• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

Firebird

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
10
Frustrating part of my review is that the condition has already been approved. It was awarded at 2/5 in 2006. When I submitted for reassesment it was declined and BPA advised I appeal as policy change indicated that at minimum it should be 4/5 and the lawyer and specialist they recommended both felt that i should be 5/5 award. Not sure why it takes going on 45 weeks to complete review.
 

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,310
Points
1,060
Firebird said:
My application went to Suspended by itself and I had to start over again. It is currently at Step 3 and has been for 59 weeks. Initially I submitted my claim in 2016 so I have been waiting for a decision for over 3 years. I have called and talked to multiple people and still no answer on why it was Suspended.

Consider speaking to a Royal Canadian Legion Service Officer and asking for help. They're a free service for serving and former members and are paid to be experts at dealing with VAC on behalf of members. This includes submitting paperwork on your behalf and challanging claims that get rejected up to and including going to their review board with you.
 

BeyondTheNow

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
5
Points
530
Jarnhamar said:
Consider speaking to a Royal Canadian Legion Service Officer and asking for help. They're a free service for serving and former members and are paid to be experts at dealing with VAC on behalf of members. This includes submitting paperwork on your behalf and challanging claims that get rejected up to and including going to their review board with you.

I second this advice. Mine, Rebecca, has been fantastic.
 

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
451
Points
980
Jarnhamar said:
Consider speaking to a Royal Canadian Legion Service Officer and asking for help. They're a free service for serving and former members and are paid to be experts at dealing with VAC on behalf of members.

There is something very wrong when an outside organization has to be engaged in order for suffering veterans to receive decent and timely treatment from an organization that exists (or so it is claimed) to support them.
 

Firebird

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
10
Jarnhamar said:
Consider speaking to a Royal Canadian Legion Service Officer and asking for help. They're a free service for serving and former members and are paid to be experts at dealing with VAC on behalf of members. This includes submitting paperwork on your behalf and challanging claims that get rejected up to and including going to their review board with you.
I have spoken to both the Legion and Ombudsman and both of them indicated that there was nothing they could do while it is pending a decision. Once I receive a decision then they may be able to assist.
 

gryphonv

Full Member
Reaction score
12
Points
230
I just got off the Phone with VAC making sure they got my documents, and was told turn around time for Lump Sum payments is up to 8 weeks.

Everything I heard before was 6 weeks. So maybe this is another change to slow things down.
 

Teager

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
gryphonv said:
I just got off the Phone with VAC making sure they got my documents, and was told turn around time for Lump Sum payments is up to 8 weeks.

Everything I heard before was 6 weeks. So maybe this is another change to slow things down.

How long did it take to get the form to elect lump sum from them?
 

gryphonv

Full Member
Reaction score
12
Points
230
Teager said:
How long did it take to get the form to elect lump sum from them?

I requested the forms dec 17th, both electronic and paper copies. I had the electronic on the 20th, the paper form showed up first week of Jan.  Considering the holidays I felt that was reasonable.
 

Harley52

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
My disability claim has been at Veterans Affairs Canada now since January 8, 2018 which equates to 104 weeks far cry from 16 weeks turn around time.  Am I the only one with a lengthy wait time?  Is this normal?
 

BeyondTheNow

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
5
Points
530
Harley52 said:
My disability claim has been at Veterans Affairs Canada now since January 8, 2018 which equates to 104 weeks far cry from 16 weeks turn around time.  Am I the only one with a lengthy wait time?  Is this normal?

Unfortunately, you’ll see from many others’ comments in this thread that wait times are exceedingly long.

Assuming all documents are in order, and they’re not waiting for any other re-submissions and/or supporting documents, the decision phase takes the most time. They’re bottle-necked and understaffed. As well, as with any government organization, errors occur from time to time also.

If you haven’t touched base with anyone recently, contact them to see if they can offer any insight. Occasionally something occurs which doesn’t appear on your MyVAC account and notifications aren’t sent and/or received by the claimant.
 

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,310
Points
1,060
It's important to understand the scope of claims vac deals with.

