• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

Well, it appears that despite the minister's claims of improving the system the wait times for Disability Pensions has now slipped to 15 months!

Latest communication from VAC stated, "At this time, the oldest applications currently being reviewed are from February, 2017."

I doubt there is an emoji for this... maybe this...  :deadhorse:

AirDet said:
Well, it appears that despite the minister's claims of improving the system the wait times for Disability Pensions has now slipped to 15 months!

Latest communication from VAC stated, "At this time, the oldest applications currently being reviewed are from February, 2017."

What?  You don't appreciate the time and effort made in producing the glossy magazine they just sent out telling us how great it all is ?  I wish the would have saved that PR money for pensioners.

Got from VAC today. If you apply for the Caregiver Recognition Benefit, they are claiming an eight week turnaround with payment starting in the ninth week.

AirDet said:

Sounds about right. I've got  a bunch from last April still on step one and I know of a few others who are in the same situation.

I finally heard back from vac after 18 months, only to get an granted condition however, they claim they cannot determine the difference between Osteoarthritis and Hip Labral tear pain. Because of that, my percentage went from 5%-6%. I am happy that it is granted as long term it will be valuable (At least I hope so!). There is difference between the two conditions! I personally think it is laziness. I'm not sure if the battle for reassessment is worth my time?

Mediman14 said:
I finally heard back from vac after 18 months, only to get an granted condition however, they claim they cannot determine the difference between Osteoarthritis and Hip Labral tear pain. Because of that, my percentage went from 5%-6%. I am happy that it is granted as long term it will be valuable (At least I hope so!). There is difference between the two conditions! I personally think it is laziness. I'm not sure if the battle for reassessment is worth my time?

I was looking at my hip claim and noticed that they had changed it to a claim for osteoarthritis as well. It is still in stage one so I will wait and see but it isn't arthritis that is the problem.

Tcm621 said:
I was looking at my hip claim and noticed that they had changed it to a claim for osteoarthritis as well. It is still in stage one so I will wait and see but it isn't arthritis that is the problem.
My claim for Osteoarthritis (OA) was a secondary (consequence) of having a Labral tear and the surgery repairing the tear. For assessment purposes they combine the past labral tear and the OA together. My issue is, if the tear was fixed (received 5%), I only received 1% for having OA. It is the OA that is causing the issues, (can't run anymore, can't walk certain distances, have to get hip injections every 4-6 months, etc) I have made this very clear to Vac. I am grateful that it is granted but my awarded percentage just doesn't seem right!

Mediman14 said:
My claim for Osteoarthritis (OA) was a secondary (consequence) of having a Labral tear and the surgery repairing the tear. For assessment purposes they combine the past labral tear and the OA together. My issue is, if the tear was fixed (received 5%), I only received 1% for having OA. It is the OA that is causing the issues, (can't run anymore, can't walk certain distances, have to get hip injections every 4-6 months, etc) I have made this very clear to Vac. I am grateful that it is granted but my awarded percentage just doesn't seem right!
If you think your assessment was wrong you can appeal it. There is a review process on the VAC web page. It's a great place to start.

VAC uses the Merck Manual to assess claims. Below is a link to the Consumer Version. You can do some research at the link, incl the Resources tab at the far right. You may find more info to substantiate your claim

https://www.merckmanuals.com/home

This is the link to the Professional Edition:  https://www.merckmanuals.com/en-ca/professional

PS If you got an animal, there is also a Veterinary Edition, which is the one VAC probably uses.

Rifleman62 said:
PS If you got an animal, there is also a Veterinary Edition, which is the one VAC probably uses.

:rofl:

Wait times are just an estimate, a very low estimate - I have been waiting 32 weeks after all paperwork has been completed and received by VAC. Perhaps Stage 2 is just around the corner...

Well Wolf, I don't mean to burst your bubble but VAC is still processing Apps in stage3 since Feb 2017. That means that once yours gets to stage 2 you could be looking at an additional 17 months!

I have been discussing this with an MP who sits on the Veterans Committee and he was equally appalled but not surprised.

Clearly VAC needs to be fixed. Their outdated procedures must be modernized and streamlined as must the service delivery model. After speaking with him and reviewing VAC's own stats I no longer believe the "Higher than normal volume" excuse. The published facts don't support it.

AirDet said:

Submitted a claim for PTSD at the end of February. I’ve been diagnosed with severe PTSD, MDD, Anxiety and OSI. Received an email 5 July that my claim is at Stage 3. Decision stage. Some move faster than others. The people working at VAC were extremely helpful anytime I asked questions. They’re just like us in the military. Overworked, overwhelmed and underpaid. The first line people that is. I don’t expect a decision until this time next year or later.

CHIMO

I can so appreciate the overworked and underpaid.  The front line has a tough tough job.  (no I don't work for VAC, but a customer service workplace)

Imagine how easily it could be turned around if they adopted under promise, over deliver.
Change the timelines to what you can meet and reasonably deliver and advise people.

I don't know why they don't amend the deliverable and policy so people can stop getting the run around and get mad, madder, frustrated, angrier and then some. 

It shouldn't be this difficult for either side.

I just received payment for claims submitted April 2017. 14 months seems to be somewhat of a standard wait time. That said, it appears as though PTSD claims tend to move a bit faster..as do tinnitus. If anyone is on Facebook (and being med released) check out the Veterans 3b Support Group. Lots of great info based off of the experiences of others.

HappyWithYourHacky said:
I just received payment for claims submitted April 2017. 14 months seems to be somewhat of a standard wait time. That said, it appears as though PTSD claims tend to move a bit faster..as do tinnitus. If anyone is on Facebook (and being med released) check out the Veterans 3b Support Group. Lots of great info based off of the experiences of others.

Submitted 4 months ago and my claim was completed last Thursday. PTSD. Decision letter on the way.

CHIMO

I appealed my Rt hip OA application, They bureau pensions advocates  (BPA) sent me a form to get filled out by an MO. Well I did, not only did I lose 1/4 of my range of motion with my Right Hip, it was discovered I lost over half of my ROM (range of motion) in my opposite (Left) hip. Giving that my Left hip was granted a percentage in the past, would I need to get another reassessment? Or does BPA take note of it and apply it without myself asking for it?

Sapper44 said:
Submitted 4 months ago and my claim was completed last Thursday. PTSD. Decision letter on the way.

Update. 100% entitlement. Very fast decision. Make getting better a priority. Concentrate on your health. Mental and physical. The rest falls into place.

CHIMO
[/quote

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this.  Today I received notification I’m receiving “five-fifths for service in a Special Duty Service (SDA Afghanistan and surrounding area)” but they don’t elaborate on exactly what that means.  Anyone able to decipher that before I have to goto the VAC office in person to try and get an answer?

5/5 means your disability is completely service connected, and you'll get the full amount of any disability award. A SDA injury automatically entitles you to VIP benefits, or that's how it was explained to me by VAC a few years ago.

I received a decision on the 2nd DA for my claims today.
Stage 3 took close to 7.5 months, or 30 weeks from when I was seen by the VAC doctor and the decision.

Using the VAC disability tables to estimate what might be approved, I was very close to the final result.

Back