• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USS Donald Cook incident

JLB50

Reaction score
This somehow escaped my attention until I read about it just the other day, so if this is old news to most of you, then sorry.

Evidently, when in the Black Sea in 2014, the Arleigh Burke destroyer USS Donald Cook had its Aegis system disabled by an unarmed Sukhoi SU-24 equipped with the latest electronic warfare system.  Evidently, all the screens on the Cook went blank, resulting in an inability of the weapons systems to get targetting information. Supposedly, the SU-24 made 12 overhead passes, each time doing a simulated missile attack on the destroyer.  The crew of the ship was evidently quite demoralized afterwards.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.  Again, sorry if this is old news that's already been discussed.

JLB50 said:
This somehow escaped my attention until I read about it just the other day, so if this is old news to most of you, then sorry.

Evidently, when in the Black Sea in 2014, the Arleigh Burke destroyer USS Donald Cook had its Aegis system disabled by an unarmed Sukhoi SU-24 equipped with the latest electronic warfare system.  Evidently, all the screens on the Cook went blank, resulting in an inability of the weapons systems to get targetting information. Supposedly, the SU-24 made 12 overhead passes, each time doing a simulated missile attack on the destroyer.  The crew of the ship was evidently quite demoralized afterwards.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.  Again, sorry if this is old news that's already been discussed.

IMHO, RF jamming/spoofing that made targeting the aircraft difficult. This is nothing new.

As per making the screens on-board the Cook go blank... they'd NEVER release that information. The only way I could see that possibly happening though, is a computer overload that caused it to just throw its hands up and reboot. That's purely speculation, but I suspect that's already been fixed via software update.

JLB50 said:
Again, sorry if this is old news that's already been discussed.

The original discussion began here, if interested,
http://army.ca/forums/threads/111881/post-1303542.html#msg1303542
Reply #807

JLB50 said:

Source/link please.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2014/11/13/aegis-fail-in-black-sea-ruskies-burn-down-uss-donald-duck/

Not sure of the veracity of the source, but I've seen several several different websites with the same story.  It could be just an unsubstantiated rumour that is repeated ad infinitum.  Reminds me of my late brother in law who returned from his stint inthe U.S. Navy during the Vietnam war years. He swore up and down that, while aboard the destroyer he served on, he and the rest of the crew spotted a UFO directly overhead their ship; and that, once they returned to home port, some "men in black" from Washington came on board and refused to let any of the crew leave until they signed a paper saying they hadn't seen anything out of the ordinary.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had heard that story, whether true or false.

According to the link provided by JLB50, the SU-24s were using the Khibiny ECM system to disable the Cook's radar. However, there is this little snippet from KRET Website (manufacturere of the Khibiny) stating otherwise:

By the way, nowadays Khibiny is being installed on Su-30, Su-34 and Su-35, so the famous April attack in the Black sea on USS Donald Cook by Su-24 bomber jet allegedly using Khibiny complex is nothing but a newspaper hoax. The destroyer's buzzing did take place. This EW system can completely neutralise the enemy radar, but Khibiny are not installed on Su-24.

Article Link

Back