CAF members aren't only waiting until the end of their careers to submit claims. Recruits who injure themselves at basic training (from serious stuff to twisted akles) are submitting claims as soon as they hit their units.

Members releasing seem prompted to put in a bunch of claims (from vac themselves) as well.

Not necessarily a bad thing but if a single person puts in 5-10 claims that adds up across a potential 8000 members releasing per year.

 

gryphonv

Full Member
Reaction score
12
Points
230
Just an update. Got my lump sum today. So just under 4 weeks from date I submitted it online
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
4,471
Points
1,060
Jarnhamar said:
It's important to understand the scope of claims vac deals with.

CAF members aren't only waiting until the end of their careers to submit claims. Recruits who injure themselves at basic training (from serious stuff to twisted akles) are submitting claims as soon as they hit their units.

Members releasing seem prompted to put in a bunch of claims (from vac themselves) as well.

Not necessarily a bad thing but if a single person puts in 5-10 claims that adds up across a potential 8000 members releasing per year.

Thousands of insurance companies around the world seem to be able to manage this kind of traffic. Maybe we could learn something from them, assuming we're willing.
 

RangerDave

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So... submitted a claim for a single condition in March 2017, VAC had all required documents in June 2017. Called yesterday, was told their current service standard for a single condition claim was July 2017. In other words, the oldest applications they are working on are complete (all required documents received) from July 2017, one month past mine. The agent said she would "elevate" my file to her supervisor for additional information... and that's all she would say, she had no other info than call back in a week.

At this point I'm considering it a lost cause in the short term. I'm going to call back next week and see what, if anything, has been updated. The wait time tool states 54 weeks, being over 80 weeks at this point, I'm not expecting anything for months, at best. After next week I'll let it ride for a few months.

I'm guessing with the changes as of April 2018, VAC who was already overworked and apparently changing "claims systems", is now completely overwhelmed.



 

Harley52

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey RangerDave listen up. Your dates appear to be off by 1 year.  Do you mean 2018 not 2017?
 

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,310
Points
1,060
daftandbarmy said:
Thousands of insurance companies around the world seem to be able to manage this kind of traffic. Maybe we could learn something from them, assuming we're willing.

I'd guess insurence companies have a reason to be competitive and worry about service quality as shitty service might mean clients go elsewhere. VAC has no competition.
 

meni0n

Sr. Member
Reaction score
3
Points
230
RangerDave said:
So... submitted a claim for a single condition in March 2017, VAC had all required documents in June 2017. Called yesterday, was told their current service standard for a single condition claim was July 2017. In other words, the oldest applications they are working on are complete (all required documents received) from July 2017, one month past mine. The agent said she would "elevate" my file to her supervisor for additional information... and that's all she would say, she had no other info than call back in a week.

At this point I'm considering it a lost cause in the short term. I'm going to call back next week and see what, if anything, has been updated. The wait time tool states 54 weeks, being over 80 weeks at this point, I'm not expecting anything for months, at best. After next week I'll let it ride for a few months.

I'm guessing with the changes as of April 2018, VAC who was already overworked and apparently changing "claims systems", is now completely overwhelmed.

I called a few weeks ago and was told the oldest disability claim they're working on was August 2018, so something def went wrong with your application.
 

upandatom

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
daftandbarmy said:
Thousands of insurance companies around the world seem to be able to manage this kind of traffic. Maybe we could learn something from them, assuming we're willing.

Insurance companies are not hindered with red tape and politics.

I am curious as to how many employees of VAC are actually working on files and applications. I am certain that they could of enticed a few adjustors from insurance companies to jump the fence with all that unused VAC money from previous years. Or the bureaucrats are worried about looking bad when some outside source comes in and cleans up.
 

chloe50

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Why does it take so long just to get the forms to fill out.  I called 2 weeks ago to have them sent to me and was told I would get them with in a week.  Didn't happen so I called back and was told there was a back log and to call back in a month if I hadn't received them.  When I was on the website I checked out wait times for claims be processed........it was 54 weeks. 
 

Rifleman62

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
29
Points
530
Telecom with VAC. Working on July 2018 for a single condition as of today.
 
Top