• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

Sorry for the late reply,

Yes you have to apply for the additional pain and suffering. It took me 2-3 weeks for an answer. From step 1 to step final decision, super fast.

John

Were you released when you did or was that before your DOR?

I see in a post above your got 45% PTSD. I thought the max for that was 40%. Maybe I heard that wrong?

Deployed twice in Afghanistan,
2007 and 2010. I got released in 2015, I applied in 2022 after a few nightmares and other shits. First time applying and got 45%, my case manager from VAC told me max for PTSD is 60%. If things change, for worst, I could do a reassessment in 2 years (2024).

Sorry for the late reply,

Yes you have to apply for the additional pain and suffering. It took me 2-3 weeks for an answer. From step 1 to step final decision, super fast.

John
Thank you and no worries, I appreciate the information. I was reading your posts from a year ago and hoping I would be having close to the same experience but I am still waiting. I want to apply for the additional pain and suffering but I'm waiting for my PTSD claim to be complete before I do, looking at the time of year it will not be done until sometime next year.

Deployed twice in Afghanistan,
2007 and 2010. I got released in 2015, I applied in 2022 after a few nightmares and other shits. First time applying and got 45%, my case manager from VAC told me max for PTSD is 60%. If things change, for worst, I could do a reassessment in 2 years (2024).

Hope you’re doing ok and they’re looking after you. 👊🏻

ok I am amazed. I had contacted them about changing to a lump sum and they informed me of the amount and then asked if I wanted the form as they had to send it me. I asked for the form and get a reply that the request had been passed on they would send me the form in about 6 weeks. I fill it out and send it back then I may have the payment in another 6 weeks. What I don't understand is why a form I have to fill out takes 6 weeks to receive and isn't just available as a download from the site.

ok I am amazed. I had contacted them about changing to a lump sum and they informed me of the amount and then asked if I wanted the form as they had to send it me. I asked for the form and get a reply that the request had been passed on they would send me the form in about 6 weeks. I fill it out and send it back then I may have the payment in another 6 weeks. What I don't understand is why a form I have to fill out takes 6 weeks to receive and isn't just available as a download from the site.

Because then you wouldn't need a bureaucracy.

But don't make them angry. You won't like them when they're angry ;)

"If you're going to sin, sin against God, not the bureaucracy; God will forgive you but the bureaucracy won't."

Hyman Rickover

Got my form for lump sum payment today. I now understand a bit why it isn't just a download, it came with everything filling in. I checked off two items, clicked on submit and am all done. Start the 6 week countdown to see if I receive it on schedule.

Of course I did a little math and am now glad I decided to do the pay out. At current rate I would have to live another 25.5 years to achieve the sum amount that the lump sum is as of today. That is longer than anyone in my family has ever reached and with my health I don't see making it there. Better to take it now for the family.

VAC deposits the Lump Sum in way less than 6 weeks now. The latest I've waited recently on 2 occasions was 2 weeks max.

Got my form for lump sum payment today. I now understand a bit why it isn't just a download, it came with everything filling in. I checked off two items, clicked on submit and am all done. Start the 6 week countdown to see if I receive it on schedule.

Of course I did a little math and am now glad I decided to do the pay out. At current rate I would have to live another 25.5 years to achieve the sum amount that the lump sum is as of today. That is longer than anyone in my family has ever reached and with my health I don't see making it there. Better to take it now for the family.

If interest rates are over 3%, you’re better off leaving the money. Not sure how much you got, but that 27 year SISIP nonsense is just that….nonsense.

If interest rates are over 3%, you’re better off leaving the money. Not sure how much you got, but that 27 year SISIP nonsense is just that….nonsense.
I do have a sidebar type question and it's regarding the Manuge Class Action for the Miscalculation of Benefits. There are a lot of different stories, vague and conflicting over who is actually going to receive any type of money. My question is plain and simple and it will alleviate confusion and greyness: Are Vets like myself who have several VAC Lump Sum award amounts....are we also entitled and eligible to receive some sort of compensation from that Class Action? I understand anyone in the past who have been/are receiving a Disability Pension each month WILL be receiving compensation for sure, but like I said, what about any one in recent years who received multiple PSC Lump Sum amounts. Would we receive anything from this Manuge - Miscalculation of Benefits Class Action?

Anybody know the wait time for Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation applications

I always recommend the lump sum payout (if someones responsible).

Having an extra couple hundred bucks a month is nice but you can do a lot with $100k.

Depending on the rates your bank has you can plop $100k on a GIC for 3 months at a time land get some nice little returns. Possibly similar to a normal monthly vac award depending on when you applied.

only if you live long enough and I don't think it will increase by 3% a year in government hands.

only if you live long enough and I don't think it will increase by 3% a year in government hands.

It went up ~6.5% in 2022 and ~4.5% in 2023. That’s tax free too. FYI the monthly payout is around 3% of the total.

In 2021 the lump sum on 100% was $385,000. Today it’s $440,000. Not only are you sacrificing thousands tax free, but it’s money sheltered from divorce or bankruptcy. If you took the monthly payments and stuffed them in a safe investment in your TFSA, you’d be in an awesome position.

Last edited:
This Lump Sum processing/deposit is taking it's sweet time. My last two I only had to wait a week or so after I sent the Lump Sum form for VAC to process. This one I am now dipping into the 4th week and still no deposit yet and the PSC monthly payment still hasn't disappeared under Current Benefits. You can count that as another few days or so even after that disappears. Yep, VAC taking their sweet slow time.

This Lump Sum processing/deposit is taking it's sweet time. My last two I only had to wait a week or so after I sent the Lump Sum form for VAC to process.
If you call VAC and ask about the wait time they will tell you lump sum payments can take 4 to 6 weeks to be deposited into your account.

This Lump Sum processing/deposit is taking it's sweet time. My last two I only had to wait a week or so after I sent the Lump Sum form for VAC to process. This one I am now dipping into the 4th week and still no deposit yet and the PSC monthly payment still hasn't disappeared under Current Benefits. You can count that as another few days or so even after that disappears. Yep, VAC taking their sweet slow time.
I sent them my lump sum form the 22 of Jan and still haven't recieved payment, my case manager is "shocked" it's taking so long. What I find hard to believe is it takes any time at all when they know exactly how much you are getting and your bank info and they can't deposit it the day you say you elect for the lump sum, everything is online, 6 weeks for someone to click a button and deposit money is wild.

I sent them my lump sum form the 22 of Jan and still haven't recieved payment, my case manager is "shocked" it's taking so long. What I find hard to believe is it takes any time at all when they know exactly how much you are getting and your bank info and they can't deposit it the day you say you elect for the lump sum, everything is online, 6 weeks for someone to click a button and deposit money is wild.
It's pathetic. Still nothing today and the monthly amount is still listed in Current Benefits ugh. Like I said, this is the first time in 5 years it's taking this long to receive the Lump Sum deposit. Normally, I only have to wait 1-2 weeks max. Not sure what's going on this time. VAC is an odd duck. There's no rhyme or reason with them when it comes to wait times and deposits.

And it's useless to call or email VAC asking when you might see the Lump Sum. They give you the same answer every time......"It may take up to 6 weeks for the lump sum deposit."

Back