurd of Northwestern University at Ottawa University/CIPS.

Here is the "blurb:"

-----------------------
February 18, 2011

Ian Hurd
Is Humanitarian Intervention Legal? The Rule of Law in an Incoherent World

A talk by Ian Hurd, Northwestern University

Presented by CIPS
Time: 11:00 a.m.
Free. Registration not required. In English.

Ian Hurd is Associate Professor of political science at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois.  His teaching and research is on the interaction between governments and international institutions, and he has published widely on international organizations, international theory, and world politics.  He is currently on leave at the Niehaus Center on Globalization and Governance at the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton University, where he is writing a book on the connections between international law and foreign policy.  His most recent work is International Organizations: Politics, Law, Practice (Cambridge University Press, 2011), a textbook for courses on international politics and international organizations.

It is tomorrow - your time.

The Second Annual "New Perspectives on the Second World War" Colloquium

The History Graduate Students' Union and Calgary Military Museums' Society are pleased to announce a special colloquium and reception in honour of the 70th Anniversary of the Japanese attacks on the British Empire and the U.S. featuring talks by John Ferris and Christopher Bell.

This evening is the second session of the annual "New Perspectives Colloquium," and is host to two talks by pre-eminent historians.  Professor John Ferris, a noted historian of British intelligence and strategy will speak about his current research on British and American intelligence in the lead up to Pearl Harbor. He will be followed by Dr. Christopher Bell of Dalhousie University, who will speak about Canadian soldiers and the attack on Hong Kong.

The colloquium will be held at the Kensington Legion (1910 Kensington Rd NW Calgary).  The evening will run on 8 December 2011, from 6:30-9:00 pm, and will include a New York steak dinner. Admission for the general public is $40.00.  Veterans and students are particularly encouraged to attend and registration for both is only $20.00.  Tickets can be purchased securely through PayPal or at the door (cash or check only).  Follow the link at the history department website to register: http://hist.ucalgary.ca/hgsu/

To RSVP (registration must be received by December 1, 2011) or for more information, please email The History Graduate Students' Union at ranke@ucalgary.ca, or call (403) 220-2669.

Hello Everyone,

On Wednesday, 28 November 2012, The Atlantic Council of Canada (ACC) will be hosting its annual Fall Conference.
Speakers include: The Hon. Bill GRAHAM, His Excellency Barna KARIMI, Ambassador of Afghanistan to Canada, BGen Derek W. JOYCE, and Col (Ret’d) Brian MACDONALD.
This conference will focus on Canada and NATO’s legacy in Afghanistan and the recent strategic shift from conflicts relying on personnel-heavy operations to more technologically reliant fronts, notably cyber security and drone warfare.

Ticket prices are $75 and for students it is $20

Feel free to contact the ACC by either email: rsvp@atlantic-council.ca or phone: 416-979-1875 if you are interested in attending the event.

See attachment for further details

Thank You

Back